Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2001, 09:55 PM   #1  

Default Diabetes #11

Hi everyone, it's been pretty quiet lately. Must mean everyone is having a great summer. We just went through a hot spell for about a week. I thought I was going to be able to start a routine of exercising but when it gets that hot, I don't want to move.

I've been doing ok. I was doing really well last week and then yesterday we had a "goodie day" at work. I thought I was going to be ok but ended up blowing it. Today I wasn't as good as I could've been. I was doing so well. I just have to learn that once I make the comittment that I can't fall off, because it sure is hard getting back on.

This might sound crazy, but I borrowed my sister's digital camera and took one of those goofy pictures of myself holding the camera at arms length. Ohmygosh, I can't tell you how many chins I had. Wake up call!

Anyway, hope everyone is well. Please come back and chat with me. I miss you!

Old 07-27-2001, 12:46 AM   #2  

Hi Luzcious. I know what you mean about the exercising and the heat here in Michigan. It's been so hot. It was nice today and I actually went out walking for a bit. What a good feeling!!

As for blowing it yesterday, don't worry about it. You'll get back on track and all will be fine. The important thing is to try and keep your sugar in check, even though blowing it.

I went to dinner with ladies from work tonight. It was hard because the place we went to is known for their hamburgers and onion rings. I ordered a grilled, skinless chicken breast with rice and a salad. Actually, it was very good. I probably would have ordered the hamburger but my sugar was running high today and I didn't want to chance it. Even with the insulin, I don't like playing with it.

Sorry I haven't written in awhile. I've been with another group on the panic and depression. That's been a very big help. I do read this every day. Thanks to all for all the good reads. You people are very informative.

Hope all are well.
Old 07-27-2001, 09:46 PM   #3  
Darts Diva

Hi All - Well, I just spent the past week at my parents house, house-sitting, dog-sitting and babysitting my 5 year old nephew while they went to Baton Rouge for the Senior Olympics (my Dad was competing in racquetball). Boy, talk about stress!

I ate a lot of junk food and didn't test every day and ate at weird times every day so my BS was wacky! I took a couple of days off from work and spent one day taking my neice to the airport in Dallas. It's been go, go, go!

I got back to work today and there was a pile of crap on my desk! Plus we were out of Cokes, snacks and candy so I had to make a Sam's run. And I went to exercise class at noon after skipping 3 days and I am beat! It's not even 9:00 and I'm ready for bed!

My period is about to start so I am craving chocolate like crazy! I bought a Dove bar and I am eating one square of it every night before bed. It satisfies my craving and it's better than eating a whole bar every night

It's been very hot here, yesterday was 111! The Dallas Cowboys are here for summer training camp and I know they have to be dying out there! It's their 3rd summer here. Some people go out to the university to watch, but not me...it's too dang hot!

Well, hope everyone has a great weekend and has great BS readings!

Barbi
Old 07-31-2001, 08:23 PM   #4  

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't been posting lately. My life isn't my own any more!

I had my appointment with the endocrinologist a week ago and I am trying carb counting now. I've been trying it on my own, but go Friday for my first class. My A1c was 7.2%, not too bad, but not the 5.5 and 6's that I had been having. My doctor said it's not anything I'm doing or not doing that has my blood sugar running higher, it's just that my pancreas isn't working very good and that I will need more insulin along as time goes by. But I've been frustrated and not in the best mood lately.

I'll try to check back more often and let you know how the carb counting is going.
Old 08-01-2001, 11:22 AM   #5  

Default I've been busy

Hi all,

I only have a few minutes as I am posting from work. My Dad has been in and out of the hospital and haven't had much time to post. He's in again and I'm going up after work. I just wanted to say that I have been reading and wish everyone well. I'm doing really well at managing my sugars. I was testing in the 140's in the morning after fasting, and now I'm in the 120's. My doc said fasting sugars should be about 115. I'm almost there. I've really been watching my carb intake and have almost elimated all sugar.

