Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2001, 09:48 PM   #46  

Just stopped by to say hello,we are totally crazed here in NY.doing great on the diet as it is the only thing I can control.Hope all are well.
Old 09-20-2001, 04:21 PM   #47  

Default Hello

Hi. I'm relatively new to this forum. Please excuse me if I make a goof. I'm an overweight diabetic who likes to kid herself into believing I'm not really sick. I'm begining to realize this might be a common reaction. I'm curious and I hope somone can explain something to me. I've always craved sweets and salt, but I notice that when my BS is high, I have an almost insatiable desire for more sugar. Does anyone else have this problem? I know, it's probably a 'duh' question but this is driving me crazy! Thanks.

AustiCat
Old 09-20-2001, 04:46 PM   #48  

Hi and welcome!

I think we all like to pretend that we are okay, and we can get by with it sometimes. But usually not for long.

I don't know that I've ever really craved more sugar when my BS is high, but I've always had the problem that nothing is ever too sweet for me....like when a person will take a bite of fudge or cake and say "oh that's too rich and sweet for me" and they put it down. I want to just slap them when they say that.... ...first because they have the chance to eat these things without worrying about their blood sugar, and second because I've never found anything that was too sweet for me! I've always been like this, even before I found out I had diabetes.

Maybe some others can help you with this.
Old 09-20-2001, 05:24 PM   #49  
Darts Diva

Hi AustiCat - This is what my diabetes counselor has told us about the high BS. When your BS is high, that means your carbs (sugars) are not getting into your little "energy cells", instead they are just floating around in your bloodstream (hence, the high BS when you test your blood). So, your little "energy cells" are "starving" so to speak, and that's why you crave even more sugar. Your body is not getting any fuel. One of the symptoms of diabetes is tremendous hunger, especially after just eating. That was one of the symptoms I had. I felt like I was starving even after I had just eaten a huge meal! My stomach would even growl!

We all have spells of "denialbetes"! This disease is no fun! But after a while you just accept it as a fact of your life. You can't cure it (at least not yet!) but you can control it. Let's hope someday there is a cure

Hang in there and keep posting. We are all there for you!

Barbi
Old 09-24-2001, 01:16 PM   #50  

Hi Everyone:

Seems like forever since I posted here last. I am sooooo happy that September is finally here. I have been doing fine with the management of my blood sugar now that I am back on track and the kids are in school once again.

I started Weight Watchers and have lost 8 - 1/2 pounds in two weeks. I saw my Dietician on Friday and she says I have actually lost 11 1/2 since my last visit to her on July 13th. I am starting to notice a difference and feel so much better now that I am eating healthier and more frequently.

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Disease) and was told I may have a problem with losing weight since insulin resistance is one of the major drawbacks. I am happy to say that so far so good and I will hopefully continue to lose.

My thoughts are with everyone who is struggling and together with all of the support we give and receive on this forum we will hopefully win this battle.

Keep on posting:
Old 09-26-2001, 10:56 AM   #51  

Default Hi - can I join?

Hi,

I have posted a couple of times in forums here, but havent settled into one place. I enjoy learning and sharing with others in the same boat, and hope to share some of my own experiences.

A little about myself: I am 43, very overweight, diabetic (Type II) for the last 6 years. Have alternated losing weight and keeping sugar levels down, and ignoring diabetes and dealing with depression over the last six years. Last July (7.9.01 to be exact) decided to start taking care of myself (actually started last Sept. by starting therapy and dealing with depression/emotional issues first - but that is another story Anyway, since July, I have lost about 45 lbs (hard to know exactly, high weight is on doctors scale, low on WW).

I just joined WW - but more for place to weigh in officially once a week. I do have a good scale at home, but do better if I stay off it. I am very disappointed with new point system at WW (old exchange system was much easier to stay on and stay in healthy food percentages - especially for diabetics - but it seems to work for some). I also find meetings frustrating - I understand food "tips" and recipes help those who cook, but seems kind of strange to spend an hour talking about nothing but food. The 2 leaders I have been to recently also rarely talk about exercize, and when they do, will preface talk with something cutesy, like "tonight we are going to talk about the evil E word..". Evil? Hard maybe, but thank god for exersize - even when I am not doing it, know it would be magic for me.

Anyway, exersize is fun for me and available in my daily schedule - for which I thank god. I know it is hard for some. I walk 50minutes (about 3.2miles) or swim about 2200M almost every day.

I track weight, inches, exersize - time/distance, and now blood sugar levels religiously. I am rather detail oriented (too much for some), but I find that SOMETHING improves every week and that helps keep motivation. Over 4 times losing lots of weight has taught me 2 things: inches seem to come off on weeks weight loss is slowest and walking (fast) takes of inches faster than running.

New for this round of weight loss is the testing BS. Doctor says just do 1 or 2 times a day, but I find doing it before all meals and 2 hours after several meals keeps me motivated - and any planned or unplanned cheating to only 1 meal (versus up to several days if 1nce a week weigh-in is only check).

