Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 07:59 PM   #1  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Default PHYSICAL CHALLENGES ~ January's Monthly Thread #005

WELCOME EVERYONE ~ this thread is for anyone with any kind of physical challenge like SB, CP, MS, PK, Lupus, Osteo, Arthritis, Rheumatism, or any other condition (whether genetic or acquired), that causes physical limitations and/or difficulties.

Please join us in this special thread ~ to give support and encouragement; and share ideas, or just chat with one another ...

*** IT'S TIME FOR OUR NEW MONTHLY THREAD ***

HAPPY JANUARY EVERYONE

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-03-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:39 PM   #2  
Rosebud

HELLO LADIES ~ we had a bit of a wind storm today, so we just stayed home and started taking down our Christmas decos; we got about half done, and we hope to get the rest done tomorrow.

Well, it's a new year and a new month; and that brings with it another chance to start anew and to make some improvements over last year. 2007 was really a good year for us in many ways; but as life does sometimes, near the end, some misfortune did arise for some of our family members.

At the end of each day, I ask myself ... what can I do better? I do the same on the first of each month now. I don't bother with resolutions, but instead try to look for ways to improve my life instead.

I hope you ladies all had a nice NEW YEARS, and we wish you the best for the coming year ... take good care, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 01-04-2008, 06:33 AM   #3  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hi Ladies

Well the weather has been cold here but no where as cold as the weather people predicted. Fortunately we have had no snow either. The gritting lorries were out in force last night gritting the roads for the forecasted weather.

DH is just about to reformat a PC of a friends son. This is because it keeps crashing. There must be a conflict in software on there and it is like looking for a needle in a haystack to try and find which are conflicting. It is sometime quicker and easier to wipe the PC clean and start again. So DH will be keep busy for the next few hours or so.

Must take our Christmas decorations down either today or tomorrow. I always think the home looks bare for a few weeks after they are taken down.

On Monday I have booked my first session in the diving chamber at the MS centre. I am just got my fingers crossed that it will be suitable for me. I contact the experts down in Portsmouth about whether they felt it would beneficial to me with having trigeminal neuralgia. They told me most people who have this condition and MS are OK in the diving chamber and do not experience pain in the majority of cases. If it goes OK then I have 3 other sessions booked for the same week. This is because I have to have 15 to 20 sessions in quick succession then thereafter once a week or once a fortnight depending on how I feel.

Gosh I can not believe we have started another thread so that means another month has whizzed by so quickly. They don't half seem to go by quickly.

DH changed his mobile phone (cell phone) yesterday with his type of insurance that he took out on the phone he could change it after 6 months. So he now has a nokia n65 I think they are called. We need one that has internet connection as our sat nav system relie on it for the traffic reports telling us of congestion and accident etc on the road. With doing our trips we have it very useful and it has saved us a many a long hour in queues.

Must dash I must start to make some head way in making dinner else we will not have it by tea time

bye bye

Last edited by purpleorc; 01-04-2008 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:44 PM   #4  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

good evening!
I've tried to read over the end of the december thread to keep up to date so I know what's been going on with everyone.

I took down my Christmas decorations a few days ago.. spent new years on a reserve north of here with my parents and I go back to work on Monday.

Purple - have I read this right -- you'r going into a diving chamber? I'm getting a mental picture of you doing medically supervised deep sea diving?? I hope it goes well?

and you're right about my hair. long story short.. I was bored one day last summer.. and alone with a pair of sizzers.. so I started chopping at my own ponytail. Once I went to my hairstylist she had to ccut it pretty short to make things even...so I've got some short layers that wont stay up. I'm trying to grow it out.

Rosebud - I'm not making resolutions either. I 'recommitted' myself to my lifestyle change post holidays but it was nice to ring in the new year knowing I had already successfully lost 60 pounds. It looks like the dragonflys in your signature are starting to pile up too!

I'm going to head out -- we're waiting for my parents to come into town for the evening. I'll check in this weekend to catch up

Last edited by valpal23; 01-04-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:06 AM   #5  
MSer living healthy

Hi ladies

Looks a beautiful morning so far with glorious sunshine but last night it bucketed it down with rain.

I have never been one for making new years resolutions either don't think I have ever done so. The "naugthty" things I did I was in denial about but in the past years I have stopped biting my nails and stopped smoking. So my weight is the last one to master it is the one that takes the longest to rectify that is for sure. But when I embarked on this journey no one said it was going to be easy so steadily I plod along.

