Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 04:30 PM   #1  

Wink Fibro Thread 31

Hello all.

Well, we did go away for a day! Then yesterday, I was just so tired I didn't want to do anything. Way to much sitting and driving and a really late night. Oh well, back to normal. Just doing some things around the house that need to get done.

Mima - so glad you had a wonderful birthday. Have you heard yet about your employment plans? Hope the chiro can fix your jaw. Did you ever get the splint for TMJ - from the dentist? It fits over your lower teeth - my daughter had to wear that for a while.

Candice - hope the therapy works for you. I guess the sooner they start it the sooner it will work. It is funny that one thing shows up as the symptom when the whole body is affected isn't it.

Ally - I am so glad that you found something you can be comfortable with and that it is working. Probably getting your kids back to school will be good as well. How is your son's leg now?

Joanne - I can send you cool weather! It is now about 72 degrees. We are now into the Fall season here. There was a distinctive change in the air last week. It goes down to around 45 degrees at night now. The mornings are cool and fresh, the afternoon warm and mellow, and the evenings cool. This is my favorite time of year. I know that most of you would think you were freezing, but this is super weather - wish we could have it year round.

Meme - Is your head spinning yet The kids, full time, would do me in I am afraid. Just can't handle that anymore. I hope your life can slow down so you can get a good rest. I know that you are trying to stay ahead of everything that you are doing, but listen up - one of these days you are going to crash bigtime. Then what will you do Oh well, we all live that way. We all tend to do what we can, when we can and to **ll with tomorrow.

Hope you are all having a great week. Will probably be gone again until the weekend. Take care, everyone.

Tootie - if you are reading, HELLO.

Anne
Old 08-23-2001, 08:23 PM   #2  

Hi Guys. And Happy Birthday Mima!!!!! I loved reading you and Joanne talking about Adult children moving back in. I sometimes can't wait for mine to move out and they are only 16.
Happy.....I was back in the emergency room today with the other twin who cut a big whole in his hand when he was trying to get his leadlamp off his car. They might as well just put my name on a chair in there. The other twin's leg is healing perfectly and he can do everything but pivot and jump.
Candice......just leave us a picture of your flowers once in a while so we know you are doing OK. I can't type with one hand. Takes too long and is frustrating.
Here's a question for all you fibro gals.......have you ever taken an IQ test on the internet? I feel like I lost about 30 IQ points since fibro took over.
Scary.
I actually used to be sharp....
BUT, I am still feeling like I am in a remission. Learned that my Docs scale is 7 pounds WRONG. I will go with my home scale and say that I lost 9 pounds. No matter what I did lose 9 pounds but I just like the way it looks on my scale and in my mirror better.
I had a pap smear yesterday as I had a biopsy two summers ago d/t precancerous cells. If this one is good I can stop having them so often.
They never say I am overweight.....I complain all the time and they say "stop looking at the scale".
(The Nurse Prac weighs more than me)
Happy.......I thought about trying that Spectra 12...but am feeling so good I think I'll wait and see. Do you think your diet has anything to do with how you feel?
Old 08-24-2001, 03:31 AM   #3  

I'm soooo tired! Kids went home tonight...about 9:30. We took them home and waited for their mom and dad to get home. Their plane didn't get into Nashville untill 8:30 so they didn't get home until a few minutes after 10. Their taking off tomorrow so they can all sleep in.

Candice...hope your arm gets better soon...you did too much typing in all those addresses!!!!!!! Ally...hope son #2 isn't hurt too bad. My kids left...but not really! We didn't lose 2...we gained SIX more!!!!!!! I almost think I'd rather have 2 full time as to have EIGHT part time! I can't keep 2 for a week again...just can't do it! This last week has about gotten me down.

We are going away for the weekend. We were going to go next weekend but since the kids were all going to be gone we were afraid to chance it with mom and all. On one side we have MY mom and on the other HUBBY'S parents...all nearly, or over, 80. Plus there's Sammy (my golden) that we'd have to board. This way the kids can come over and feed her and take her out. I have a 50 foot front porch that is railed and gated so she is going to stay there over the weekend...she is really good and never goes to the bathroom in the house or on the porches...hasn't since she was about 3 mos. old. Not even when left a whole day.