Gotta go, I'll try to post more tonight.

Have a great day ladies!
Old 08-01-2001, 11:35 AM   #6  

Sorry about your dad luzcious. I hope he's better soon.

You're doing great on you FBS readings. I wish I could say the same.....
Old 08-02-2001, 01:05 PM   #7  
Mis

Hi everyone,

I'm back from holidays. I went to Northern Ontario to visit my sister-in-law, I gained a bit of weight but managed to keep my BS pretty much under control.

Janet, sorry to hear you're having a difficult time. I'm trying to limit my carbs but find it extremely difficult as I seem to need them to stave off hunger. I don't have much of a problem with sugars (candy, chocolate--don't even like chocolate), but i sure want my bread.

We're having a hot, humid spell right now so I'm not walking after work, and even with air conditioning I don't feel like doing my exercise tapes.

Look forward to hearing from you all again, I really missed you while I was away.

Linda
Old 08-02-2001, 02:34 PM   #8  

Linda,

Welcome back.

I have an appointment today and tomorrow also at the Diabetes Center to learn how to count carbs. Today is more of an assessment to see how much I know about diabetes, and tomorrow is the actual appointment with the dietician. I will get one-on-one instruction, and am also registered for the class next month. I'm going to give it a try. Whatever it takes to get my blood sugar in control again! My blood sugar has been in a good range today, and was most of the day yesterday. It just doesn't stay that way very long. It's been very frustrating for me!
Old 08-02-2001, 03:35 PM   #9  
Mis

Janet,

Good luck with your appointments. From what I've read here, you know a lot about diabetes and I know you'll get it under control again.

Linda
Old 08-02-2001, 05:03 PM   #10  
Darts Diva

Hi All - Luz, how is your Dad, is he still in the hospital? I hope it's not anything serious.

Linda - did you have a good time with your sister-in-law? I'm going to Oklahoma City this weekend to see my sister. It's about 2 hours from where I live.

Janet - I hope you like the carb class! When I went to the diabetes training classes I learned a lot from the dietician! It's a lot of work reading the labels on everything, but after a few weeks you just "know" how many carbs something has and you don't even have to look anymore. You'll get the hang of it really fast. What shocked me was that what they called a serving was nowhere near what I called a serving! Haha!

My BS has been okay, been a little on the low side - in the 70's. I've been exercising a lot lately so I've been trying to snack before going to the Y, but I hate to eat before exercising! But if I don't, then I start shaking and feeling faint. I keep my Medic Alert bracelet on all the time now, even when I'm showering and sleeping. If I pass out I want someone to know what's wrong right away!

It's very hot here and very dry! I'm pining for Winter! I ordered a new winter coat and I can't wait to wear it. I'm ready for frost and blue Northers!

Well, hope y'all are doing okay. Later -

Barbi
Old 08-06-2001, 11:34 AM   #11  

Default Hello Everyone

Hi Everyone:

I have not posted here for quite some time, but do manage to check in on a fairly regular basis. I am sorry to hear that so many are having so much trouble regulating, but at the same time, reassures me that I am not doing anything too wrong myself when I see the fluctuations.

I have had a terrible time over the past 2 weeks. My sugars are going up again when I had managed to get them to a fairly reasonable level. We had some bad news at work that upcoming layoffs are on the way and I am afraid that I am reacting poorly to the stress. I seem to crave chocolate like crazy lately and think it is also a reaction to the stress. I find that I am not watching carefully or monitoring as stringently as I did last month. Really need some direction on how to regain control.

I am still taking the Metformin and have vowed not to eat any more fast food. I realize that I need to take things one step at a time, but with so much happening it is hard to focus.

Anyway, as usual, thanks to everyone for their help and their encouragement.

Old 08-07-2001, 01:39 PM   #12  
Mis

Hi everyone,

Barbi, I had a wonderul time with my sister-in-law. She lives in an area called the Land of a Thousand Lakes, so it's really beautiful up there. How was your weekend?