Sorry this is so long - guess I want to get everything down in one post.

Later.

Laurel
Old 09-27-2001, 03:07 PM   #52  

Yes I learned that also at diabetes classes and have witnessed that behavior in my husband when his sugar is high.I think the Joslin web site is laid out well and you can get great info if you don't have time for classes.I am controlling BS with diet and exercise,for now.I have also lost 41lbs.which is a great side benefit.I too think the BS control should be the first order of business.I have always been endlessy curious about many things and had done a lot of reading about the disease when my husband developed it.My son.called last night,he knows me so well,he said "well I bet you were a little bored with it,You knew it all" I replied,"Yes I am an old know-it-all" and we had a good laugh.Actually I have a lot to learn,I never realized it was such an individual thing.The hardest part for me,is timing my meals.For a long while before I was diagnosed,I was eating at odd times only when I felt like it.I was practicing portion control and losing weight.Frequent BS monitoring is helping me stay on track with the carbs(I actually love carb counting,as it so precise)I am still bad in the am when I have no appetite.I have compromised right now with 2 small breakfasts a couple hours apart.I will try to do better.
I know what you mean about meetings,I have my own pet peeves about them.I skipped September alltogether.They are running a special,at least till early October so I will go back soon.I am pretty bad about attendance anyway.Even though I am long past my 10%,I haven't even got my reward for that yet.This is no fault of WW,I attend different meetings,according to my mood,so it is hard for them to keep track of me.I will probably go to a few meetings in a row,at my original center and card and get it all tidied up next month.
The past few weeks have been very trying for all of us.I think the Prez words were very prophetic when he said "This is a struggle for culture"We will all be called on to make changes,and I hope being healthier will help me rise to the challenge.Have a good week.
Old 09-28-2001, 09:35 AM   #53  

Default Sugar Cravings with high BS!

Hi AustiCat,

Meant to put this in my first post - but I did have the real high sugar cravings when my sugar was high. Someone mentioned being real hungry even right after eating a large meal - I remember that feeling. Now I can tell when my sugar is real low (not hypo - havent dealt with that at all yet), because I get really hungry (I mean really, not just the psycological hunger). I think the difference is that for this hunger, a healthy low carb or simple fruit snack satisfies.

Sin Nombre (sp?) - keep up the good work. Thanks for responding. Glad to know I am not the only non-compliant WW member
Old 09-30-2001, 02:29 PM   #54  

Hi Sebago,

I'm like you and Sin Nombre, I have complaints of the new WW plan. Don't get me wrong, it does work for some. I much prefer the Selection plan. I lost 33 lbs on it 6 years ago. I have the info close at hand, but just can't find the motivation. I'm still in "denialbetes", like baboo says! It's getting worse. I'm really beating myself up. I just can't figure out what it's going to take for me to get past it. I get so mad at myself, and all that does it cause me to eat. Sorry for the negativity, I know this is a great group with successful people, and I don't want to rain on anyone's parade.

Take care everyone.
Old 09-30-2001, 09:05 PM   #55  
Darts Diva

Hi All - don't know about the rest of you, but since they switched servers I've had trouble getting in and logging on! Thank goodness I have all my screen names and passwords written down - haha!

Things are good for me. Went to the endo last week. My BS is good - always in the 80's and 90's - no problems there. I'm down to 8 units a day on the Humalog - trying very slowly to wean myself off! My BP was bad though, 159/110!!! Yikes!! So now I am on 4 different meds for the BP. The pharmacist at Walgreens called me at home - concerned that I was taking so many - wanted to know if the doctor knew - heck, he was the one who prescribed them - duh!!! I am definitely Type A personality!

Had a great treat this weekend! Janet and hubby came to meet me in Texas and we had fun! We are twins separated at birth! It was fantastic to meet someone I met here on the chat board - she has been a big inspiration and a great help to me. Janet, I am so happy that I met you here and glad that you made the trip to meet me!

I'm craving chocolate again!! It seems to happen when I get stressed and last week at work was stressful! Plus I'm having a weird "friendship" with a guy who I'm not sure is playing with a full deck! we are just friends, but he has strange ideas about friendship and is very immature, but aren't most men?

Well, hope everyone has a great week. Keep those BS down!

Barbi
Old 10-03-2001, 05:52 PM   #56  

Barbi,

Thank you for the kind words! We had a great time too.

My blood sugar is leveling out again. I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts. The way it has been swinging the last few months I'm afraid to hope that it will last. I'm back to 1 shot a day this week too.

I've got the muchies today and have been fighting the urge to eat, since I had my saltines and low fat peanut butter earlier. I'm trying to keep in the lower end of my point range, so I cooked a 1 pound bag of broccoli and cauliflower and ate almost the whole bag! But....it's 0 points. I didn't eat it all at one time, but divided it in half and ate a bowl an hour apart. It helped.
Closed Thread