Hope you all have a nice, cool weekend...as for me...I'm headed for the lake (and hopefully some much needed rest)! Talk to you on Monday.
Old 08-24-2001, 07:35 AM   #4  

Default Hello

Have a nice weekend Meme-and that was a funny joke.I had a talk with my girlfriend yesterday and we both thought the discussion about going out ended differently-and I certainly said many times that no-we didn't have to go out.Just wanted to tell you that it was miscommunication. Wished that was so easy whe it was my husband and we had miscommunicated. Never is-youhave too much invested. Chiro helped a lot with my jaw and I put heat on it this am. Going to swim this morning-I'm going to work Mon. so it has to be related.Eating too much this week but am walking-hope that makes a difference.Chiro told me to try a sports mouthpiece from Walmart first.Another beautiful day. I have spent many hours in Emergency especially with my oldest on Sat. night when all the drunks would be there. You will make it Ally!!!!!.Rest up happy, take care Candyce.Have fun at the beach Joanne. Mima
Old 08-24-2001, 08:21 PM   #5  

Default Hi

Happy Canuk, I will take some of your cool weather. It will be hot here until around October. We haven't had any rain in 2 weeks.
Ally about kids moving in... My great nephew is saying he wants to move to Florida. He is 18. I quickly let him know he had to plan well to maintain an apartment and living expences. That way he knows he won't be moving in with me.
Good luck with the therapy Candice.
Hello Mema and Memtoo.
I have had a busy week and will be glad for a weekend of rest.
Joanne
Old 08-25-2001, 06:50 AM   #6  

Default Good morning!

Good for you Joanne-it seems when you are in Fl. People think you have an open door.I went to a wonderful Christian Concert last night-the Morgan Sisters-twins with gorgeous voices.I brought watermelon-and was it sweet!Going to clean today and go to my town's Holden Days-street vendors all over the place etc. Doing pretty good eating right.I went swimming yesterday-it felt great.My daughter's boyfriend got laid off-computer engineer-maybe he could go into business with Meme.Along with everything else you have to do!!!!!It's so beautiful here-below 70 but it's only 7 a.m. Have a great day everyone. Need to eat. Mima
Old 08-25-2001, 10:25 AM   #7  

Therapy is going wel but painful afterwards.

Here is one of my sunsets for you!
Old 08-25-2001, 11:00 AM   #8  

Default Hey There

Candice you are a jewel . Your pictures brighten my day. I haven't had much time lately to injoy a sunset. My niece and her family go back home Sunday. I injoyed having them down but her hubby has been sick and in a lot of pain with his back so it has been a steady round of Dr's and ER. I am getting tired.
Ally - You aren't by yourself with the cleaning. Me too. My laundry has piled up and my house needs a going over. I should be busy all day.
Hello to everyone . Have a great weekend
Joanne
Old 08-25-2001, 11:14 AM   #9  

I told you guys I lost some IQ points. I could swear I posted yesterday......

Anyway.....Candice...Glad to see you are checking in. The weather is just turning that nice blend of cold mornings and summer days. Love to sleep at nite.

Going to a Chicken BBQ....lets see if I can stay away from the beer and the beans!!!!!!

Have a nice weekend all.
Old 08-25-2001, 11:48 PM   #10  

Default FIBROpedia

FIBROpedia

words that should have been words, as created by people who participate in the discussion of Fibromyalgia on alt.med.fibromyalgia. They are wise and otherwise. Copied without permission from an original post by Liz "Duchess" and then somewhat amended.

Brain Fog

the brain is clouded, so everything around you is hazy and it is
difficult to think clearly, and function "normally".

Brain Fart

blows whatever thought you might have right out of your ear ...
there it is .. gone. Personal note: when this happens be sure to not block your right ear ... otherwise your head will implode due to the sudden change in air pressure.

Catacarary

which means feeling like the cat that ate the canary. As in, I'm
feeling very catacarary today.

Clambrain

similar to brainfog; brain is operating at about 5% capacity

CNP

chronically normal person ***Damnesia - (needs defining)

***Daytritus - (needs defining)

DD

Damnable Disease (aka FMS/CFIDS/CFS etc)

Doctor Fatigue

exhaustion from seeing so many M.D.'s whose dx is IAIYH (It's All In Your Head).

