Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Spelling ability and Fibromyalgia and CFIS

I have a lot of cognitive symptoms with my fibromyalgia. The classic fibro-fog when I'm flaring (where I become ditzier than any blonde in a dumb blond joke), but even when I'm feeling great, it seems that my spelling ability has gone out the window completely.

My spelling has always been great. Except, for some weird reason, as a kid, and even as an adult, I would sometimes write d when I meant g at the end of a word, but I would catch it right away and correct it (so my g's sometimes had long high tails). So except for my weird g's, my spelling has always been good. I would always notice, with some annoyance, other people's spelling errors, especially homonym mistakes (too, to, two/ are, our...)

The crazy part is, that I seem to have lost my spelling ability over the last couple year. I find myself spelling phonetically (even crazy small words) or mixing words...) It's got me a little concerned. I see the neurologist in January, I'll bring it up to him, but has anyone noticed this as part of Fibro or CF?.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:51 PM   #2  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb Brain Fog

I bought a book(used) titled "The Nashville Diet" recently on amazon.com for under $5.00 including shipping and handling. The author is both a pharmacist and a person who suffered with fibromyalgia. She discusses at great lengths this disease and how she "conquered" it with nutraceuticals and whole non-processed foods.

I first checked it out of the library before I bought it. I feel this woman has some important things to say and I feel that is science-based as well. Although I do not have fibromyalgia I felt that there was parts of the book that pertained to me that I have incorporated in my own food plan and life style that have worked for me.

It might be worth the read to you.

Last edited by pamatga; 12-04-2007 at 12:52 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:37 PM   #3  

Colleen, I have fibromyalgia. I really haven't noticed a problem with spelling, but I can only speak for myself. I agree with you about being ditzy at times, but my hubby said I'm not any different than I was when he married me!!

Let us know what you find out from your doctor. Take care.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:43 PM   #4  

Hi don't post in this section often I have so many issues I try not to bother people with them. I also have fibro and have lost a lot of my cognitive ability I actually can't drive anymore. But the worst thing I have is that I can't form words that I use to use easily all the time. I act like a person who had a stroke at times even though I didn't. It sucks!
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:46 AM   #5  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

My very good friend has fibro and I have noticed (and she has commented on it) that when she is hurting (flaring ?) she has a much more difficult time thinking of words when we are having a conversation. She'll have to describe something because she can't think of the word, even very simple words sometimes. For her, it definitely comes and goes, she doesn't always have the problem.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Carry, Tammy - that's exactly what I'm talking about. I don't drive anymore either. When I was first diagnosed my husband was doing all of the driving, even driving me to work, because I would fall asleep 5 minutes after getting in the car. Even now that I have the disease better managed, I'm still reluctant to drive. I don't trust my judgement (or lack of it) or my reaction time.

Not being able to find the right word, hasn't been as disturbing as the spelling, I guess because spelling was always so automatic for me. I never really thought about spelling, I just was good at it. Now I find myself writing phonetically some times, or writing a similar but wrong word. I've had neurological tests so I know it isn't early Alzheimers.

It seems that I have several types of flares with the fibro. Pain only, Fatigue only Cognitive only (or a combination of any two or all three). The cognitive only frustrate me the most, because it just seems like I'm stupid or going crazy. It's usually my husband that points out that I'm not "acting myself." I will walk around dazed trying to think of and follow a plan that I can't quite remember. I feel almost drugged.

I've also noticed that medication side-effects are sometimes a little unpredictable with the fibro.

This fall and winter have been really hard. I'm flaring all of the time. I know it's the damp cold weather and the stress (we've had so many medical expenses and close calls with losing insurance, and then car problems).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:04 PM   #7  
Mel

Me too- when I'm flaring my spelling, handwriting, and simple math skills degrade. I was having a lot of problems searching for words, but medication changes improved that immensely.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 218/183/160

I, too, have the spelling problems or I'll try to say a word and i'll switch the last two letters when I speak, this maybe because of meds.. when I have a flare.
the loss of words has improved some.. but occasionaly it will happen. At times I just remind myself to expect it and then I don't get so upset when it happens.
tamely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:05 PM   #9  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 200/129/135

all of the above has affected me, too.
nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:23 AM   #10  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

I get really weird spelling issues when my fibro is flaring. For example, I might spell something phonetically without noticing right away. (eg: I'll start to type "fonetikly" for "phonetically", or "yor/yore" instead of "your.") That sort of thing. I consider myself to be an excellent speller, so I feel your pain!

My biggest problem with the fog is finding the right word, and I tend to get really frustrated when I can't find a word I'm looking for and sometimes get a bit snappy and hyper-defensive because of it. Sigh.
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:18 PM   #11  
Never-giver-upper

S/C/G: 186/176/135

Height: 5'7"

I have fibro, too - I didn't realize my "brain farts" could be related to the fibro. It's so frustrating sometimes when I can't find the word I want. Of course, that happens to everyone at times, but it happens a lot more often than I would consider normal.
Serena C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:41 PM   #12  
Working at it!

S/C/G: 159/156/130

Height: 5-3"

Can I just say that I Love you ladies?
I experience all of these "brain farts" too! I have been worried that I smoked too much pot in my day (shhh) or SOMETHING. It never even occured to me that it could be part of it. I'm really hurting today & can't seem to focus on any one thing.
i'm SO relived, to finally have some contact with others who are dealing w/ this. Thanks!
Jodi N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:10 AM   #13  
Reclaiming Me

S/C/G: 198/193/130

Height: 5'5"

OMG! I was just trying to describe the cognitive (and memory) problems I have started having to a coworker recently. When I am on my meds (neurontin) and it hasn't worn off yet (time for ethe next dose), I have almost no issues with spelling/talking/wrting/math/etc.

As soon as my meds wear off though, I can tell. In fact, I usually will try to say something and can't (describing it, as mentioned above) or will say a sentance completely screwy or will find myself typing and spelling horribly or even writing the wrong words. I will get frustrated and think "what the ****!?" and then look at the clock ,and low and behold, its time from my drugs.

I had some driving issues to. I spaced out and got lost on a part of a major road I drive daily. It really freaked me out because I had no idea where I was and I drove another 6 miles before I figured out I needed to take my meds. I also tried to turn left in a straight through and the most embarressing part about that is when a car pulled up on my left I yelled at them and asked them if they were idiots. No - it was just me.

In some of the research I have read, the cognitive area of the brain "lights up" differently in (some) fibro patients. This could be why.
Enigma77 is offline   Reply With Quote