VALPAL :~ The diving chamber actually goes no where near water it is all done on land and is electrically done to create the pressure that you would have experience being at certain depths. The depths that I will try are 12 metres, 24 metres and 32 metres. Plus have 100% oxygen at the same time. No one depth is better than the other it is what is better for you and you tell them which one you feel better at and stay with that. It is suppose to help generally with tireness and help your mobility some find that they walk much better after treatment. So fingers crossed that I find some benefit from it. It is not available on the NHS but is run by a charity so we have to pay a small fee if you have MS but anyone else who wishes to use it will have to pay full price for treatment. Thanks for your best wishes much appreciated.

Must close now as I am feeling tired not yet had my medication and need the boost that they give. Bye ladies and take care xxx

Last edited by purpleorc; 01-05-2008 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:16 AM   #6  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

It will have to be a quick stop by this morning as I am having my morning coffee as we have been invited out for lunch with friends.

I awoke this morning to a very sharp frost but it is sunshining so I would think the frost is going to disappear fairly quickly.

DH has finished the pc he was reformatting after a little struggle. Firstly because the keyboard was USB and we do not have a USB keyboard. So DH picked it up from them the next day. From there on it was fairly straight forward. Fortunately the PC whom it is, are going to put on the drivers for the sound and ethernet card etc. Normally we put them on but this is a Dell computer and he has never done a Dell computer before. Even going to Dells site you see an array of drivers but which is the right one that is the real question.

Well DH and I are slowly but surely plodding through our medical dramas that we had pretaped. Of which there where 40+ of them We I think are somewhere in the low 30's now. Well we are now watching recording of september last year

Time to dash wash a few pots up and get myself ready to go out. bye ladies catch up with you soon
Old 01-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #7  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

I left it to post early evening then I could report on my high oxygen therapy (diving chamber). I experienced some pain in my ears like when you fly due to the pressure. But once I had resolved that by swallowing and pinching my nose and blowing. Whilst you are in there you have a face mask supplying you with 100% oxygen and it when they are on it sounds quite noisy. Something like darth vader but much louder.

Unfortunately after treatment I experience a nose bleed but nothing major. Afterward the staff there said that it could be the start of a cold. Oh great I need a cold like a whole in head Oh well I will brace myself and hope it is not. This is because if you have a cold you should not go in the tank as it makes the procedure very painful. I feel achy at the minute and a little cold. I was told that I might experience some achiness so not so unexpected.
My arms feel like I have been carrying heavy items. Will keep you posted on how it goes. I am booked in for 10am tomorrow, 6pm for Wednesday and 12.45pm on Thursday. Will have to book further sessions.

Right now must go I have some pots to wash up and going to watch a film on TV for some relaxation. bye bye take care ladies hope you are all well.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:52 PM   #8  
Rosebud

HELLO LADIES ~ GEE, I didn't realize it had been so long since I posted; I thought I was in here on Friday or Sat. The memory plays tricks on you when you are busy, eh? It took almost all day on the weekend to get the tree and rest of the Christmas decos and boxes sorted out. We are using a new system that SHY from Christian Encouragers thread mentioned.

I marked all the boxes with a big number to keep them in order, becuz every year we lose track of at least one box somehow. With this new system, we shouldn't have that problem anymore; we also re-organized them to get more stuff in fewer boxes becuz we do have limited storage space here.

PURPLE ~ thanks for holding down the fort; I suppose you were wondering what happened to me. I like to come in at least every other day or more; just lost track of the days becuz we were so busy. I have been having a longer nap each afternoon to give me more energy. I have been doing a lot of reading lately too; just magazine subscriptions that we got for Christmas gifts and some a friend brought over for me.

I hope that 'pressure' diving chamber works out for you; I have heard of that kind of therapy before. Sorry you had a few small side effects though; but I will be praying for you that everything goes well for you, and that you find some benefits from it.

VAL ~ yes, I love to see all those dragonflies; I noticed that lots of other ladies go by 'five' lb allotments and thought that might encourage me just a tad more; it does look like an army, eh??? LOL! I got a new mobile this Christmas; it's a long string of lovely butterflies (8) that hangs from the ceiling beside my large pink & purple dragonfly; and I have many other mobiles across my livingroom divider. Yah, I love them; can you tell?

Just wanted to let you know that I am keeping on plan; hope my few little treats didn't cause me any problem. I am always amazed at some ladies who even lose weight over Christmas; I hope to at least stay the same.

HELLO TO MO; hope you are well dear. And, that's all from here for now; so take good care, your friend ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-07-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:52 PM   #9  
Rosebud

HELLO CHICKIES ~ Well, we had another wet day today; it's raining out there right now (drizzling actually). So very odd for January here; we are usually down to -30C at this time of year. The backyard and our parking lot are sheer ice; and one of our neighbours slipped and fell on it, so Dh went out to the side of the road and brought back some sand to spread around the front area for added safety.