Fibro*****

(female or male) mad as **** and just won't take it anymore. We're entitled.

FibroCrud

catch all term that describes all of the symptoms that someone with fibromyalgia experiences

Fibro Dance

walking along with no problems, and suddenly then one begins staggering, loosing balance (also known as fibro step, fibrowaltz, firboswish, and fibrobump) [Note this is called ataxic gait, and the staggering walk is very common to people with FM/MPS. Travell and Simons say it is due to sternocleidomastoid trigger points]

FibroDash

the beeline we all make when IBS or cystitis kicks in (also see toilet tag)

FibroFellows

old-timers who can give advice and sustenance to newbies

FibroFingers

thought to be caused by brainfog typos result from this, as do missed or wrong notes while playing an instrument, we think of the typos as brain stutters

FibroFlakes

for us only...an affectionate term for us in our most exaggerated states...use with permission and sensitivity only

FibroFlipping

when you have to keep on checking and rechecking several times to make sure that you have written a phone number or any number sequence down correctly

FibroFlux

when we are going through shifts in perception, i.e. from brainfog day to achy day to weather changes or whatever

FibroGiggle

a funny anecdote related to FMS

FibroHugs

a hug between two people with FM where they wrap their arms around the other and use the fingers of both hands to massage the back of the other person

FibroKinks

anything that doesn't operate as it should

Fibromaniacs

PWFMS, Person With Fibromyalgia Syndrome

FibroLinks

filling in the missing parts of a conversation in the middle of a
conversation you say something thinking that you said the thought preceding it only to realize that the person you are talking to has no idea what you are talking about. Just a little bit of mind reading would be a good thing sometimes

FibroMyopia

condition affection all doctors, friends, relatives, employers,
and Social Security administrators who can't see beyond the fact the PWFMS look so healthy. Additional definition for fibromyopia, any abnormality of the eye that seems unexplainable or odd to your opthalmologist or optometrist

FibroStains

the little tea, coffee, juice, etc., marks on our clothing we get
from having weak, wobbly wrists

FibroMites

a person with FMS

Flare

when all your FMS symptoms seem to get worse all at the same time.

Subsections:
Mental Flare - when every symptom you have "upstairs" flares but the physical symptoms remain the same.

Physical Flare - when every symptom except those defined by Mental Flare goes nuts.

FMer

a person with FMS

FMily

subscribers to alt.med.fibromyalgia. A collection of souls who choose to share information and experiences, who generously offer support, love, caring, prayers and whatever else is needed. To become a member ... just start posting. All are welcome (except Trolls). We have become cyber brothers and sisters ... we have our arguments and such ... but the FMily is a family and like a family we are there for each other.

FMnitwit

IAIYH dr. who has no humor anyway

Hi fibro diet

Anything that tastes good, has lots of salt and or sugar,
alcohol, tobacco, fat, cholesterol and sex (oops! different list)

HTH

hope this helps

IAIYH

"It's all in your head", doctors cop-out when s/he doesn't have the guts to say "I don't know"

IgNoSecond [ig-no-second]

it means a length of time such as hour, minute, or second.

But an IGnosecond

is the length of time between some irretrievable action and the time you realize the consequences of that action. (for example, the length of time between shutting the car door and realizing that it is not only locked but your keys are in the ignition)

Ima FMwit

Nome de plume (use as needed)

Meltdown

borrowed from the nuclear industry. Results from suppressing anger, frustration, plus a multitude of other emotions ... to the point it results in a verbal explosion that is totally out of character.... some times with a magnitude that even the Richter scale can't measure.

Mush mouth

swapping first letters of two words, swapping word order,
especially after learning Latin where there isn't any word order, and then I do come up with a few Freudian slips or double entendres that were not intended

Numerphasia

related loosely to Phonesia - not being able to remember numbers. (e.g. having to look at a phone number 14 times while trying to dial a 7 digit number)

Obisivity

that is something we would have know if we were not in a fibrofog

OralGami..

the art of folding the spoken word.

