Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 06:54 PM   #1  

Question Is Algoxyll a scam?

I normally do not order gimmick diet programs or pills; BUT, I fell for this one...Algoxyll...a liquid seaweed drink that supposedly "takes the pounds off" (without ephedra). I ordered it 10/14/01 and never rec'd it...they apparently reshipped on 11/18/01 and still I have not rec'd anything. The co. is in Canada. Our credit card co. has sent us forms to do a chargeback. Before I do that I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of and tried Algoxyll by Geneva Bioscience. Respectfully, I am not looking for lectures just advice as to whether this is a real product or if anyone else has been scammed.
Thanks, "Skinny"
Old 11-29-2001, 07:49 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default You're not alone...

On other websites I've seen this same question posed about this product. Apparently this company has taken a lot of people for a major ride! Good for you doing a chargeback! Hopefully the acquirer will take this company's merchant rights away very quickly.

Here's something from another website that might interest you. Actually it was on another message board:
Quote:
Rainbow Investigations is now investigating another apparently
Toronto based weight loss promotion. This one, known as the
Algoxyll Campaign, can be accessed at www.algoxyll.com. While
not confirmed at this time, this promotion appears to have U.S.
roots.
This particular operation has some similiarities with previous
Toronto based promotions. The originating company is being
called Geneva Bioscience Ltd. , however there appears to be no
such company listed in Ontario.

The address of 1370 Don Mills Road, Suite #300, North York,
Ontario is a small shared office complex.

The phone numbers listed for the company are abit strange - the
U.S. advertisements list a phone number of 1-866-257-0877. This
number leads to an answering service in Maryland.

Upon questioning how to reach Geneva Bioscience Limited,
callers are led to a "Customer Service Number", 1-877-818-1637,
which just happens to lead to another answering service - this
one located in New Brunswick, Canada. This is the same location
that PhytoPharma uses for its answering services. We are
suspicious that the same answering service is involved again!

This promotion uses a combination of seaweeds to lose weight.
The theory behind this weight loss is that the seaweed fucus
vesiculosus contains iodine, which stimulates the thyroid gland to
make thyroid hormone, which may increase metabolism.
Increased metabolism then, as the theory goes, may lead to
some weight loss.

The scientific evidence on this is minimal and sketchy at best.
First of all, there is no way to know if the iodine levels in the fucus from this product do in fact alter thyroid activity. One study in the mid 1990's on hypertensive patients with obesity, using fucus in combination with diet, spiruline and gelatin had no weight loss over a twelve week period (study by Monego et al 1996 - can be referenced at the Health Psychology Home Page of Vanderbilt University.

The advertisements have appeared in entertainment type
publications in the U.S. Rainbow Investigations would be interested in hearing from consumers who've seen this product
advertised - let us know where you've seen it.
Check this message board link as well: http://www.freeweightloss.com/messages/28509.html

Hopefully this doesn't come across as a lecture- but rest assured you are by no means NOT the only one taken in. Many people see ads in major publications and feel right away that if it's in Newsweek, Cosmo, etc. then it MUST be a great product. Unfortunately most of the time, the publications (with the possible exception of "Good Housekeeping") are only after the advertising $$...sad but true...
Old 12-01-2001, 12:51 PM   #3  

Default Thank you MrsJim

Thanks so much for letting me know about this company. When my husband talked to the credit card customer service agent she told him we were the third complaint that she's had. If she's had 3 complaints and she's just one out of hundreds of agents, I can just imagine how many other complaints are out there!
Anyway, this story is having a happy ending. I finally found my exercise niche...Curves for Women...a 30-minute structured workout on hydraulic machines. I've been going there over a month and love it. I'm already fitting in clothes that I couldn't button up before. Again, I can't thank you enough for replying to me. It has just confirmed to me that "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". I always felt that if products like this actually worked then they would gain national attention. Like I said above, I usually don't fall for gimmicks but they got me this time...
"Skinny"
Old 01-27-2002, 01:49 PM   #4  

Talking Algoxyll ad in paper today 1-27-02

Almost started to order till I checked the web.
Advertistment in First For Women magazine Feb.11,2002.
Closed Thread