We hope to go into town tomorrow for errands and small pick-ups; will have to be extra careful (Dh put some sand around our car too). It's no good for walking at all; have to do indoor stuff for awhile. Never go the snow they predicted ~ lol!

We just did housework today; laundry and stripping the beds and such. Had some of that nice homemade turkey soup with homemade w/bran biscuits for dinner tonight. Had a baked apple for my snack too.

PURPLE ~ hope you are feeling OK after your special treatment today. Why do they have to do so many in a row? Do they have to try and figure out what level of pressure you need? I hope this will help you in some way; still keepin' you in my prayers, hon ...

DH is listening to easy listening rock and roll while I'm playing on here; that's kinda nice to listen to now and then. Gotta find things to do inside when you have yucky weather like this ~ lol!

HI TO VAL AND MO ~ have a great week, ladies!

ANYWAYS, that's all from here for now; take good care, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 01-09-2008, 01:50 AM   #10  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

hello ladies,

Purple I hope you're relatively well and that those cold symptoms didnt get a chance to really creep on you but if they did.... you must be resting as much as possible to nip it in the bud eh? Have you experienced any of the positives from the chamber yet?

Rosebud Time does fly when we get busy! My first priority online is journalling my daily food at fitday.com but sometimes even that get's left behind nevermind 3fc. Right now, I have a chance to read the forum because I cant sleep! ha ha I decided to stop laying in bed trying to sleep and actually 'do something' though

I changed one of my tickers around a bit too to be more encouraging to myself.. I was doing the self sabotage thing because it felt like I had come so far and still had so far to go. Sometimes the little things really can make a difference like that.

As for the reason that I'm still awake -- today I bought my first brand new vehicle. It's a 2007 Chevy Optra..... I got a great deal... and everything worked out amazingly well (I went in the dealership thinking I could only get a stock generic no options model but came out with my 'ideal fully loaded car' for the same price) Something about clearing out last year's models combined with a 'recent graduate' student bonus along with a christmas promotion that is ending this week.

It's been invigorating but scary at the same time. Anyways, my nerves always get the best of me and kill my appetite AND ability to sleep so I've got a feeling the next couple days till I sign all the car paperwork will be kinda tense.

I'm going to go sit in my bed again -- I've still got to work tomorrow. lol take care all!

Last edited by valpal23; 01-09-2008 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:17 AM   #11  
MSer living healthy

Good Morning Ladies

Sorry I did not stop by yesterday but my treatment was at 10am yesterday so up reasonably early for me to attend the appointment. The treatment takes about 90 minutes then I had a drink at the centre and had a chat to a couple of people whilst I was there. By that time dinner had rolled upon us fortunately I had prepared a lunch already so it was just stick it in the microwave to warm up. I then had a rest on the sofa for a hour as I am tired after treatment and also I had been up for about an hour. We then went out for our daily stroll in the neighbourhood. Watched a little television and tea time was upon us. After tea it was a day for playing card so not much time for sitting at computers. Today treatment is at 6pm so will not get back till around 8pm.

Well that day is upon me again the weekly shopping so out in a short while to pick up the groceries and such like. We are going out for lunch today for a break for me from the kitchen and cooking.

ROSEBUD:~ I am feeling a little tired after treatment but other than that nothing to report on that front which I am grateful for. Yesterdays treatment went a whole heap better maybe as I did not wear my mask until I got to depth and was able to clear my ears of the air pressure that you experience. You have so many to build up in your system I think but more importantly it is so that you can see which depth is the better one for you as every day there is a different depth. I must admit I am reading quite a bit of my books as I am taking it into the tanks. This is because you can not hold any real conversation in there as the mask is over your face and with you breathing the noise when your breath goes through the mask it sound like Darth Vader amplified so actually quite noisy in there.

VALPAL:~ No cold as yet I am so pleased to report as like you they really wipe me out thick and fast. So I am still hoping and praying that a cold does not materialise fortunately after years of working in hospitals I have a good immune system against such bugs. No real positive symptoms as yet from the tank but they might start very shortly at different depths. The treatment yesterday was quite enjoyable if that was the word for it. The people in the tank were great fun and chatty. This is more my sort of people where the previous day they were OK but I love the much more jovial fun that we were having. My DH said he could hear me laughing which he had not heard on the previous occasion as they were more straight laced folks.

It is good that you recognised that your where sabotaging yourself due to your ticker and have nipped it in the bud. I have a secondary ticker which is my main goal now the weight is not dropping so rapidly and they are in increments of 14lb or stones to me. When I have achieved the 14lbs it also represents another stone lost and into a new stonage such as 18 to 17 stone. Which is such a boost to the moral and confidence. It also then gives me more motivation for the next stone from say 17 to 16 stone. I know that sounds so complex to you as your weight is alway known by the amount of pounds. This is because I know what it has been like trying to use the pound system. I still have no idea of peoples weights unless I convert them to stones. Although I must admit now it is coming easier and I can envisage more and more weights by pounds.

Time to skip off get some clothes on and get myself off to shopping this week Hi to Mo bye bye ladies and take care
Old 01-09-2008, 10:58 PM   #12  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ nice to hear form you both! We didn't get to go into town afterall becuz we got hit by a terrible snow storm; up to 60 kilometer winds and it's a mess out there; the police are warning people to stay off the roads as they are icy as well.

Dh wants to go in tomorrow morning if the roads are clear enough; we'll have to see. The travelling Vet is supposed to be coming tomorrow; sure hope he doesn't cancel becuz of the weather. We are getting somewhat anxious about what's wrong with her; hope it's not too serious.

PURPLE ~ I'm so glad your therapy session today was so positive and the workers were so enjoyable too. I hope the rest of your treatments go just as well and they have moocho benefits for you.

VAL ~ We're just staying in today; couldn't do much else. I used to do FITDAY.com all the time; later I cut down to once a week or month now, just to make sure I'm keeping on track. I used to just write things down in a regular journal, but Fitday gives a better breakdown of food types.

CONGRATS on the new car, VAL ~ I understand what you mean about scary; a new car with it's monthly payment is a big commitment, but if you are careful to budget correctly each month everthing should be OK.

All our bills come out the first two weeks of the month; we always leave more than enough in our account to pay for everything, so we never have to worry. I always recommend a savings account for backup; a bit off each pay.

I found this article about 'Keepin' the Winter Blues at Bay' and I'm posting it for you in another post as it is long. I know that you mentioned SAD before and we also do whatever we can to deal with the lack of sunshine. Some of the ideas are really good; hope they help ...

HELLO TO MO; and take good care, your friend ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-09-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:07 PM   #13  
Rosebud

Default Keepin' The Winter Blues At Bay ...

KEEPIN' THE WINTER BLUES AT BAY ...

Strange, we never look within ourselves where the cold emptiness begins. Ironically, the solution exists inside where we can find greater control and empowerment through positive perception. Seeing every day as a good day with its special distinguishing moments creates peacefulness and clarity.

And for those of us who demand immediate gratification, we can change our perception immediately whether at work or at home. It can be as simple as: rearranging a few knick knacks, where we usually sit at the kitchen table, or moving a chair or lamp from here to over there.

Here are some more tips to help you change your perception of winter and bring warmth and light into a chilly life:

-- Raise the blinds and let the light shine in. Sit by the window look out and gaze, or read. Feel the warmth.

-- Try eating more hot soups and stews. Add beans and lentils to your diet. These hearty meals are both comforting and nourishing. (If you use canned soups pay attention to the amount of sodium as many ready-made soups are high in sodium.)

-- Go outside to reset your biological clock. Let natural sunlight counteract SAD. Appreciate the winter landscape: the “tree architecture” that we never notice when the leaves are flourishing, or the feathery ornamental grasses swaying in the wind.

-- Exercise to stimulate and bring warmth to your body. Many of us are bored with treadmills and stairmasters that go nowhere.

-- Change up your routine. Dress warmly and go for a brisk fitness walk. If you can get to the shore, a walk on the beach is peaceful and inspiring. Try some new classes in Pilates, Yoga, Belly Dancing, Salsa and Weight Training. Join a league to participate in fun team sports. Get a buddy to exercise with or make friends in fitness centers.

-- Connect with sunny people. Do volunteer work. We tend to get isolated in the winter and keep to our igloos. Get out and see positive people who appreciate you and if you can’t get out, use the phone or email.

-- Bring tropical plants into the house. Their gracious leaves and greenery will lift your spirits and give you a taste of eternal summer.

-- Look at the color orange which is cheering. No need to repaint your home; just put something orange on the desk or your coffee table. (Note: we did repaint our place off white with 'French butter' cupboards; and winter sunshine yellow; pearl blue; and lilac; and the difference was amazing. People constantly remark how bright and calm our place is now)

-- Try a warm glowing candle light meditation. Light a candle in the evening and stare at the flame for about 30 seconds to a minute. Then close your eyes and breathe to your own natural rhythm and see what comes up for you in meditation.

