Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/150

Height: 5'5"

Default scleroderma, fibromyalgia, and osteoarthritis

So glad to find this forum!

I absolutely must lose some weight to decrease the stress on my hips which are arthritic. At the same time, I battle fatigue and pain from scleroderma and fibromyalgia, and winter exercise outside is impossible with the Raynaud's attacks associated with scleroderma. My dog (also arthritic) and hubby are walking with me this summer, and hubby has vowed to make an exercise area in the basement before winter. I'm counting calories and watching portions, which has always worked for me. I feel obesity is just another one of my diagnoses requiring its own "prescription" of exercise and diet, so this is a life-long commitment.

I'd love to exchange info with others battling autoimmune diseases and trying to lose weight and improve health.
ayaussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:43 PM   #2  

Hi there! I have Lupus, and suffer from Raynaud's too. Eating a healthy diet and getting exercise has helped me a lot. Age helps too, I think! (at least there is ONE advantage to being over the hill! LOL) I am considering joining the Y this fall so I have a place to workout over the winter. The winters here are mild, but not mild enough! I love doing water aerobics, as we have an in ground pool in our backyard, and I would really like to continue it over the winter. The Y offers classes, and has a gym as well.

Are you following any particular diet plan? I am also diabetic, and I follow Sugarbusters. I love it, as it is easy to follow, and has worked well for my diabetes control.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/150

Height: 5'5"

Smile type of diet

Thanks for the welcome! I'm counting calories and watching portions. Hubby has promised after he's done with school (getting MBA Aug 13) we'll move the treadmill and weight bench to the basement with its own TV, etc! That'll help me continue through the winter.

Glad to hear your diabetes is under control! Way to go!
ayaussy is offline   Reply With Quote