Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/177/155

Height: 5'5"

Wink Phenocal and Proactol

has anyone tried these? I have been researching for a few wks now and these are the two that seem the best with virtually NO side effects. I have NEVER taken a diet pill in my life and want a jump start. I have been working out and eating right and have lost about 3 pounds. I need a boost.

Thanks!!!
Old 04-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #2  

Default Phenocal

So, no one has heard about this diet pill? I did a Yahoo answer search and had several people say that it works-you have to eat right etc. But there arent any of the jittery side effects. I am on the fence as I have never tried a pill in my life <to lose weight>

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2008, 05:12 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Sorry, diet pills really only work as much as you believe them to work and they are sometimes dangerous. There are a few people here who have done research into diet pill ingredients and can give you information based on the ingredients.

I personally looked at the ingredients and it looks like they put fiber in it to make you feel full and other standard diet pill ingredients that aren't proven to work. They also put B vitamins in it which help you feel good.

Also, 5-htp looks to be another mood enhancer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-HTP

Green tea in its natural form has awesome antioxidants and there has been some evidence that drinking green tea can have some minimal effect on weight loss. There has been no proof that it has the same effect in pill form.

Here are some excerpts of the various ingredients in the pill as reviewed by the friendly people who brought you 3FC

Hoodia - Hoodia does show promise but only in the actual plant and there have been issues with harvesting it for use. Here is an entire article on it
http://www.3fatchicks.com/Diets/Diet...odia_Gordonii/

Chromium -
http://www.3fatchicks.com/Diets/Diet...um_Picolinate/
Chromium is believed to be an essential trace mineral. One form, chromium picolinate, has been sold as a weight loss aid for many years. It is claimed to boost athletic performance, build muscle, and promote weight loss. The Federal Trade Commission have determined these claims to be deceptive.

While chromium may have health benefits, extensive clinical trials have shown that chromium does not have an effect on weight loss. Chromium can cause side effects in many people, including everything from stomach discomfort to genetic mutations in DNA. Chromium may also interfere with other supplements or medications.

Conclusion:
Avoid chromium supplements. They do not aid weight loss, and could result in health problems.

Garcinia -
http://www.3fatchicks.com/Diets/Diet...%28HCA%29/
Garcinia, or Hydroxycitric Acid (HCA), is commonly sold as a weight loss supplement. It is available alone, but is usually sold in a combination pill that includes other supplements such as ephedra or chromium. It is often sold as CitriMax or CitraLean. It is claimed to reduce appetite, burn fat, or prevent the formation of fat.

Studies on animals suggested that HCA might affect the way the body burns carbohydrates and stores fat. However, no studies have shown similar effects on humans. An extensive study by JAMA concluded: Garcinia cambogia failed to produce significant weight loss and fat mass loss beyond that observed with placebo.

Is HCA safe? According to Berkeley Wellness: no one knows if HCA has any long-term adverse effects; some animal research found that it's toxic. It may be combined with other diet compounds, and the safety of such products?witch's brews of herbs and chemicals?is certainly questionable. The PDR for Nutritional Supplements states that pregnant or nursing mothers, and those with dementia syndromes such as Alzheimer's disease should avoid HCA. They also state that those with diabetes should be cautious with it.

Conclusion:
There is no evidence to show that HCA is beneficial for weight loss, and it can be harmful in some cases. Recent studies have also linked it to liver damage. It is better to wait and see what future research shows before taking it.

Last edited by nelie; 04-08-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:26 PM   #4  

Nelie- Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it!
Old 07-01-2008, 12:36 AM   #5  

Default Yes it works for me. I feel great and I already lost 5lbs.

My appetite has been suppressed, I have a lot more energy, exercise is important and trying to eat sensible meals do help.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #6  

wich one did you take and how long have you been taking it?

Side effects?

Thanks!!
Old 07-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #7  

I have been taking the Phenocal, once in the morning and once mid-afternoon. I started taking them about a week ago. No side effects. I don't feel hungry and I do not get any jitters, but I am experiencing more energy. I am also able to stop eating after 8:30 p.m. Yesterday, I have noticed that my jeans are feeling a little bit looser. I try not to weigh myself everyday, only once a week at the same time. I will let everyone know how I am doing next week. So far, I feel great and am not experiencing any discomfort whatsoever.

Hope this helps, since I myself was skeptical at the beginning. Take care!
Old 11-25-2008, 01:06 AM   #8  
BigApple18

I have lost 15 pounds in 4 weeks with phenocal and i have not experienced any side effects. I felt very energetic and which enhanced my workout performance. Thumbs are up for phenocal .
Old 07-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #9  

Has anyone else tried this? Did you reach your goal?
Old 01-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #10  

Exclamation Phenocal...

