Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2001, 12:35 AM   #1  

Default Apple Cider Vinegar?

I am curious about Apple Cider Vinegar pills and liquid. Can anyone tell me if this is just an old wives tale about it being used for weight loss? I have read alot of info on this on the web and am as confused as ever. And if this is lagitamite...which is better the pills or the liquid? Just curious.
Di
Old 10-22-2001, 03:13 AM   #2  

I think its actually supposed to work, though I have yet to try it. My mother used to be a licensed herbalist, and she seems to thinks it does anyway! I think the liquid might be slightly better, because it would get apsorbed faster, but again, Im not 100% sure on that.
Old 10-22-2001, 10:38 AM   #3  

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If this worked, there would be a whole lot more skinny people.
Old 10-24-2001, 06:04 PM   #4  
Pending Email Confirmation

Hi there,
I know a lady that it does work for, She has lost over 50 pounds using it, I did it once and it does keep off my water retension, But as far as weight loss I am not sure on myself, Didnt do it long enough to really tell. The lady I know just swiggs it LOL, after everything she eats that she shouldnt, Hope this helps....
Old 11-02-2001, 02:13 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Post I posted this a while back but it's worth another look...

Apple Cider vinegar is one of those fads that come and go...here's an article from WebMD...
Quote:
Vinegar and Weight Loss: The Sour Truth

A few vinegar pills probably won't hurt you or your baby, but they won't do one bit of good in helping you lose weight either. By Elizabeth Somer , MA,RD

Question:
I had a baby 6 months ago and would like to lose some weight. I know that if you're nursing, you're not supposed to diet. I have been eating healthy foods high in nutrients, and I have lost a little weight. Would it be harmful to the baby if I started taking apple cider vinegar pills to help with weight loss?

Answer:

March 12, 2001 -- A few vinegar pills probably won't hurt you or your baby, but they won't do one bit of good in helping you lose weight either. This old diet fad dates back to the 1970s, when a combination of apple cider, kelp, vitamin B-6, and lecithin was touted as the miracle cure for weight loss. The rationale for this concoction was that it tricked your body's metabolism. According to the claims, lecithin emulsified body fat, B-6 metabolized the loosened fat, kelp supplied iodine to stimulate the thyroid gland to manufacture more thyroxin to speed metabolism, and vinegar supplied potassium. Like salad dressings where oil and vinegar don't mix, this was supposed to help rid the body of fat.

There is no scientific basis, or even rational reason, for any of these claims. For example, a teaspoon of vinegar contains only five milligrams of potassium, a meager amount compared to the 400 milligrams in a cup of grapefruit juice. Swallowing more iodine will jump start a thyroid gland only if you are deficient in this mineral (you'll know if you are iodine-deprived because you will have developed a goiter, or an enlargement of the thyroid gland). When people lost weight on this regimen it was because they also followed the accompanying low-calorie diet. Like all the other diet fads, from starch blockers and collagen products to herbal diet teas and hydroxycitric acid (HCA), the vinegar pills fit most or all the criteria of a useless gimmick:

* They promise to melt away fat.
* They promise fast and effortless weight loss.
* They promise weight loss greater than one to two pounds a week.
* They focus on one or a few foods and limit or exclude whole food groups.
* They are based on pills or "secret formulas."

Save your money and follow the advice of thousands of people who have not just lost weight, but maintained the weight loss. Consume daily a wide variety of nutrient-packed vegetables, fruits, whole grains, extra-lean meats and beans, and nonfat milk or yogurt. Watch your portions, and, most importantly, exercise each day. You also are right about not dieting while breastfeeding. It took nine months to gain the weight during your pregnancy. Plan to begin your weight-loss plan after you've stopped breastfeeding, and give yourself at least nine months after that to regain your figure.
Link to this article is at http://my.webmd.com/content/article/1671.52150
Old 11-04-2001, 06:32 PM   #6  

Default You may want to try it if you have stomach problems

A friend and I started apple cider vinegar because both of us have major problems with bloating and lactose. We would both go to lunch and have a salad and have serious swelling afterwards. We both have now been taking apple cider vinegar for almost a year. I can tell the difference in how my body feels when I stop taking it. So my suggestion is try it -- buy the liquid form (its about $1.50 and won't hurt your pocketbook). We were taking about 3-4 tablespoons a day by itself. Then stop and see if it's for you. I can't say it's helped me to lose weight, I have used it with a combination of diet and exercise.

