Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 02-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #1  

Default Phentermine

Has anyone taken phentermine and what were your results?

I just went to my doctor, and after stumping my trainer and nutritionist as to why I am not losing weight, she is running a thyroid test (although I was checked last year for it, and I was fine) and if that test comes back fine, then she is going to offer me a perscription for phentermine, if I would like to take it to see if it can "kick start" my weight loss.

Any experiences will be welcome!

Thanks
dimples1125j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

There have been a few threads about phentermine, here is one you may find interesting
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81701
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #3  

I am taking it combined with Adenosine/B12 injections weekly and am having great success. I haven't updated my signature line in awhile, but I am getting close to 35 lb loss since October 11!
missionaccomplished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/Ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I did have success, but I didn't like the side effects. It made me REALLY wired during the day, severe cotton mouth, and it added to my insomnia. I was hardly eating anything and that wasn't healthy at all.
crbowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:39 PM   #5  
Getting a new Image

S/C/G: 230/225/160

Height: 5'8

I did take it it worked great but it got to be expensive for me and once i stopped taking it i gained the weight plus some!
*~marie~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173.5/164.5/133

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I have been taking it for about 3 weeks. My doctor advised me to experiment with what time of day I take it, so that I don't have sleep disruptions, etc. My doctor has me on it, but it's merely a tool while I adapt healthier food choices, portions and exercise. So far I have lost 9 lbs.
ajsnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:35 PM   #7  
Julissa

S/C/G: 221.6/219.4/150

Height: 5' 1"

Works great while you are taking it but as soon as you stop your hunger comes back full force.
californiajuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 173.5/164.5/133

Height: 5'3 1/2"

[/QUOTE]My doctor has me on it, but it's merely a tool while I adapt healthier food choices, portions and exercise. So far I have lost 9 lbs.[/QUOTE]
ajsnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #9  
Momma on a Mission

Height: 5'8"

I used phentermine with great results. I can't remember the exact pounds lost. You generally are required to have a BMI over 40. The cost was what took me off the med. The price started at about $35 per month, then rose drastically. Due to potential side effects (VERY high blood pressure was my worst), I had to also see the doctor every month. No "see you in six months, here's your pills" I tried the generics, but the effectiveness was very unpredictable. If I had the "blue speckled pills" (one of the generics) I could lose over 10 pounds a month. If I got the solid white pills, I lost nothing or gained a couple of pounds. At the end, I was paying $95 per month supply and paying the doctor $50 per month. I liked how I felt on the pills and was getting slimmer, but could not afford it. Insurance just won't cover this stuff normally. As soon as I went off the drug the weight piled back on and I got pretty down. A few years later I tried it again (ordering from online sources), but it did not have the same effectiveness. Maybe I developed a resistance? Maybe the formulation had changed, I don't know.

I second AJSnoopy. It will not be a solution. It has to be viewed as something to help with your willpower as your redesign you eating and exercise habits for the longterm. If you have any history of depression- I say- STAY AWAY.
mtnheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:38 PM   #10  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

Mtnheart, This is an interesting thread, as my DR just prescribed me phentermine today. I start it tomorrow. I figure I will weigh in tomorrow morning before my shower and see what really happens with it (for me at least) I have been battling this 20(ish) lbs for 2 years and it just doesnt want to leave. I lose 10 gain 10, ect...for 2 years! My dr has been following my weight loss and has made recommendations that I have taken and they helped, but he can also see that something has to change or I will end up extremely discusted! So he gave me 60 pills (2 mo worth) I take 1 per day. I am excited to try it but also nervous as this is the first time I have ever been prescribed anything for weight loss. I started my journey at 215lbs and I got to 160 then bounced to 180 and now I teeter about 175. My DR knows I dont want to be SKINNY (aka, for me 130lbs) but I want to be a healthy 150-155lbs. I feel and look good there.
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #11  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

My best friend took it 2 yrs ago and lost 30 lbs in 3 months. I saw her last week and she has gained it all back. She had the side effects already mentioned here: hyper, insomnia, dry mouth. She really thought when she was taking it that it would train her to eat less when she came off of it. I guess she was wrong, because she gained it all back.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #12  
Gettin Closer!!

See I am not a BIG eater, so that is not a problem for me. I just cant seem to get these last pounds to budge. I hope it works for me.. I know how to eat right and exercise.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:02 PM   #13  
Momma on a Mission

Height: 5'8"

StillTryin,

My understanding was that the med is for appetite control and to increase your energy level. I think it does this by tweaking the seretonin levels. I'm not a doc or nurse, just thinking back to the explanations I got. I was told this med was not for the last 10 pounds, it was for the first 50-100 pounds. If you already exercise and control your portions, you may not have good luck.

Your doctor of course knows you best. It was 2000 when I took Phentermine, maybe the formula or recommendations have changed. I believe you will lose and feel great while on the med. My worst side effect was my blood pressure. It was the first time in my life I had high blood pressure. 60 days will be too long to go without a blood pressure check, so try to check it weekly yourself if possible. The nurse at my doc will check it for me when I drop by if they are not too busy. Symptoms of high blood pressure include headaches and flashing spots in your eyes. You may want to look up other symptoms online.

Best of luck. You are doing the right thing by reading and talking to others about it.
mtnheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #14  
Gettin Closer!!

Thanks Mtn, I have fairly low BP to begin with...but I will have it checked every week just to be sure.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #15  
Spiritual Being

S/C/G: 155/152/135

Height: 5' 6''

Phentermine is an amphetamine. It is addictive (habit-forming). That is why the experts say you should only take it for 3 - 6 weeks. Sorry, I come from a family that is and has been dealing with the disease of addiction. I take this kind of stuff very seriously. If you can avoid taking this kind of med, please do. Just my humble opinion.
rnntn is offline   Reply With Quote