Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #1  
The Mabbinator

Default Hcg

I see a thread on this from last year about how Dr. Simeon's HCG diet is a fraud. The thing is, my mother works with a woman who is on this plan under her doctor's supervision. She lost 30 pounds in 30 days. She's now down 36 total and is off the synthetic hormones. I don't know what weight she started at but it couldn't have been more than 200. Obviously it works. What I'd like to know is if it's really bad for you. I'm not a fan of anything involving hormones (bad experiences with birth control pills). And I can't believe losing that much weight in that time is good. Then again, it worked. Any thoughts? Experiences?
Old 01-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #2  
it's always something

I agree that losing weight that quickly is never good. Did it work? Well, starvation diets will cause rapid weight loss, but they bring a variety of health problems and almost everyone regains.

Hcg is not legal for weight loss in this country, the FDA has ruled against it. Anyone that dispenses it for this purpose could lose their license. Your friend's doctor is taking a big risk.

Also, this plan requires a very strict 500 calorie diet. A study comparing results from a 500 calorie diet both with and without the Hcg showed the same results, so it was the starvation that caused the weight loss and not the hormone.

So in the end, the question is really is it wise to starve the weight off?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:33 AM   #3  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Sounds like to me that the 500 calorie diet is what is causing the weight loss. You produce HCG naturally when you're pregnant and I know when I was pregnant, I wanted to eat more!
Old 01-24-2008, 09:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/174/165

I went today to weight loss clinic and got a b12 and hcg shot. i am looking forward to seeing good results but the 500 calorie diet is just way too low.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I went to a weight loss doctor in the early 90's who did the vitamin B shots, and a variety of pills and suplements, including an appetite suppressant, vitamins, thyroid medication and some other hormone medication I don't remember (although I think it must have been HCG, because I remember the doctor saying something about it being associated with pregnant women).

I lost a lot of weight in the first month, but nearly also lost my job in a hospital because of the hyper jitters it gave me (I think my boss thought I was on illegal drugs). The second month was much less effective, and the side effects made me so sick I gave it up before month 3. I wasn't impressed, and the track record for these treatments is extremely poor. They just don't work for 99.99% of the people who try them.

Taking it off fast, usually just results in putting it on even faster. I really believe that the concoctions did permanent damage to my health, but since I can't go back and do it over, I have no way of proving it. I think there is a lot of evidence that quick weight loss methods rarely work, can have adverse side effects, and may even lower your metabolism making the next weight loss attempt more difficult.
Closed Thread