OT

Off Topic

OTH

Off Topic Humor

OTR

Off Topic Religious

PAN

people alleged to be normal

PHONESIA (fo nee' zhuh) n.

The affliction of dialing a phone number and forgetting whom you were calling just as they answer.

ROFLMAO

rolling on the floor laughing my *** off

ROFLMAOPIMP

rolling on the floor laughing my *** off peeing in my pants

SCN

so-called normal people

Sudden clumsiness

the art of walking into objects or tripping over object (dust motes ?) even when you see them or are in a brainfog

Sudden stupidness

talking with someone and totally forgetting what you were saying; a dead stop of words and a lost look on your face--"Uh, what was I saying?" see also Brain Fart

Tenderpoints

pressure of 4lbs. causes pain. To meet the strict criteria for diagnosis

Thingie

what you call something when you can't remember its name

TIA

thanks in advance

ToiletTag

when IBS is acting up, and one is constantly running to the bathroom

Tongue Tripping

when one is having difficulties pronouncing simple everyday words, and/or when one says a completely different word that usually begins with the same letter, but isn't at all what you intended to say...or something comes out of your mouth and immediately you wonder why on earth you said that?

TROLL

sub-human nonsensical scum that roams newsgroups vomiting forth drivel in an attempt to create controversy and dissent .... DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS.

Whatamihereafter

what am I here after - use as required, only slightly better term than "daaaa"

Whatamiherefor

what am I here for - see above

WHINE

we have insane notions everyday
Old 08-26-2001, 01:08 AM   #11  

Here is something on Fibro too!

Subject: My Name is Fibromyalgia

Hi,.
My Name is Fibromyalgia, and I'm an Invisible Chronic Illness. I am now velcroed to
you,....for life.
Others around you can't see me or hear me, but YOUR body feels me. I can attack you
anywhere and anyhow I please. I can cause severe pain or, if I'm in a good mood, I can
just cause you to ache all over. Remember when you and Energy ran around together and
had fun? I took Energy from you, and gave you Exhaustion. Try to have fun now!
I also took Good Sleep from you and, in its place, gave you Brain Fog. I can make you
tremble internally or make you feel cold or hot when everyone else feels normal.
Oh, yeah, I can make you feel anxious or depressed, too. If you have something planned,
or are looking forward to a great day, I can take that away, too.
You didn't ask for me. I chose you for various reasons: That virus you had that you never
recovered from, or that car accident, or maybe it was the years of abuse and trauma.
Well, anyway, I'm here to stay!
I hear you're going to see a doctor who can get rid of me. I'm rolling on the floor, laughing.
Just try. You will have to go to many, many doctors until you find one who can help you
effectively.
You will be put on pain pills, sleeping pills, energy pills, told you are suffering from anxiety
or depression, given a TENs unit, get massaged, told if you just sleep and exercise
properly I will go away, told to think positively, poked, prodded, and MOST OF ALL, not
taken as seriously as you feel when you cry to the doctor how debilitating life is every day.

Your family, friends and co-workers will all listen to you until they just get tired of hearing
about how I make you feel, and that I'm a debilitating disease.
Some of them will say things like "Oh, you are just having a bad day" or "Well, remember,
you can't do the things you use to do 20 YEARS ago", not hearing that you said 20 DAYS
ago. Some will just start talking behind your back, while you slowly feel that you are losing
your dignity trying to make them understand, especially when you are in the middle of a
conversation with a "Normal" person, and can't remember what you were going to say
next!
In closing, (I was hoping that I kept this part a secret), but I guess you already found out.
. .
the ONLY place you will get any support and understanding in dealing with me is with
Other People With Fibromyalgia. ..
Except the minority of us, who like me, have support from their immediate family; some get
it from their spouses, and then again.......sometimes, not!
Others spend years explaining and re-explaining to siblings, children, neighbors, and so
on, only to find that they are really non-believers. And, yes.....there are even *medical
professionals* who don't believe I exist. But, I do..........and, one day they will see the
light. Some will even be afflicted.
Now,.....YOU know *why* they call ME the *Invisible Disease!*; and, if you don't yet
because you are newly diagnosed, no doubt you will encounter the disbelief and sarcasm
sooner or later......so, brace yourself!!
I am real.......I DO exist. At least, you, the afflicted, know this!
You feel the pain every day, with every breath.
Your mission, if you choose to accept, is to seek the best medical care you can find,
because you are going to need it!! Stand up for yourself, and ignore the non-believers.
They are not afflicted nor are they affected by your pain and anguish, so discard them, and
move on to those who will help US.
I guess you figured out, already......we're roommates......we're a team!

We might as well find a way to get along with each other.....somehow.
I only wish we could have met under better circumstances.
In the words of *Sonny & Cher*, "I Got You, Babe!""

Last edited by Candicej; 08-26-2001 at 02:01 AM.
Old 08-26-2001, 07:21 AM   #12  

Default Hello

Boys those posts were great.My son came over yesterday and the other one called at the same time-then it was Michael-Bob for the rest of the day.I'm so glad I have something to blame it on.Didn't win powerball so I'll have to go to work tomorrow.I'm going to do some painting today or colored pencils. I got the most beautiful address book with pictures from Monet's home in France-what an inspiration. I have a pond in back of me with water lilies and sometimes it looks like the famous paintings.I'll take a picture and try to copy it.Another beautiful day here-just like New york weather.Walked uptown yesterday to Holden Days and had a great hot dog .8 pts but I counted them.Meme-hope you are relaxing-Hope your arm gets better soon. My TMJ is better but still there.Jo-Anne-rest tomorrow. Hi to all. Mima
Old 08-26-2001, 09:59 PM   #13  

Default How It Happened!

How It Happened

And God populated the earth with
broccoli and cauliflower and
spinach, green and yellow
vegetable of all kinds,
so Man and Woman would
live long and healthy lives.

And Satan created McDonald's.

And McDonald's brought forth the
99-cent double-cheeseburger.

And Satan said to Man,
"You want fries with that?"

And Man said, "Supersize them."
And Man gained pounds.

And God created the healthful yogurt,
that woman might keep her figure that
man found so fair.

And Satan brought forth chocolate.
And woman gained pounds.

And God said, "Try my crispy fresh salad."
And Satan brought forth ice cream.
And woman gained pounds.

And God said, "I have sent your heart
healthy vegetables and olive oil with
which to cook them."

And Satan brought forth chicken-fried
steak so big it needed its own platter.

And Man gained pounds and his
bad cholesterol went through the roof.

And God brought forth
running shoes and Man
resolved to lose those extra pounds.

And Satan brought forth cable TV
with remote control so Man would
not have to toil to change channels
between ESPN and ESPN2.

And Man gained pounds.

And God said,
"You're running up the score, Devil."

And God brought forth the potato,
a vegetable naturally low in fat and
brimming with nutrition.

And Satan peeled off the healthful skin
and sliced the starchy center into chips
and deep-fat fried them.

And he created sour cream dip also.

And Man clutched his remote control
and ate the potato chips
swaddled in cholesterol.

And Satan saw and said, "It is good."

And Man went into cardiac arrest.

And God sighed and created
quadruple bypass surgery.

And Satan created HMO's.

(author unknown)
Old 08-27-2001, 06:22 AM   #14  

Default Hi

Hello-that was funny,Happy!!Start the day with a laugh.Going to work in an hour-I intend to survive on naps. This will be the first time I've ever worked with no one else in the house when I come home. Good!!!The girl upstairs should be leaving any minute. She teaches also. And it's going to be warm but we had beautiful weather for 2 days. I walked to my girlfriend's house and she took me out to eat-last birthday celebration.Hope I stayed even.I'll be happy to see my former co-workers today! Gotta finish my oatmeal. Hope everyone is ok. Mima
Old 08-27-2001, 05:26 PM   #15  

Happy...I knew you could type...but what's up with Candice? Thought she was gonna be out of commission for a while.
I am drinking gallons of water trying to clear a few beers out of my system from Saturday.
I really like to have a few beers once in a while, but they make me gain weight and then I can't sleep the night I drink and have a few days of recovery.
Have to wonder if it is worth it.
Going to the Rock and Roll Hall of fame on Thursday in Cleveland. Anyone been there???????
Closed Thread