Cla?

• anyone got anything to report on CLA tablets? (conjugated linoleic acid) i've come across some really interesting journal articles regarding its effects on mamals and rodents but also a promising one int eh internations journal of obesity. http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v2.../0801659a.html

i'm considering testing it out as of thursday (start of new diet week after weigh in) for 4 weeks to see if it helps
  • Previous studies have shown that it can help to keep fat off, but doesn't help to lose it, though one study showed an increase of a half pound a month extra lost. (edited - 0.8 lb per month which is almost a pound, not a half pound lol)

However, recent studies have shown potentially serious side effects. Every one I know that was taking it has stopped.

According to an article in the NY Times
    Quote:
    Researchers have found that it can increase blood levels of C-reactive protein, lipoprotein and leptin — all of which can heighten the risk of heart disease. There is also some evidence that taking C.L.A. daily increases insulin resistance, a sign of impending Type 2 diabetes.
  • i dont' suppose you have the title of the research or the link to an abstact? by any chance i'd really like to read that it sound interesting.

i just did a quick scan of google scholar and found numerous studies suggesting the opposite with regards to leptin. and also lipoprotiens have dramatically reduced activity.
  • The NY Times article didn't list it. You can read the article here. You'll need to sign up for an account to read it, but the account is free.