Dr. Siegal's Cookie Diet

• Major news stations have talked about this cookie diet recently in the past few months and now these cookies are finally available to buy online. But do they work? I know the cookies are not going to taste like any type of cookie I crave, but if they'll help me to lose weight then I'm all for it! I'd only want to be on it for about 4 weeks even though I have over 100 pounds to lose. I know it wouldn't be healthy to stay on a diet like that for that long. They're expensive, so I want to ask about them before I buy them.
  • I googled Dr Siegals cookie diet amd found his site which says, along with his cookies you eat a total of 800 calories a day. Doesn't sound healthy to me.
  • Is it Bernie Siegal? The pediatric neurosurgeon? I read a few of his books (not on weight loss) about 10 years ago and really enjoyed them. As to your question, though, just from the title of the diet I have a problem with it. The cookie diet??? Are you kidding me??? I think anyone who wants to lose weight permanently should be looking to reduce the "need" for cookies, cakes, sweets, treats in general. Learning discipline is what is required for a healthy weight...not to say you can never have cookies...but to make it an integral part of a weight loss plan? Not in my opinion!
  • I've never heard of this diet. IMO it is not necessary to buy specific products in order to lose weight. Bu that aside, you say that you only want to stay on it for 4 weeks. Do you have a plan in place for what you are going to do after? To me, it was imperative that I had a good plan in place, one that I could use longterm - forever in fact. I knew that that was the only way to keep off the weight permanently. There really are no "qucik fixes". Losing weight and keeping it off is a longterm commitment. I found that simple calorie counting is very effective. I elminated junk foods and those without any nutritional value and ADDED in good wholesome, nutritional ones.

There are many different "diet" plans mentioned here at 3FC. As well as a section of "diet" book reviews. Why not browse around and see if something interests you? Good luck with whatever you decide. And of course, WELCOME to 3FC.
  • I had to chuckle at the name of the diet. Weight loss is a money making business so if someone can market something which you will buy and which you don't need.

Losing weight doesn't require the purchase of any product but often we find products useful to our weight loss. Looking at the product, it doesn't appear to be anything special or anything you should waste your money on.
  • I went to another website and found great reviews about this diet. I know a lot of people don't like these diets and laugh at the name.. (they're not good tasting cookies). I was just curious to hear from people who have tried this diet before. I just want a jump start. I've been on MANY diets before. I know what to do and what not to do. EVERYONE will gain weight back after being on any type of diet "if" they go back to their bad eating habits. Do I really have a plan after the "cookie diet"? I do! But will I stick to the plan is the question. I've failed in the past. I just hope for the best everytime I try to lose weight. It's hard to eat healthy. I like fattening food. It taste good. I can't help it. So anyway, if there's anyone on this board that has actually "been on this diet" I want to hear from you!
  • From my search, it appears that the cookies are high fiber. High fiber food isn't a new idea, high fiber foods help keep you full. It sounds like something someone could easily replicate themselves. There are tons of high fiber foods out there as well as supplements and they are a lot cheaper.

Since you mentioned cost as a concern, as I said in my previous comment, the cookies don't appear to be anything special. There is no "magic" to the cookie. Same with a lot of diet supplements around.
  • We wrote about it in our diet review section last year.

------------------
    Cookie Diets are just what it sounds like - you eat cookies all day! But don't get too excited, you won't eat Oreos or Chips Ahoy on this diet. You'll eat six special cookies throughout the day, and have one dinner that includes 6 ounces of lean meat and a cup of vegetables. The total for the day? 800 calories.

The Seigal Cookie Diet was created by Dr. Sanford Siegal, owner of several weight loss clinics. The special cookies are high in protein and promise to reduce hunger. It's hard to imagine that 6 cookies and one meal could fill you up all day, and be able to stick to it very long. If you think this is the diet for you, you'll need to go to one of the clinics that offer the plan to purchase the cookies and program. Visit Dr. Siegal's website for locations and phone numbers.

There are several similar companies that offer similar cookie diets, all with clinics and white coats. All are similar in plan and promise, and very low in calories. You'll likely be charged a high signup fee of around $295, a monthly fee of around $125, and then you pay for the cookies which average $7 per day. Don't be taken in by claims that one cookie based diet is better or smarter than another. The basics behind the diet are the same as with other very low calorie diet plans such as Optifast and Medifast. The weight drops off quickly because you are practically starving your body of calories. Most people that lose weight on this type of diet plan will regain the weight quickly after they attempt to make the transition back to solid foods.

This is not a diet plan we would recommend. If you seriously consider this type of diet, we recommend you ask your personal physician about it first.
  • Are these like the Phoenix cookies from the late 80s? I lost a lot of weight with those in high school but - I was living in a dorm and CRAZY busy. I had gained weight because I was never able to sit down and eat, it was always on the run - usually while doing something else. I needed something besides fast food that I could eat with one hand and in between classes. So these were perfect for me.

At that time, I didn't have the time to really do anything about my habits. Eating on the run was my ONLY option, so it was better to have some kind of vitamin-packed, high fiber cookie thing than junk from the vending machine.