Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 07-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #91  

Default wow what a great question

I can see from all the posts this was a great question and shows that we are not all created equal in the diet realm of what works and what doesn't. But, that we are all determined to find an answer.

Here's my list of what hasn't worked:
1. Slim Fast (too much sugar affected PCOS)
2. Weight watchers (before point counting)
3. Over eaters annonymous (made me feel bad about myself)
4. South Beach (worked, but got off track)
5. Eat right for blood type (too hard to cook for different types so we weren't consistent)
5. Metobolic Diet (same reason as 5)
6. Atkins (health challenge from high protein/fat)
7. Ideal Protein (lost weight, had health challenges, gained all plus back)
8. Weight loss pills and products (Hoodia, PhenPhen, patches, dieters teas, detox, xanthia (I think that's what it was called Blue bottle) etc.

What has worked:
1. Consuming no less than 1200 calories a day
2. Low glycemic food choices (allows me to control PCOS and still not feel like I am on a diet)
3. Exercise (not crazy exercise like hours at the gym but core strengthening and muscle building)
4. Journaling (what are food triggers, emotions, how am I doing etc)
5. Accountability partner/cheerleader support person
and drum roll please........
6. REALIZING I DIDN'T GAIN IT OVERNIGHT AND WON'T LOSE IT OVERNIGHT. BEING KIND TO MYSELF FOR MINOR SLIPS AND GETTING BACK ON THE HORSE INSTEAD OF SAYING SCREW IT I MESSED UP TODAY AND PIGGING OUT BECAUSE OF IT. This took me a loooooong loooooong time to come too. LOL

Everyone pat yourselves on the back for trying and not giving up. Love yourselves no matter what. And remember being overwieght is not about being undisciplined. If it was we would not be trying all these things time and time again to get the weight off. But, we must find what works for our life, our personality, our pocketbook, our physiology and then discipline ourselves to apply the principals of what will work.

Hang in there girls and keep up the work on the weight loss.
dietertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietertoo View Post
got off track)

6. REALIZING I DIDN'T GAIN IT OVERNIGHT AND WON'T LOSE IT OVERNIGHT. BEING KIND TO MYSELF FOR MINOR SLIPS AND GETTING BACK ON THE HORSE INSTEAD OF SAYING SCREW IT I MESSED UP TODAY AND PIGGING OUT BECAUSE OF IT. This took me a loooooong loooooong time to come too. LOL

Everyone pat yourselves on the back for trying and not giving up. Love yourselves no matter what. And remember being overwieght is not about being undisciplined. If it was we would not be trying all these things time and time again to get the weight off. But, we must find what works for our life, our personality, our pocketbook, our physiology and then discipline ourselves to apply the principals of what will work.

Hang in there girls and keep up the work on the weight loss.
Thank you for posting this. Even though for many people itmay be 'obvious', it's a huge epiphany that i'm finally starting to understand...and that if sugary food makes me feel crappy and hung over, then it will do the same tomorow...and to, uh, not eat it!
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:11 AM   #93  

Default :o))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Goddess View Post
Thank you for posting this. Even though for many people itmay be 'obvious', it's a huge epiphany that i'm finally starting to understand...and that if sugary food makes me feel crappy and hung over, then it will do the same tomorow...and to, uh, not eat it!
You are welcome for the post. The road to where we want to go can be a long one can't it??
dietertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 288(WLS)/160/150

Height: 5' 6.25"

Most commonly known diets - you name it, I have done it. However, the worst is my past addiction to Diet Coke and Carbs.....Not so much about the amount I was eating, it was what I was eating. My weight loss stalled and I could not figure out why until recently.
terrid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #95  

Height: 5'7"

Metabolic Research Center, was starving all of the time even though I did lose 4 lbs a week or so. Couldn't stick with more than 4-6 weeks because I was hungry and it was soooo restrictive! I am sad to see some of you posted Zone I'm on that one now!
summersbluepits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:32 PM   #96  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 250/check tracker/150

Height: 5'5"

I am ressurecting this thread. lol

It's so interesting to see what has and hasn't worked for everyone.

For me what didn't work...

All diet pills except SlimQuick. I did try SlimQuick a few years back with great success. Haven't used them this time around because I am nursing my daughter and would never use something like that.

VL Carb diets, I need my carbs, can't have a completely restricted diet.

Starving/binging

Adipex...stuff is horrible.

What has worked for me!!

