Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 10-08-2008, 08:51 PM   #1  

Default Anyone familiar with this?

I just found a bottle of something called 5 hour energy that apparently my 18 year old daughter brought into the house. Does anyone know anything about this stuff? Is it safe? Should I be concerned? I wanted to see what I could find out about it before I ask her about it.
dustcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I drink them when I shoot weddings and need the boost. They're not "drugs" if you're worried about that. It's nothing more than a version of any popular energy drink like Amped or Red Bull or whatever. You can buy them at the grocery store, the drug store, the convenience store ... pretty much anywhere.

Honestly if it were my daughter, I wouldn't even ask her about it. There's really nothing to "ask" any more than if she brought a double espresso .. ya know?

Last edited by PhotoChick; 10-08-2008 at 08:54 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I have fibromyalgia, and my doctor recommends caffeine to treat my fatigue and boost the effectiveness of pain meds. I'm not a big fan of coffee, and tea or diet sodas often don't have enough caffeine to do the job, so I've used similar products.

They're sometimes marketed almost as "health foods," because they often contain vitamin and herbs with (supposed) health benefits (nothing weird, just what people have used in herb teas for millenia).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustcatcher View Post
I just found a bottle of something called 5 hour energy that apparently my 18 year old daughter brought into the house. Does anyone know anything about this stuff? Is it safe? Should I be concerned? I wanted to see what I could find out about it before I ask her about it.
If it's the actual 5 hour energy brand then it's mainly massive doses of B vitamins with the equivalant caffeine to equal just one cup. I've bought them for my husband who works a night shift. My main concern would be making sure she is ONLY taking the recommended dose. Here's a link to their website: http://www.5hourenergy.com/
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:00 AM   #5  

Height: 5'9"

I used to work night shifts at a hospital, and tried the '5 hour energy' sips a few times, didn't work for me. I find red bull works better, and tastes better.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:01 AM   #6  

Height: 5'9"

and no, don't be concerned. It's harmless really.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote