Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 05:46 PM   #16  

Hi Mima, Tammy and Meme and Joanne.

Meme - the Herbsway Teas are great. They have stuff for cholestrol, a pain trio etc. Tons of stuff. I buy the green tea and I LOVE the Raspberry Lime tea (that is green tea as well) - no caffeine in any of it. Here is the site
http://www.thegreenteacompany.com/

You can also phone them and sometimes they have good deals. The phone number should be on the site.

I eat right, not white suff, lots of fruits and veggies, meat. Have given up something I love, which is baking. I bake and take it to work. The gals there enjoy it. I drink lots of water and I do walk. I don't know why I can't lose anything. It probably has a lot to do with this dang chronic yeast thingy.

Tammy - Sounds like you have a nice principal this year. That is good news for you . I think we have to do what we have to do to stay healthy.

Have to run. Going to see my friendly chiro.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:51 AM   #17  

Good morning
LIFE IS WHAT HAPPENS WHILE YOU ARE MAKING OTHER PLANS!
My daughter came over last night and told me she was pregnant and she's very happy. So much for the big wedding and then the baby. She does have a very supportive boyfriend . And they are going to church together. Last year, Brett and Angela came and told us the same thing and now there is Keith. There won't be a wedding for Sue just yet but later. I have to get over the shock to be happy just yet. Our family is growing by leaps and bounds. Of course, this is another April bd, Every one is born in March, April, or May except Brad and I.One day at a time.
Going to a cookout tonight. But want to hibernate. Sue and I did walk last night. But I only slept til 3:30 am. Bye for now Mima
Old 08-18-2006, 04:54 AM   #18  

Tammy-I had that kind of job for many years-less stress-it should be good for you. Mima
Old 08-18-2006, 11:04 AM   #19  

I'm hoping the new principal is as nice as he seems. Had an email from him late yesterday thanking us for meeting with him yesterday morning!

Mima, congrats about the new baby even if it isn't what was planned. Glad about the supportive boyfriend and that they are attending church together. Have fun at the cookout, and get some rest!!

I agree about this job being less stress. Another teacher and I are talking about riding together when I do go, so just having another person to talk to coming and going will be fun too. It's only a 20 minute drive, but I can only stand to hear myself sing for so long!! lol
Old 08-18-2006, 02:52 PM   #20  

Default Hey There

Tammy- Supporting each other could only help us. Say the Dr. today and they upped my B/P med again. He also told me I am borderline diabetic. They may put me on med for that after I get bloodwork in another week.. I don't want more meds. He did tell me that the diabetic diet is best rather than the S/beach.. I will try and find that on net.. If anyone knows the site send it to me..I am not eating any white carbs..
Mima- A new baby... I'm jealous... I guess the wedding is next..
Happy- I drink G/tea but I have never seen Herbsway.. It may not be down here..
Meme- You would be surprised at how many Dr.'s don't know all they should about meds. And if they do they just don't pay attention to it...We have to do that . I always look up the information on meds.
Hello Candice...Joanne
Old 08-18-2006, 04:15 PM   #21  

I told my son he has to get engaged, married, and then a family-that's what we are upset about but when I calm down, I will be thrilled. Mima
Old 08-18-2006, 11:04 PM   #22  

Pain Diary for those interested. Looks like a good tracking device for taking to Drs. etc.

http://www.reliefinsite.com/
Old 08-19-2006, 07:15 AM   #23  

Good morning-very considerate hostess last night-I had a turkey burger, brown rice, canteloupe amd sorbet. She doesn't do dairy and only a little wheat and no nitrates. Anniversary party today. It's probably desserts.
I finally slept last night.
Joanne, I hope that med works. Bye for now-Mima
Old 08-19-2006, 02:28 PM   #24  

Joanne, I have a book called Exchange Lists For Meal Planning from the American Diabetes Association. I just found it the other night. I received it from a dietician at the hospital a couple years ago when my blood sugar was up to 126.

www.eatright.org

www.sotre.diabetes.org

Try those addresses and you may be able to get information about it. I'm surprised that your doctor wants you to get your blood sugars checked again so quickly. I go back in November to have mine rechecked since mine was up a little the beginning of the month. I keep trying to do healthy meals when I am cooking, but when Bob cooks (we take turns) we usually end up eating meals that aren't exactly balanced. He needs to get his sugar level lower, but he's going to have to make some real lifestyle changes --- Pepsi, candy bars, beer. Do I need to say more? This morning he came home with Krispy Kreme donuts! I just don't get it.

Mima, my cousin and her husband went through a similar situation last spring with their son and his girlfriend. They had finally come to grips with things, and the girl lost the baby. They were devestated. Now the son and girlfriend have broken up, and I know my cousin is having trouble dealing with that. Sounds like the dinner last night was right up your alley!! Great! Glad that you were able to sleep.

Anne, I'll have to check out that site. Thanks!

Went to our county fair for a while today. My friend plays in a steel drum band and they were performing. They sounded great. My other friend and I sat there wishing we were lounging under palm trees drinking frosty drinks with little umbrellas in them. lol

Last edited by Tammy; 08-19-2006 at 05:41 PM. Reason: wanted to add some things.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:36 PM   #25  

Sitting under a palm tree on a beach somewhere ... that sounds about right to me. Mima ... congratulations. Who knows, maybe they will decide to get married before the baby gets here.

Don't much care for turkey burgers. I had ribs and catfish for lunch/dinner (Dave's BBQ in Knoxville). Ate way too much over the weekend but then I knew I would. Tend to do that on trips to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Too many good places to eat up there. We ate at Ruby Tuesday's last night and went to a show. Went to a Log Cabin Pancake house this morning for breakfast. Like I said ... way too much food. I'll have to get back on my diet big time after that AND the wedding last weekend. I've only got two weeks until we do it all again in Nashville!!!

Went shopping at the Old Time Pottery Barn. I LOVE that place. They have a little bit of everything in there ... for the house. Decorations and housewares, glass stuff, dishes, picture frames, mirrors, baskets, flowers and all kinds of seasonal things. You name it and they probably have it. I found dishes exactly like my blue willow china. Picked up a 20 piece set for only $35. Unheard of! I could stay in there all day ... but the men came back! We had so much fun. Out of the 26 of us there was not one stick-in-the-mud person. They are all as nutty as I am. UNBELIEVABLE! Betty is the woman who got the whole thing together and she is in her 70s. When we got to the hotel, she asked if anyone had a preference to a room with balcony in front or back and my best friend's hubby said real loud, I don't care, I'm just going to sleep there. It got real quiet and she looked him up and down and said, I'm sorry, but don't tell me your problems. I thought I would die laughing. He turned so red! We were coming out of a shoe store and one woman picked up a shoe with a 3" heal & asked me if I remembered when we used to wear those. I said, yes and I used to work all day in them. Another woman said, Yeah but I can only take about 2 inches now ... she was headed out into the mall ... she turned around and smiled real big and said, I mean in a shoe that is. I wish you could have seen the look on the other woman's face. I thought she was going to choke. (And I thought I was bad.) You gals should have been there! It was a fun weekend.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:39 AM   #26  

Yes, they will get married but I also know of other instances when there was a miscarriage. that's why it's one day at a time. And trusting God for the outcome whatever it is. He always knows way more than we do.
Asthma!!!! It hit me yesterday like a ton of bricks on my chest. When that happens, you don't know if it's your heart. I did find my Advair-only thing that works!! I have 7 day's supply.
We went to an surprise anniversary party yesterday. It was such a surprise that the couple didn;t come til later and they really thought it was a birthday party for someone else. Wow-Brad told the husband to pick up his chin -he was so surprised. He said , Which one!
I visited with the wife of Brad's friend who also happens to be a teacher who had all my kids in school. We are really hoping they visit us in FL-great people!!
It's raining and there is a cookout at church this afternoon.
Another wedding, Meme? You are busy!
Is that med working yet, Joanne?
I slept good but the thunder woke me up.
Dog has 9 lives-he couldn't walk on Friday but ran around like a puppy yesterday.
Bye for now-Hi Anne. and anyone I forgot. Mima
Old 08-20-2006, 01:28 PM   #27  

Meme, it sounds like you had a wonderful time! I agree that we all should have been there. That store sounds like a place I would love to go with my two shopping buddies.

How fun with the surprise party Mima!! We had one for my parents' 40th, and they didn't have a clue. It was great. We're having another beautiful day. It's in the 70's, breeze blowing, and blue sky. Love it!!

I think Kramer and I are going to go for a walk. We don't go too far because I have to carry him back if we do. he only weighs about 15 pounds, but it's still heavy for me.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:45 PM   #28  

Default Hey There

Mima- They upped my B/P med again. The pressure still not down where it should be.I worked out in yard yesterday and am sore all over today.. The GOLDEN YEARS are really not that golden.
Hope everyone had a good weekend...Joanne
Old 08-21-2006, 05:16 AM   #29  

Brad says that they call it the Golden years because they take all our gold-on doctor's.
Church was great yesterday-I always have been uplifted in a church-well-most of the time. Then we had a family cookout and our family ws all there-especially that good little Keith, who I couldn't hold because I think I have an infection. Still asthma and achiness-think it starts in my sinuses.
Suzanne seems to be getting back into reality about her situation-she had to stop taking her meds but she is doing the right things,
I guess we are having some of your weather, Tammy. Mima
Old 08-21-2006, 10:07 AM   #30  

Joanne, your comment about the Golden Years sounds exactly like one of my aunts. She made a similar comment not long ago. What BP medicine are you taking? I am taking Cozaar. My BP during the summer gets so low sometimes since I'm taking it, but once I'm back at school it helps keep it pretty normal.
How are you doing with the sugar? It's really a healthy diet, and I should be following it also. Bob just left for the fair. His plan was to eat junk food while he was there. What has your glucose reading been that the doctor is so concerned? Bob's was 239 the other morning. Now that is cause for concern.
Mima, the cookout sounds fun. We need to get a new grill, but I think we'll wait until spring now. The sermon yesterday at our church was one that I needed. Isn't it funny how that happens? We're having another cool day. It was 54 when I got up!!
I'm going to the fair tonight with a friend. They always have a high school band show on Monday night, so we're going to check it out. Last year I chaperoned the band for it, the two years before that I sold programs, and the year before that I just got to be a spectator. This year I just get to watch and we are sitting in her box seats, so we'll have a great view.
Meeting with the other intervention teacher tomorrow morning. We are going to make our plan of attack for the year. We can't work in our room until the librarian gets her stuff out of there. It was a classroom up until last year, and she took it on to be her own personal closet. They also stored extra desks in there, so those need to be moved out. The principal told us that we may not be ready to go with the intervention until the 2nd week of school. Fine with me.
Closed Thread