WEIGHT WATCHERS! I couldn't have gotten this far without it. I feel like I have made a lifestyle change, not gone on a diet.
tschaff04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:31 AM   #97  

S/C/G: Starting 181.5, goal 130

Height: 5'3"

I tried the Slim Fast thing. I had horrible "movements", vomiting and stomach cramps then a week later, while I was still having this and using it, I went to buy more. There was none on the shelves and the sign there said they had to recall them because of something wrong with the product. I didn't get the story on it but it took me another almost two weeks to recover fully from it. I think the only weight I lost was from the "movements" and the vomiting. I would rather not try that again.

Today I started Metabolife, I am hoping it helps me at least jump start this weight loss.
runsfromcameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:21 AM   #98  

Weight Watchers - followed it without any cheating and gained 2 pounds the first week

Hoodia - The brand I used gave me severe brain fog, to the extent that I couldn't remember the multiplication tables, but understood why the hunter gathers used it for treks. If you were hungry, you didn't care if you were hungry. If you decide to try it anyway, I suggest trying it on a weekend, just don't expect to be able to function efficiently in a work environment if it has anywhere near the effect it had on me.
deetermined2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 318/291/220

Height: 6'3.5

Default Tried a lot of things!!

Limited calorie intake
Weight Watchers
Atkins Diet
Xendarin when it had ephedra, I had a seizure
Hydroxycut
Adipex Had a crazy heartbeat
Bontril Lost 20lbs but gained it back
Alli
And everything else that is sold in stores for weightloss.
Whole foods diet.
Eating six meals a day with high protein and low carb.
I do at least 30 mins of cardio four times a week with all these things and I almost always plateau after 20lbs of weightloss.
The only thing that worked for me getting past a plateau was doing a bootcamp 3 days a week with my cardio but there is no way I can do this while working and going to school. I've had my thyroid checked out and looked for different things. I just wished that I could find something that works for steady results. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Sandman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 242/ticker/140

Height: 5'7

weight watchers
hydroxycut
slim fast
anything without excercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Beans View Post
To put it in a nutshell, nothing with a trademark! If it costs money and/or comes in a package, I'm suspicious.

This is correct for me too. Weight watchers especially presents itself as a scam that feeds on people who dont know how to or dont want to count their own calories.

Edited to ad my conclusion: If you arent willing to learn how to count your own calories I think you are telling the world that you are once again willing to put your health in the hands of another dependency system that may or may not work. Just sayin.

Last edited by The Last Noel; 01-01-2011 at 08:36 PM.
The Last Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:14 AM   #101  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

When I think about this it is amazing how many times I have made the same mistakes!

Fasting or fruit and veg “detox“ plans - the idea was only ever to kick start my new diet plan, but I always ran into trouble because I can‘t actually eat that much fruit before I am sick.

Anything with recipes: there are so many foods in all the recipes that I cannot eat that I end up with nothing.

Vegetarian annnd vegan - I like meat, it‘s what I eat.

Atkins - sounded a good idea for a meat eater, but it was so e
xpensive, left me with too much I couldn‘t have When I think about this it is amazing how many times I have made the same mistakes!

Fasting or fruit and veg “detox“ plans - the idea was only ever to kick start my new diet plan, but I always ran into trouble because I can‘t actually eat that much fruit before I am sick.

Anything with recipes: there are so many foods in all the recipes that I cannot eat that I end up with nothing.

Vegetarian annnd vegan - I like meat, it‘s what I eat.

Atkins - sounded a good idea for a meat eater, but it was so expensive, left me with too much I couldn‘t have and was ridiculously repetitive with teh eggs and bacon.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:36 AM   #102  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

When I think about this it is amazing how many times I have made the same mistakes!

Vegetarian and vegan - I like meat, it‘s what I eat.

Atkins - sounded a good idea for a meat eater, but it was so expensive, left me with too much I couldn‘t have and was ridiculously repetitive with teh eggs and bacon.

Reading and thinking about diets that I never actually did!

Alli - the doctors were so keen for me to try it, but even reading the leaflet I knew it was not for me because my calories simply don‘t come from fat. I counnnted my fatt for each meal and it was too low to bother taking hte tablet. Get me a pill that will block some carb calories and we‘ll talk.

Exclusion diets - there is already so little I can eat, and if you are not genuinely allergic to things you hope to kid yourself you are allergic to then it doesn‘t motivate you. Oh, and because soya milk tastes like some kind of accidental drain spillage.

