Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-15-2005, 08:45 PM   #1  
is super! (:

S/C/G: 247/216/190

Height: 5'11

Default heres my obstacle: cranky shrews at the gym

i dont understand why i get so many dirty looks while im at the gym. NO ONE smiles or says hi to me or anyone else. *everyone* has their freakin' game faces on and look like theyre about to go out for the kill. its a GYM we all have a common goal, youd think thered be a *little* more friendliness going on, but its the exact opposite.

i really wanna try an aerobics class but im honestly afraid because the women there are so.. 90% of the women there who do the aerobic stuff have the routines down pat, so the instructor goes so fast. i swear its really frustrating when you feel like 'hey, im finally doing this for myself' but while youre trying to better yourself, you feel like the world is bringing (or trying to) you down.

its frustrating.

<3 cat
hotpinktruckerhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:29 PM   #2  

Hello i am rosey from alaska and post in the diebetics forum...i sympathize with your problem.. theres no excuse for rudeness..i commend you on exercising..its hard physically and emotionally for some of us..you are doing this for you tho so focus on that..might i suggest a diff exercise club.. why not try curves..i did and found really friendly helpful employees and other people exercising like me..and its just for women .. anyways hope that you continue to do what you know is good for you..goodluck rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:01 PM   #3  
is super! (:

S/C/G: 247/216/190

Height: 5'11

yea curves.. there is one *really* local but, a lot of the snots that made my highschool life **** go there. id rather be glared at my strangers than deal with people i know. youre right - i just need to focus. i cant expect the world to be sugarcoated!

<3 cat
hotpinktruckerhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:16 PM   #4  
Being lazy is easier!

S/C/G: 224/216/170

Height: 5' 7"

I have found that our local YMCA is very friendly, and CHEAPER than joining a gym here in FL. I don't know what you are paying, but for me and my daughter (who goes for the pool) it is $32 a month. Our local MegaGym is twice that for just the GYM. During the evenings, just like any other gym, it is crowded, but even when crowded, there are people on one treadmill talking to folks on others, or people doing leg presses talking at the bicep curler next to them. On lunch time it is much quieter with fewer people, so there is a hushed atmosphere, but as you walk by you can still get a "hey" or a nod--there are also lots of cute seniors doing what they can, which makes me feel good to see. We have a range of weights and ages there and it is more of a community than a membership, ya know. Check out your local Y and see if you like it. You can usually pay a Guest Fee of $3 or something to check it out for a few hours.
amykay9377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:06 PM   #5  

I'm curious why you seem to find everyone so unfriendly everywhere. Perhaps you are giving off bad vibes....I find that if I smile at people and say "hi" they do the same. A lot of people at gyms are focused on getting their exercise in and over and don't want to strike up a friendship but they will say "hi."
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:37 AM   #6  
Coop class of '82

One word: Ipod (or in my case, cassette player... yeah, old skool). Plug in those earphones and just go at it. I recommend Curves too, if the chicks from high school are going there, they're most likely NEEDING to and shouldn't be concerned with you. You can always chat with the staff too, the ones at my location are friendly but not intrusive.

I'm guessing that you're quite young, the older we get the less likely we are to CARE what other people may be thinking. A nice deal to offset the emerging crow's feet
KimmyKat63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:24 AM   #7  

I am a little older than everybody else when I started at the gym, so I was quite intimidated. And to tell you the truth, I didn't want to talk to anybody and I didn't want anybody to talk to me. I wanted to be invisible. And now that I'm a little more comfortable, I still just want to focus on my workout, get in and get out.

I do agree with you about the classes -- I can't keep up and really mostly feel like a fool. Most of the instructors aren't paying attention to the needs of people in the class...they're just focusing on getting THEIR exercise in.
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:30 AM   #8  
goy

that is too bad, but i find that when i am working out some days i dont want to strike up a convo, as i am concentrating on my work out.... i do however say hello, and smile......
are these people you know?
goy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:41 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 286/160/145

Are the women being mean in any way or are they just concentrating on their goal? Personally, I'm probably one of those people. I get to the gym, put on my headphones, and go. I don't like any distractions - just me and my music. I find that if I'm social, I don't work as hard. That was part of my problem at Curves. I loved the people there, and I found myself working at a lower intensity so that I could carry on a conversation with somebody while I was there. So, maybe the women aren't trying to snub you or be mean or anything...maybe they're just focused on getting the workout done!
bluedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:04 AM   #10  

this may sound silly but try to find a beginner class. And just ignore everyone else. You did the hardest step your in the building. Take a deep breath and enjoy your work out! You are doing it for you to heck with every one else!
housewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:31 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 139/124/115

I'm definately one of those people who go to the gym focused and try to ignore everyone else around me. I'm not there to socialize, I'm there to work out. It actually really gets to me when people strike up conversation, etc. Its distracting to why I am there. I don't know, it might sound mean but I put in my IPOD or Cd player and don't look around or say high or anything.

As the aerobics class, 10% of them don't. And the only way to join the 90% who do is to take the plunge and do it. Practice tuning them all out and just focusing on you and the instructor. Aerobics is a lot of fun, and you might find more friendliness in the class setting!
anyothername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:03 AM   #12  
Kyethra

Height: 5'8"

I have taken aerobics classes in the past. I am chronically clumsy. Always have been and always will be. But I stayed in the back and tried to do what I could. If I missed up a lot or fell down from tripping over my feet It was ok- I would laugh it off. And everyone in the class- even the really advanced people were friendly. And if they do want to be snobs, well then it is their problem.

But I wouldn't worry about it. Just do your thing. When I go to the student gym I like to people watch between weight machines or on the eliptical- I find different people interesting. I think the guys who stare deeply into the mirror and then nod appreciatively at each other as they lift weights are hilarious. I swear they check out their hair in the mirror more than their form. THey probably think that I think they are hot. And then there are the people who look like they are going to get that last rep in, but it just might make them pass out. Or people who are too busy chatting to actually work out, etc. All sorts of different people.
kyethra is offline   Reply With Quote