Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 03-23-2007, 02:01 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default MiracleBurn DOES IT WORK!!!

I am sooo tempted to try miracleburn...has anyone tried it? Does it work? They claim to use REAL Hoodia and claim to be the only diet pill that does--that is why you can only buy via internet, etc.....Their testimonial pics do look "real" check them out:

http://www.miracleburn.com/gc3/customerpictures.htm
michelinwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Save your money.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:41 PM   #3  

There is only one specific species of hoodia that has been claimed to have appetite suppressant qualities: Hoodia gordonii. A product could say it has "hoodia" and contain another species, not this one.

There is no published research that shows that any company has been able to manufacture an effective drug based on hoodia gordonii. A few major pharm companies (such as Pfizer) have held the rights to make such a drug, but never found a way to do it.

Even if some "miracle" over-the-counter supplement claimed to have hoodia of any type, there is no guarantee that it would. Many many many many nutritional supplements are found, upon testing, that they contain little or none of the active ingredient they claim to have.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:11 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

They are recycling old weight loss diet pill ingredients into a new weight loss diet pill. Unfortunately, the old ones don't work so the chances of this one working are pretty much nil.

Hoodia (the promising one) isn't on the market yet so their story would be false.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:08 AM   #5  
resident lactivist

Anything that has "miracle" in its name...isn't.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:12 PM   #6  

Height: 5'6

That's what I figured.....I was watching the View (TiVo'd it yesterday) and saw one of the guys who wrote "You on a Diet"....he gave some advice about eating 6 walnuts 1/2 hour before a meal and you will feel fuller.....maybe I'll just give that a try Wonder if I can get the glazed ones (haha)
michelinwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:21 PM   #7  
want2bTrue

S/C/G: 178/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Lightbulb That's what I've come across, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by funniegrrl View Post
There is only one specific species of hoodia that has been claimed to have appetite suppressant qualities: Hoodia gordonii. A product could say it has "hoodia" and contain another species, not this one.

There is no published research that shows that any company has been able to manufacture an effective drug based on hoodia gordonii. A few major pharm companies (such as Pfizer) have held the rights to make such a drug, but never found a way to do it.

Even if some "miracle" over-the-counter supplement claimed to have hoodia of any type, there is no guarantee that it would. Many many many many nutritional supplements are found, upon testing, that they contain little or none of the active ingredient they claim to have.

Yes, sadly, I'm not letting go yet, but all the research so far shows that no one has isolatedit properly (the thing that suppresses the appetite from that specific hoodia plant)...... however, I'm hoping that drug company returned the rights because they were going to make a prescription weight loss drug... I'm hoping there are one or two good over-the-counter ones out there, even if it's only one out of dozens of sham products..

;( oh, well....seems destiny we have to deal with out own powerful appetites on our own... but, I still can't help but hope/wonder... some of the companies have "certificates" stating it came from that plant, and other certificates saying an independent company rated their "pills" and that it was found to be hoodia or hoodia gordonii...?
want2btrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:22 PM   #8  
it's always something

The certificates are fake, anyone can make them up. It's a good scam tactic because most people take their word for it without taking the time to investigate.

Unilever is working on an authentic and proven form of hoodia gordonii, in cooperation with PhytoPharm, that will be brought to the US but only after extensive trials have proven the product both safe and effective. Unilever makes SlimFast, so we'll probably see it in diet food products.

When the real thing is available to us, we'll shout it from the rooftops. Until then, avoid anything that claims to include hoodia.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

I'm skeptical of any company with a "diet miracle", other than a pharmeceutical company. I know people get frustrated that the pharm companies' drugs cost so much, but the reason that they do cost so much is that the pharm companies are [I]regulated.[I] This means that they have to pay to have studies done on the product to prove its effectiveness, plus, they have legally binding restrictions on the claims they can make. Plus, they have to pay to put years of research into developing legit products - the fly by night companies can charge less because they cut all kinds of corners in the product-development and quality assurance stages.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #10  
Smartypants

Okay, I have to flap my wings in here and put my two cents in I have come across some people who claim that products with Hoodia really do work for them.....but you know what else is in the listed ingredients ----> fiber. Proof? Here is pasted text from a Miracleburn website:

"MiracleBurn® Contains Glucomannan to Make You Feel Full:
Glucomannan’s role as a weight loss aid is well-recognized. It is a water soluble dietary fiber that can absorb a great deal of water. It acts as a bulking agent, essentially filling the stomach, providing the feeling of being full and thus reducing the amount of food eaten."

Lots of other "Hoodia" products also contain fiber, in fact I'd be willing to bet every single one of them does. So people get hoodia products, and think they work, when actually it's the fiber that is doing the trick. Not to mention it also contains caffeine and other stimulants. So my best advice to you is, to brew yourself up some strong coffee and down it with some fiber pills, and you will get the same effect.

It's our own individual decisions to take whatever flim flams are out there, myself included, but it is also important to try to find a healthy alternative whenever possible and not put ourselves at risk for adverse reactions. Factories that produce are in no way governed, managed, or ruled by the FDA, so really, we can't guarantee that what it says on the box is really what's in the pill. That is the real danger and risk in trying out the latest magic bullet; you just don't know what you're getting. So my best advice to you is: get some metamucil fiber capsules, and pop some with a full glass of water before a meal. Eat a light meal, and within an hour, you will be so stuffed. How do I know? That's my trick, and how I've stayed within 1200-1600 cals a day, and lost 3 lbs in the last week.

Last edited by txangelgirl; 01-16-2008 at 09:36 PM.
txangelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #11  
it's always something

Holli, I've read comments by medical experts that have also said the so-called hoodia products are really just fiber pills that swell and cause a full feeling, so you're absolutely onto something!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote