Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 153/137/125

Height: 5'5"

Default do you detox?

Hi 3FCers! My diet for the last month or so has been pretty healthy, but I never did any sort of detox routine or juice fast before. A friend of a friend swears by it (I didn't hear what kind of detox she did) with all the advertised statements (more energy, weight loss, etc). Has anyone tried doing a detox routine, and if so, what did you do and what were the results? I don't think I could handle much more than a few days of detox, a week or so at most! Ideally I would also not want to do something so drastic that I wouldn't feel well enough to work or exercise during the detoxing process. What are reliable sources of info to guide me through a detox if it's actually a good idea for me?

Thanks so much for reading!
TigerSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Nope! All scientific research that I've seen has shown that our bodies do a really, really good job of detoxing themselves. We have lots of organs in our bodies that serve as natural, constant detoxifiers, including the liver and kidneys.

Most detoxes have no effect, and some can even be harmful, so if you do decide to take some sort of detox product, you should be careful to investigate the main ingredients and what side effects they may have.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

I tried doing a "fruit fast" for three days once, all that really happened was that I was on a sugar high for the first entire day and then after that felt rather weak and shaky because, at least I assume that this is why, the lack of protein and fats. I could only imagine that a pure juice or water "cleanse", "detox", or "fast" would leave one feeling even worse. I would never recommend the fruit fast to anyone unless their goal was to feel like crap for a while.

I really doubt that doing these have any real effect. If you really want to 'detox' yourself, the most simple and healthy way is to just to eat very clean and healthful foods. Our bodies will do the rest for us.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote