3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Dieting with Obstacles

Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Recently found out I have a defience of triiodothyronine?

Old 07-07-2006, 09:38 AM   #1

Default Recently found out I have a defience of triiodothyronine?

I recently found out my thryoid isn't producing nearly enough triiodothyronine, also known as T3. Does anyone know anything about this? What are the effects and how does this effect my metabolism?
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:56 AM   #2

S/C/G: 261/ticker/199

If I understand correctly, it decreases your metabolism. Also makes you feel tired and run down. Did your Dr. start you on Synthroid? Usually, that makes you feel better!

katiesmom710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 02:09 PM   #3

I'm going to start soon on a pill thats supposed to bring my levels slowly up to normal I guess. Will I have a normal metabolism after that?
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:05 AM   #4

Height: 5'8.5"

Well this is a subject I am very familiar with, having had a thyroid tumor removed a while back. This is definitely something you need to be having monitored by your doctor... but yes, hypothroidism slows down your metabolism, makes you extremely tired, panicky, etc. Personally speaking I can say that once my meds got adjusted right (a doctor will generally change your doses and monitor it until test show it is right) I felt SO much better and am able to lose weight again.

One caution... you will read a LOT of controversial stuff on the Internet about this... especially people running down some of the meds... in fact the one I take quite successfully. Listen to your DOCTOR.

First major goal met 12/7/12. Next major goal ONEderland!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:35 PM   #5

S/C/G: 261/ticker/199

Yep, I agree with Misti. You have to go in for followup lab work so you are therapeutic. Too low, you con't. to feel bad and too high, it can cause palpitations and other fun stuff. Yes, you can get regulated and FEEL GOOD!

katiesmom710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:04 PM   #6

Taking a thyroid med will not magically restore your metabolism to normal, or necessarily help you lose weight. I have been on a T4 med, AND a special forumlary of T3 for years. I FEEL better, but my metabolism is still out of whack. Losing weight has been almost impossible for me for a long time. ( I was recently diagnosed as a diabetic, as well, and a new med on the market for that is helping more than thyroid meds did. ) Its a good thing to have a doctor you can trust, but it also helps to research the issues yourself, so you understand what is wrong and how you are being treated. An informed patient gets better care. You can find recommended doctors at the thyroid pages on about.com. They are reader recommendations, which is helpful.

Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #7

Well, I am hypo and find that South Beach has let me successfully lose weight. I am also insuling resistant. I also walk 30 minutes a day 7 days a week. Works great. Medication alone will not cause the weight loss.

HW 356 pounds - CW 135 - GW 137

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:17 AM   #8

I second that on the exercise.... I walk a lot too.

Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.