Good luck
Old 01-06-2002, 09:14 PM   #7  
Water Freak

Just had to post a quick note here-

A few years ago, a friend of mine told me to try taking 3 tbsp of apple cider vinegar before each meal. I lasted about a week. I did lose some weight, but here is my theory on why. The stuff tastes horrible, and I would have to drink 3 or four glasses of water to get it down and get the taste out of my mouth. Of course, then my stomach was so full of water I felt kind of sick and not really up for eating anything, so I ate less at meals. So I guess it did kill my appetite, but in a somewhat unexpected way!

Cat
Old 01-17-2002, 08:26 AM   #8  
Muscle Mommy

S/C/G: 228/209/155

Height: 5'9

I did the pills for about a month, and I really didn't see any weight loss...however my GERD symptoms became nonexistant, and I was having problems with constipation...I had just had a baby and the pipes just wouldn't go back to working like they should...well I started those pills and that problem just disappeared too. I think it has some benefits...but I am not sure if it will actually cause you to lose weight...

There was an old lady I know who drank a glass of it everyday, and she said she had never been overweight a day in her life. Even after having 5 babies...she was still a size 6. Apple cider vinegar or good genes?
Old 04-08-2002, 07:30 AM   #9  

Apple vinegar is supposed to speed up your metabolism and breaking of fat. I tried the pills, I tried plain apple vinegar from the store (lots cheaper, you take 1 tablespoon 3x a day in a great big glass of water), same result: if you don't do something about your general eating habits, forget it! May be good in combination with diet/healthy eating habits, but don't trow money away on pills or special liquids, if you feel you have to try it, try it plain like I said above.
Has not been proven by any official independent research facility to be effective anyway (no matter if they bowl you over with slogans like TESTED! or USERS TESTIMONIALS!, these are worth nothing), so try it but be sceptic. Healthy eating is much more effective (I am a lifelong dieter gone "healthy"...),

good luck,

greetings from Athens (yeah, as in Greece), Greekgirl
Old 04-10-2002, 10:43 PM   #10  

I get a 500 ml bottle ( those water bottles).....put enough cider vinegar to cover the bottom.....then fill with water. But I do not drink it..... I shampoo my hair, rinse all the shampoo out of it and then rinse with the cider vinegar and water.....make sure you rinse more water through the hair after pouring this on ( dont want to smell like vinegar....lol). Will give your hair nice shine and helps with alot of other hair problems.

Not to be used with the capsules...lol....just the liquid cider vinegar you can buy at any grocery store.
Old 05-20-2002, 03:36 PM   #11  

Hi I actually tried it for awhile. I ended up with canker sores and an upset stomach. I also had other digestive troubles with it, so for me it wasn't worth it. I also tried the Grapefruit, Hot Dog, and Cottage Cheese diet. That got monotonous, though I did lose 15 pounds. I think these things come and go. Judy
Old 05-22-2002, 01:26 AM   #12  

Wink About the apple cider vinegar

silver century I tried the apple cider vinegar and managed o lose 20 pounds. I even went off it for a while because it was starting to erode my teeth. But I gained back 10 pounds, so now I'm drinking the vinegar again. Does anyone know of a good excercise video that works? Has anyone tried the oxycise tapes? Also I'm thinking of buying an ab enegizer can someone let me know if it works? Thanks.
Old 05-22-2002, 11:41 AM   #13  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Ab Machines - don't waste your $$

I thought everyone had heard the stories by now, since they were on every single newscast a couple weeks ago...