“Sorry, diet pills really only work as much as you believe them to work and they are sometimes dangerous. There are a few people here who have done research into diet pill ingredients and can give you information based on the ingredients.

I personally looked at the ingredients and it looks like they put fiber in it to make you feel full and other standard diet pill ingredients that aren't proven to work. They also put B vitamins in it which help you feel good.

Also, 5-htp looks to be another mood enhancer.

Green tea in its natural form has awesome antioxidants and there has been some evidence that drinking green tea can have some minimal effect on weight loss. There has been no proof that it has the same effect in pill form.

Here are some excerpts of the various ingredients in the pill as reviewed by the friendly people who brought you 3FC

Hoodia - Hoodia does show promise but only in the actual plant and there have been issues with harvesting it for use. Here is an entire article on it

Chromium -
Chromium is believed to be an essential trace mineral. One form, chromium picolinate, has been sold as a weight loss aid for many years. It is claimed to boost athletic performance, build muscle, and promote weight loss. The Federal Trade Commission have determined these claims to be deceptive.

While chromium may have health benefits, extensive clinical trials have shown that chromium does not have an effect on weight loss. Chromium can cause side effects in many people, including everything from stomach discomfort to genetic mutations in DNA. Chromium may also interfere with other supplements or medications.

Conclusion:
Avoid chromium supplements. They do not aid weight loss, and could result in health problems.

Garcinia -
Garcinia, or Hydroxycitric Acid (HCA), is commonly sold as a weight loss supplement. It is available alone, but is usually sold in a combination pill that includes other supplements such as ephedra or chromium. It is often sold as CitriMax or CitraLean. It is claimed to reduce appetite, burn fat, or prevent the formation of fat.

Studies on animals suggested that HCA might affect the way the body burns carbohydrates and stores fat. However, no studies have shown similar effects on humans. An extensive study by JAMA concluded: Garcinia cambogia failed to produce significant weight loss and fat mass loss beyond that observed with placebo.

Is HCA safe? According to Berkeley Wellness: no one knows if HCA has any long-term adverse effects; some animal research found that it's toxic. It may be combined with other diet compounds, and the safety of such products?witch's brews of herbs and chemicals?is certainly questionable. The PDR for Nutritional Supplements states that pregnant or nursing mothers, and those with dementia syndromes such as Alzheimer's disease should avoid HCA. They also state that those with diabetes should be cautious with it.

Conclusion:
There is no evidence to show that HCA is beneficial for weight loss, and it can be harmful in some cases. Recent studies have also linked it to liver damage. It is better to wait and see what future research shows before taking it."

After reading what several people had to say regarding diet supplements, I decided to go to the official website for Phenocal and check it out. I personally have to check ingredients in everything I want to try due to possible medication interactions. So as I looked at this website for Phenocal and the ingredient list was right there with Chromium Picolinate at the top of the list and it included Hoodia as well. Just be careful of the health risks, not just whether or not you are experiencing obvious side effects.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #11  

Question Proactol Ingredients

Proactol - ingredients:

Opuntia ficus-indica fiber complex (Prickly Pear extract)

Microcry stalline cellulose - is a term for refined wood pulp and is used as a texturizer, an anti-caking agent, a fat substitute, an emulsifier, an extender, and a bulking agent in food production and frequently used in vitamin supplements and tablets.

Calcium hydrogen phosphate dihydrate - Dicalcium phosphate is mainly used as a dietary supplement in prepared breakfast cereals, dog treats, enriched flour, and noodle products. It is also used as a tableting agent in some pharmaceutical preparations, including some products meant to eliminate body odor. It is used in poultry feed. It is also used in some toothpastes as a tartar control agent.

Silica - In its capacity as a refractory, it is useful in fiber form as a high-temperature thermal protection fabric. In cosmetics, it is useful for its light-diffusing properties and natural absorbency. Colloidal silica is used as a wine and juice fining agent. In pharmaceutical products, silica aids powder flow when tablets are formed. It is also used as a thermal enhancement compound in ground source heat pump industry.

Povidone - a polymerized form of vinylpyrolidone, which is a white hygroscopic powder that is easily soluble in water and used as a dispersing and suspending agent in drugs.

Magnesium stearate - Magnesium stearate is often used as a diluent in the manufacture of medical tablets, capsules and powders. In this regard, the substance is also useful, because it has lubricating properties, preventing ingredients from sticking to manufacturing equipment during the compression of chemical powders into solid tablets; magnesium stearate is the most commonly used lubricant for tablets.

All information was obtained through the official Proactol website and Wikipedia
Closed Thread