Poohbear, it's good to hear from you again. All i can say is hang in there, I know it's hard. I've had good BS levels lately, but this past two weeks I've had a dreadful time sticking to my diet, and of course they ordered pizza at work today and of course I couldn't stay away, so I've eaten my points for the day, oh well!!!.

Janet, how are you doing? I was hoping to hear how your appointments went.

Are you all having a heat wave? We sure are.

Look forward to hearing from everyone again soon. Have a good day.

Linda
Old 08-07-2001, 02:14 PM   #13  

Linda,

I had my first real appointment yesterday. My other one got cancelled at the last minute by the dietician. I feel like I learned a lot. We went over stuff for almost an hour and a half. I go back again Friday morning. I sat down last night and tried making out a menu today. I get 3 1/2 carb exchanges a meal, plus 1 at my snack times. I'm allowed 5-6 oz. of protein a day, and 1 fat exchange at each meal. She has this figured on a 1500 calorie diet and I'm sticking with my current insulin dosages for now. I felt like I was eating so much at breakfast! I usually have a light breakfast. She figured this is what I need to maintain 130 pounds with my age and height. I weigh a little more than that, but told her that's where I wanted to be.

I'm also figuring the WW points for each meal after I get everything else figured.

I hope this works. I'm just afraid that 1500 calories is a little too much for me. I want to reduce my insulin dosage back to where I was 3 months ago. I will give this a try though. I know I'll eventually find the right range for me.

I want to get my A1c back down before my next doctor's appointment. The last one was 7.2. The whole year before that was 5.5 and 6%. I want my good numbers back!
Old 08-12-2001, 03:26 PM   #14  

Hi everyone! Hope all is well. I'm struggling, again. I am such a stress eater, it's awful. With my Dad in and out of the hospital, it's like a rollercoaster ride. I don't know why I just can't eat right all the time. It's should be so darn simple! I really do beat myself up way too much. I try and try and it just seems like two steps forward and three steps back.

I'm trying to cut costs around my house so I had my cable cancelled! I can use that to my advantage to get out and move my butt more, but just the opposite is happening, I'm surfing the web and stuffing my face.

What is it going to take? Will one of you (or all of you) reach out and SLAP me!!!!!!!! I would've thought that being diagnosed with diabetes would have done it, whatever it is, but I haven't made any progress. I read and read and read about it and then get scared and think, "OK, this is it, I don't want to develope all the complications from diabetes." And then two hours later I'm eating again. UGGGHHHHHHHH!

Ok, now that I got that off my chest, how is everybody else doing? It's absolutely beautiful here this weekend and I picked this weekend of all weekends to paint my apt. After dinner, I AM going for a walk, 30 minutes!!!!!

Well, sorry to ramble and hope to see you all around!

Michelle

Last edited by luzcious; 08-12-2001 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-13-2001, 12:37 AM   #15  

Michelle,

You are right, it should be so simple but it never is! But hang in there. I know what you are going through because I used to do the dame thing. I'd read about all the complications while I was stuffing myself. Just keep working at it and trying harder and you will do it.

I've been very frustrated myself. I finally decided to quit the carb counting and just count points again. I had gotten my carbs adjusted again, and it is now more like what I was eating anyway, but it's just taking too much of my energy and time to figure out my menu according to the carb and food exchanges, then counting points and adjusting that until I'm in the right point range. All it has done is made me want to stress eat all weekend, and I'm just tired of it. I will follow the tips and suggestions I have gotten from the dietician, but I'm counting points first from now on. And I feel better since making that decision today. You can't teach an old dog new tricks, and I'm feeling old at the moment since I'm turning 49 next month!

I have my grandson visiting for a few days. He's 7 and wanted to come up to visit before school starts next week. This should keep me busy since my 3 year old granddaughter is here every day while her mom works and she's a handful herself.
Closed Thread