-- Give yourself an auto-massage. Warm some inexpensive olive oil in the microwave and massage your body from head to toe. Long strokes for the limbs, circular strokes for the torso. Make sure to massage the temples, and using your thumbs, do windshield wiper movements under and over your eyes. Feel the warmth pervade your body. (*what a great idea*)

-- If I change my seat at the kitchen table, I really see things from a different perspective. I might notice something new in my field of vision. If I rearrange paintings or furniture, I see them with a fresh eye and appreciate them differently. When we are beset by winter doldrums, long nights, clearly we need to let the pendulum swing the other way to restore the balance.

-- Try adding bright things to your home; red or yellow roses; other pastel-colored flowers; pretty mobiles; bright cushions and pillows. I find this really made a difference in my home.

-- Simplify your home, room by room. Clean out the clutter and donate what you have not used in years. In winter we tend to contract and go inward. Use this indoors time to organize your home. Sharing the extras with the needy will give you an inner glow.

ROSEBUD
Old 01-10-2008, 10:23 AM   #14  
MSer living healthy

Afternoon Ladies.

We decided to do our daily walk early to today as it really looked like rain. Phew we were lucky just as we open our garden gate on the return journey it started to spit with rain. Then the heavens opened and we had a downpour of rain.

I have just returned from my oxygen therapy. So that is my first four down. I have booked in next weeks sessions today. Next Monday we have to take Dad to have his preoperative checks so he will be there for a while (hours) and have tests done. He will be admitted on the 20 January I think the date is. Although he will have stopped his warfrin (blood thinner) on the Thursday as per consultants instructions. His operation is scheduled for the Tuesday. So during the time he is in hospital mum will be staying with us as it makes it easier all round. The hospital is not their local one in town but one 30 miles away. Mum does not drive a car so hence easier to have her as a guest for a few weeks. So it looks like a will be busy for the next couple of weeks visiting day having my oxygen treatment. Oh for a few more hours in the day

ROSEBUD:~ Thanks for the tips to keep the winter blues away. I do hope you get to see the vet to put your mind at rest regarding your furry baby. I appreciate how much of a worrying time it must be for you. Your like us Rosebud our bills come out in the first 2 weeks then that way we know where we are and don't get things mixed up. At the end of the month monies left over goes into the saving account for emergencies. We have done that for a long while now and it seems to work well for us.

Just wrapped up my dad's birthday present as it is his birthday on the 16 January so I will take it with me tomorrow when we visit mum and dad.

Well time to put some pots of vegetables on for dinner as we have had to swap our hot meal round today due to treatment. bye bye ladies catch up with you soon

Last edited by purpleorc; 01-10-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:23 PM   #15  
Rosebud

HELLO LADIES ~ well, we had beautiful sunshine all day today; what a nice change for us (was able to catch a few Vit D's after all). We did get to go into town too; the travelling Vet was there and we took our little SWEETIE, who was a bit nervous but handled it OK.

PURPLE ~ sadly, the prognosis was the same one the other Vet guessimated; he thinks she has a large tumor, becuz she is 15+ y/o and female; and this is common at that age. But he did give me some antibiotics to give her for any possible infection and told me to continue the vitamins I was already giving her. He estimates that she could have another 3-6 months after this; to just make her as comfortable as possible and we promised to spoil her even more too. So, she had TUNA for dinner tonight ~ lol!

Will be praying for you DAD for the 22nd of January; hope all goes well for him for his surgery. That's nice that your mom can stay with you so she can keep an eye on him too; that will be such a comfort for her. Yes, with your treatments too, you will be one busy gal.

Good thing I am frugal and have a good financial plan becuz just after we left the VETS, our car broke down again. Thank GOD my UNCLE ANGEL happened along and brought SWEETIE and me home with the groceries. But we had to have the car towed home (we live 10 miles out in the country); so with the Vet fee and meds, plus the car and a gift to my Angel, it was one expensive day for us. But we are still solvent (in the black) ~ lol!

Now Dh has to fix it himself; but I am confident he can; it's better than a car payment at this point for us. We are saving up ourselves for the next one; as we know that this one will not last forever. We are just going to make it last as long as we can; we'll squeek out every mile we can, then go looking for a better one (and we do have a list already) ~ LOL!

WELL, we have had more than our share today, but maybe a good night's rest will put a new light on things for us. I am so glad that I have MY FAITH in GOD and his beautiful Son, in my life; I just don't know how people make it through times of trouble and stress without them. I'm just grateful, that's all.

Take good care, your friend ROSEBUD
Closed Thread