Anyway...this is from the FTC website (http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2002/05/projectabsurd.htm )

Quote:
FTC Charges Three Top-selling Electronic Abdominal Exercise Belts with Making False Claims

Alleges Electronic Abdominal Gadgets Won't Provide Six-Pack Abs

"Now you can get rock hard abs with no sweat"
"Lose 4 Inches in 30 Days Guaranteed"
"30% More Effective Than Normal Exercise"
"10 Minutes = 600 Sit-Ups"

These are the types of claims the Federal Trade Commission has challenged in complaints filed in federal district courts against three widely advertised electronic abdominal exercise belts - AB Energizer, AbTronic, and Fast Abs. The FTC alleges that the marketers of the devices, which use electronic muscle stimulation (EMS), have falsely advertised that users will get "six pack" or "washboard" abs without exercise.

"For years, marketers of diet and exercise products have been preying on overweight, out-of-shape consumers by hawking false hope in a pill, false hope in a bottle, and, now, in a belt," said FTC Chairman Timothy J. Muris. "Unfortunately, there are no magic pills, potions, or pulsators for losing weight and getting into shape. The only winning combination is changing your diet and exercise."

The FTC filed three separate complaints against the following defendants:

AB Energizer marketers: Electronic Products Distribution, L.L.C., based in San Diego, California, and its general partners, Thomas Nelson and Holly Hernandez, also known as Holly Bryan; Energizer Products, Inc., based in Tarzana, California; Ab Energizer, L.L.C., based in San Diego, California; and AbFlex USA, Inc., also located in San Diego, and its president, Martin Van Der Hoeven;
AbTronic marketers: Hudson Berkley Corporation, based in Las Vegas, Nevada, and also doing business as Hudson Berkeley, Inc., and its officer and director, Matthias Granic; Bismarck Labs Corporation, based in Palm Springs, California and also doing business as BLC Bismarck Labs Corporation; TMI Tricom Marketing, Inc., a Delaware corporation; CCI CAD CAM Industries Ltd., Inc., located in Hong Kong; and Bernd Ebert, a director and officer of BLC, managing director of TMI, and president of CCI; and
Fast Abs marketers: United Fitness of America, L.L.C., based in Ventura, California, and its sole manager, George Sylva; and Tristar Products, Inc., based in Parsippany, New Jersey, and its president, Kishore Mirchandani, also known as Keith Mirchandani.
According to the FTC, the defendants sold their devices through heavily aired, 30-minute infomercials on national cable television stations such as USA, TNN, Lifetime, E!, FX, and Comedy Central. Each of the infomercials has been among the ten most frequently aired infomercials in weekly U.S. rankings and has aired well over a thousand times. The infomercials feature fitness professionals who tout the products' efficacy, user testimonials, photos of models sporting trim, sculpted midsections, and purported expert opinions from health care professionals. The AB Energizer and AbTronic marketers also aired shorter television commercials. In addition, Fast Abs has been advertised in national newspaper magazines such as Parade, and mailed circulars such as Clipper Magazine.

The defendants advertised the three devices through Internet Web sites and at national retail outlets. In addition, the defendants made claims on the packaging for the three products, which the FTC also allege were false and deceptive. The products sell for about $40-$120.

The FTC's complaints allege that the advertisements for the three ab devices falsely represent that:

the ab devices cause fat loss and inch loss;
the ab devices will give users well-defined abdominal muscles (e.g., "rock hard," "six pack" or "washboard" abs); and
use of the ab devices is equivalent to (and, for AbTronic and Fast Abs, superior to) conventional abdominal exercises, such as sit-ups or crunches.
The complaint against the AB Energizer defendants also alleges that they falsely represented that the device will cause weight loss. The AbTronic complaint alleges that the defendants falsely represented that the device eliminates cellulite, and that a scientific study proves that use of the AbTronic improves abdominal strength better than exercise alone.

The FTC complaints further allege that the advertising for all three devices falsely claimed that the devices are safe for all users and failed to disclose, or failed to disclose adequately, warnings about health hazards for some people. According to the FDA and leading texts on EMS therapy, EMS devices should not be used by persons with certain conditions, including implanted pacemakers or other implanted metallic or electronic devices, swollen or inflamed areas (such as phlebitis), or cancerous lesions. Additionally, safety of EMS during pregnancy has not been established. The AbTronic and Fast Abs complaints also allege that the marketers falsely advertised that the products are safe for use over the chest area.

In addition to the false advertising allegations, the FTC complaints challenge refund, shipping, and warranty practices. The FTC alleges that all of the defendants misrepresented their "money-back guarantees" and, in many cases, failed to provide timely refunds. The FTC also alleges that marketers for all three devices violated the FTC's Mail or Telephone Order Merchandise Rule by failing to ship their direct-order products within the promised shipment time (and in some cases, failing to ship the products at all), and failing either to notify consumers of the delay or cancel the order and make a prompt and full refund. Further, the FTC alleges that the Fast Abs infomercial represented that the product comes with a one-year limited warranty, when in fact, some consumers received only a 30-day limited warranty with the product.

The FTC is seeking permanent injunctions in each of these cases to prohibit the defendants from making false or deceptive advertising claims, stop them from engaging in other deceptive marketing practices, and require them to pay redress to consumers.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the Napa County, California District Attorney's Office provided assistance on these cases.

The Commission vote to authorize staff to file the three complaints in the appropriate federal district courts was 5-0. The Ab Energizer matter was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California, in San Diego, on May 7, 2002. The Fast Abs and AbTronics matters were filed in the U.S. District Court, District of Nevada, in Las Vegas, on May 7, 2002.

Consumer purchasers who desire more information, please call the FTC's "abs belts hotline" at (202) 326-3343.

Consumer Tips

The FTC has updated two consumer publications about exercise equipment: "Avoiding the Muscle Hustle" http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...musclealrt.htm and "Pump Fiction: When Marketers Overextend Their Fitness Claims." http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/pumpfict.htm

These materials offer tips to consider and questions to ask before buying exercise equipment, including:

Ignore claims that an exercise machine or device can provide long-lasting, easy, "no-sweat" results in a short time. These claims are false: You can't get the benefits of exercise unless you exercise.
Don't fall for claims that a product can burn fat off a particular part of the body - for example, the stomach, hips or buttocks. Achieving a major change in your appearance requires sensible eating and regular exercise that works the whole body.
Read the ad's fine print. The advertised results may be based on more than just using a machine; it also may be based on restricting calories.
Be skeptical of testimonials and before-and-after pictures from "satisfied" customers. Their experiences may not be typical. Just because one person had success with the equipment doesn't mean you will, too.
Get details on warranties, guarantees and return policies. A "30-day money-back guarantee" may not sound as good if you have to pay shipping on the equipment you want to "return to sender."
Check out the company's customer and support services. Call the advertised toll-free numbers to get an idea of how easy it is to reach a company representative and how helpful he or she is.
Old 05-22-2002, 12:39 PM   #14  

Hi again, I don't think there is a shortcut on this weightloss fitness thing. If there were I'd be the thinnest fittest person ever. The abdominizer is a scam. They prey on desperate people that is looking for a magic elixer that will be beneficial. I got this belt that is supposed to reduce your tummy size by emmitting electrical charges, it didn't work either. All you can do is watch what you eat and get exercise everyday, even if it is only a walk. If you are looking for a good exercise video Jane Fonda has videos for all kinds of fitness levels. Susan powters are good too. Just hang in there as long as you keep trying you will reach your goal, and we're all here for you. Judy
Old 05-23-2002, 12:45 AM   #15  

Thumbs down Ab Energizers

Ok point well taken,I will not buy the ab belt.But I will buy the Body flex and the oxycise tapes. Someone mentioned them earlier, and it peaked my curiousity enough to check out other people's opinions. It seems interesting and it won't be the worst thing that I have tried. Thanks for the info guys.
Closed Thread