Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 01:31 AM   #1  

Height: 5 ft 5

Default wellbutrin

I have depression and decided to go on antidepressants. I chose wellbutrin XL 150mg because I want the activating effects + the weight loss benefits. I know weight loss can be minimal but I am wondering if anyone here has had experience with Wellbutrin (buproprion) and if it has impacted your weight at all. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2006, 02:56 AM   #2  
Zen master

S/C/G: 283/265/210

Height: 6'5"

I took Wellbutrin for about 2 months (disclaimer: I took it for anti-smoking, so it may have affected my metabolism a bit different) and saw no effect on my appetite or weight. According to my drug book (I'm an RN student), weight loss IS a common side effect, so maybe it just didn't affect me or I wasn't on it long enough. I do know that it made me dizzier than heck though.

Good luck and best wishes!
Old 12-25-2006, 07:07 AM   #3  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I've taken Wellbutrin off an on for a while. I am currently back on it and yes, for me it does suppress my appetite. But that is about it..............So I guess yes it can help assist in weightloss, but probably not with everybody. I wouldn't count on it at least. If it does help, then that is just an added bonus.

Old 12-25-2006, 08:27 PM   #4  

I have been on that med and saw no benefits. However, I will say that I found it much easier to resist food or to not give in to cravings. So, I am still trying
Old 12-30-2006, 01:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 233/222/133

My doctor prescribed it just for weight loss. It seemed to curb my appetite, and it made me happy, so i liked it.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:22 AM   #6  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

The study group was with bulimics and they lost on average about 5 whole lbs so for weight loss only purposes this is definately NOT a good idea.

I say that because some people I have heard are going on it purely for weight loss and that is ludicris especially since a side effect is seizures.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:56 AM   #7  
Tryin'

Height: 5'3

i was prescribed this for depression..and it lifted my mood slightly, increased energy and slightly suppresed my appetite. although none if this would have aided my weight loss had i not been extemely motivated myself.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #8  
Being lazy is easier!

S/C/G: 224/216/170

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
I took Wellbutrin for about 2 months (disclaimer: I took it for anti-smoking, so it may have affected my metabolism a bit different) and saw no effect on my appetite or weight. According to my drug book (I'm an RN student), weight loss IS a common side effect, so maybe it just didn't affect me or I wasn't on it long enough. I do know that it made me dizzier than heck though.
I have an appt. with my MD at the end of the month regarding getting Wellbutrin. Has it helped you regarding the quitting? I quit 4 years ago, and had the NASTIEST time quitting physically (nausea, migraines, etc) and I was hoping that the WB would help. Also, does it even you out, mood-wise? I am curious if it will help regarding the FUNK I get into sometimes. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2007, 10:19 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 227/153/135

Height: 5'7"

I am on Wellbutrin for mild depression and have been for several years (other than when I was pregnant). I cannot say that it has curbed my appetite BUT I can say for me, the reduction in depression has made it far easier for me to avoid bingeing. I also can say I have not purged in all the time I have been taking Wellbutrin -- and I have been bulimic since age 13 (way back before it was popular, people!).
Of course, it goes without saying but....I am not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV. My experience is my own.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #10  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

I tried it and had to stop because it made me extremely nauseated and jumpy.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:18 PM   #11  
Living and Learning

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

Hi there,
I have been on 300mg of Wellbutrin since last May for depression. I have to say, I have not found it to curb my hunger at all. Although I have not binged in a long time so I guess it is helping that. It has lifted my mood and I find (along with other people I know taking it) that it has increased my libido.
I have not had any side effects to report.
I would say it I didn't *feel* it working for 3-4 months so hang in there, it will work eventually.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:28 AM   #12  

I tried Wellbutrin about 7-years ago for weight loss and it did nothing for me.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:55 PM   #13  
prepare for the BEST time

I was prescribed Wellbutrin XL for reactive depression about 4 years ago. I took it for about 10 days, I couldn't tolerate it. For me the side effects were difficulty sleeping and I was wired, jumpy, short-temper, etc.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 205/???/160

Height: 5'11

Everyone reacts differently to all medications. I've been on Wellbutrin for 7 1/2 years and when I first started taking it, I dropped 40 pounds in two months. Then I kinda plateaud, didn't gain or lose, and then after time, I did gain it back. And, when I started taking it, I was smoking - not hardcore but on a daily basis - and after the first day of taking Wellbutrin, I could not stand the taste or even the smell of cigarette smoke. So yeah, like I said, it works differently for everyone. Good luck!

Lilmissme

Old 01-30-2007, 11:35 PM   #15  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

Welbutrin made me really dizzy. If I bent down I felt like my head did a 360 turn. Or like my brain suddenly was too big for my skull. And this was after being on it onlya day or two.
Closed Thread