Do you think it's okay to start while your young?

• Okay, I was a chubby 13 year old and I lost 20 pounds this year, making me slim now. (14 yrs old)

I have a question for all of you though, and since most of you are alot older then me, I'm guessing you would know the answer

Do you think it's best to worry while your young? Like worry about how much fat is in something and calories and stuff? In my opinion, I think it's okay, because if you worry now, you wont have to worry later. But everyone who is older then me say that I should cherish the moment and eat whatever I like and then when im older, worry about exercise and fitness and such

but isnt the main reason all grownups are overweight is because they adapted to unhealthy eating and no exercise while they were young? so they are use to it and naturally continue with bad eating habits while there older?

SHould i even worry about how much calories are in a slice of pizza, or cake, or a sandwich or whatever? I mean, I suppose I reached my goal (just my stubborn belly fat) but for some reason, I still care about what I eat. Its hard for me NOT to look at the nutritional facts. should i just not worry about it and enjoy food while im young and worry about it when im an adult? your opinions? Do you think you should have worried young?
  • I absolutely do not think you should WORRY. But I do think you should make every effort to develop a healthy lifestyle...

enjoy life... laugh, play, meet friends
    exercise
    choose healthy foods .. (the less processed the better)

Be careful not to overeat or medicate yourself with food.

Most importantly stay active doing things you love to do.

You are smart to think about this now.. but please don't consume yourself with worry.
  • I think its okay as long as you have your eating under control. Just remember moderation. It won't hurt at all to have pizza, cake, etc, once in a while.

Enjoy your youth but just remember moderation, just like anything, don't over do it. Also you can also talk to your health educator at school or your dr. for any further questions, they are great resources.

And yes I think exercise is a great idea, just as long as you don't over do it! Talk with your dr and parents before trying anything new!

Good Job on the 20 lb. weight loss!

*Flady*
  • You are at the perfect age to learn about good nutrition and proper eating. Do not ever think about 'dieting', think only about living a 'healthy lifestyle'.

If you do that you will never have to worry about trying to reverse years of bad eating habits. Learn to do the good stuff now and you will be rewarded with a long and healthy life. Just don't become OC about it, because that's the kind of behaviour that leads to eating disorders.

Remember . . . you want to be HEALTHY . . . not skinny.
  • My daughter is 13 and wanted to become healthier when I started my new lifestyle. She lost 27 lbs. and is much happier and more secure with herself now. She enjoys treats and pizza, etc. at times, but also walks with me a lot and has become lots healthier. She no longer just watches TV all the time. She's just more active in general. She doesn't really worry about food all the time but I know she pays attention more to what she eats. I think that learning good nutritional habits at a young age is definitely a plus, but don't let it consume you. Have fun and enjoy life.
  • Hello and you ask a very good question.

I would adapt a good lifestyle, eating the things you like, but not everyday. It is NEVER to early to start eating a HEALTHY diet. DO NOT obcess about food, as that could lead you into trouble (anorexia, bulemia).

I think a lot of older people are overweight because of lifestyles that they have chosen. They are tired from working, and running kids around and from medications that they might take. Some people are NOT able to exercise as they get older and that also causes weight gain.

Just remember, although you are only 14, it is far easier to learn to control your weight NOW that when you get older.

Good luck on your endeavors. REMEMBER - NO OBCESSING OVER FOOD!!!!
  • I absolutely agree!
    I wish I hadn't started worrying about my weight at your age (weighing 126lbs!) maybe I wouldn't have entered into the whole yo-yo dieting thing and ended up here at 238lbs!
    use the food pyramid model, eat healthily and most of all keep active!
  • Having and knowing what a healthy body image is also important. When I was 13 (ten years ago) and up until my late teens I really did not know that much about body image. I knew I wouldn't have wanted to be a stick figure, but I thought I was just so grotesque because I thought I was suposed to weight 120 pounds. At my height and body frame that would have been underweight. In reality I wasn't nearly as overweight as I thought I was. I also saw peers of mine develope issues like bullemia and anorexia because they didn't know what was healthy.

So healthy is good. Know what you should weigh. Exercise. Cheat everyonce in a while and pig out on pizza. Just keep realistic goals in mind.
  • I agree with many of the posts here. Good advice.

I think you are smart for CARING about your health. I think if you adopt good habits now you won't have to learn them later. BUT please do not FOCUS only on food and weight. like everyone else has said

eat healthy

enjoy the occasional treat

MOVE A LOT

but most importantly, enjoy your youth!