The ridiculous over-exercising plan - welcome to hospital!

Undereating - anything under 3 meals and two snacks is doomed to failure, and I must make sure I track not just waht I eat but how often. More than 3 hours without food and I will start to go off track.

Drinking lots of water - I know many people swear by loads of water, but I‘ve always been a naturally heavy water drinker anyway. I think that drinking more water actually stretched out my stomach and appetite rather than filling up my stomach.

Trying to be someone else. You read about what “fills you up“ and what strategies stop you wanting this and that, and I used to think I had to follow these rules, that fruit would fill me up, protein would fill me up, to eat rye crackers instead of chips.... it isn‘t for me. Fruit and protein leave me still desperately hungry, if not more hungry than before. I cannot substitute a craving - if I want chocolate there is absolutely no point whatsoever in having anything at all that is not chocolate because it will not be chocolate. I can‘t be anyone but me, and what works for other people is great and they are welcome to it, but now I know articles like that rarely work for me. Ditto “don‘t eat unless you are hungry“ - see above, not for me, I must eat BEFORE being hungry or I will go all day (or more) with nothing then binge.

Getting too hung up on healthy weight - I won‘t get healthy, and evidence for all these “diseases“ they threaten us with is poor for BMIs under 28, and BMI is such nonsense anyway so I could never pick something I wanted because I got so mad with contradictory advice. This time I have just picked a weight that I like the sound of.

On the whole I‘d say most things actually did work for me, it was more that I only ever intended temporary results each time, I‘d diet to fit in a wedding dress, to wear a swimsuit, to get IVF treatment. There was never a plan to continue the diet beyond achieving the goal, so that was not an issue. I knew I was still going to be flabby and odd-shaped and disabled so I was not going to turn into a 20-something ravishing bikini beauty. If I was not going to be a UK size 8 with a flat belly, blonde hair, beautifully made-up, tall and successful then there was no point being thin. (Health has never been an issue, when you are chronically sick and disabled “health“ means a different thing, when I am conscious and out of bed I call that healthy.) I never planned for a long-term goal or a length of time, I never figured it would take months to reach a goal, it was always about 10 weeks to my ‘goal‘ achivement and I didn‘t think beyond, even to think that it would take until 6 months away to reach my “healthy“ weight.

Last edited by RoseRodent; 01-02-2011 at 04:40 AM.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #103  
wanna be thin again!

S/C/G: 236/214/165

Height: 5 ft 8 inch

I was the carb diet recently and lost 11 lbs in 3 weeks but got bored with the diet started counting calories gained all my weight plus some back so now im on ww and so far its working well for me!
amosnmarie165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Height: 5'11"

I've tried lots of shortcuts that I only acknowledge as shortcuts now.

The only thing that has worked for me is educating myself on the subject and sticking to it. Calorie deficits (without eating below 1200 cals/day) and commitment to exercise with an emphasis on strength training.

a.k.a. Eat less, move more.
prepping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #105  

S/C/G: 335/313.6

Height: 5'4

wow...
this is what i can remember off the top of my head

weight watchers in 6th grade around 1990
atkins and low fat diets during the high school years
going to diet doctors...aka a dr that will prescribe speed to anyone
minithins and ephridriene and caffeine pills oh and something in a blue bottle about 7 years ago
refusing to eat for days
finger down my throat...couldn't stand it all i did was gag...that was my short lived attempt at purging
what was those pills that was supposed to trap the fat,,
going to curves every day
the greenbean-ice cream-vinegar-beet diet
apple cider vinegar
being a vegetarian for 2 years..wasn't doing it for weight loss but i probably gained..also tried my hand at vegan for maybe a month, and raw for a week. just not me

the only time i have lost any real amount of weight has been on a low calorie plan...the first time i was doing it back in 05 i was doing good, i was down to 275 or so..but then lost my job, my apartment, my car, my friends..basically my life....moved back in with my mom, and within a month or two of wearing pjs and sweat pants..i went to put on a pair of jeans....nope...ate myself out of them.
last year i got down to 314, screwed it up when i went to a friends house and never could get back on it..
this time..i am allowing myself more freedom...with free meals..and a more carefree attitude...i figure as much as i weigh i can drift through the first 50 pounds or so, with just light occasional exercise, and if i want chocolate i will have it..not everyday of course...but tom...yeah...need it..no beating myself up. why make it harder for myself...

and it seems like the majority of people, not everyone, has only had success with calorie counting
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote