Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2001, 04:56 PM   #31  

Default Info on FM - diet and supplements.

FIBROMYALGIA SYNDROME

This is taken from a book called PRESCRIPTION FOR NUTRITIONAL HEALING. We seem to have a lot a newly diagnosed people on Clouds and I thought this might be of some interest to you - just so you have an idea of where to begin. Sorry for any typos.

Fibromyalgia is a rheumatic disorder characterized by chronic achy muscular pain that has no obvious physical cause. It most commonly affects the lower back, the neck, the shoulders, the back of the head, the upper chest, and/or the thighs, although any area or areas of the body may be involved. The pain is usually described as burning, throbbing, shooting, and stabbing. The pain and stiffness is often greater in the morning than at other times of day, and it may be accompanied by chronic headaches, strange sensations in the skin, insomnia, irritable bowel syndrome and temporomandibular joints syndrome (TMJ). Other symptoms often experienced by people with FM include premenstrual syndrome, painful periods, anxiety, palpitations, memory impairment, irritable bladder, skin sensitivities dry eyes and mouth, a need for frequent changes in eyeglass prescription, dizziness, and impaired coordination. Such activities as lifting and climbing stairs are often very difficult and painful. Depression is frequently part of the picture as well. The most distinctive feature of FM, however, is the existence of certain “tender points” - nine pairs of specific spots where the muscles are abnormally tender to the touch.

Most people with FM also have an associated sleep disorder known as alpha-EEG anomaly. In this disorder, the individual’s deep sleep periods are interrupted by bouts of waking-type brain activity, resulting in poor sleep. Some people with FM are plagued by other sleep disorders as well, such as sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome, bruxism and sleep myoclonus (a sudden rapid contraction of a muscle or a group of muscles during sleep or as one is falling asleep). Not surprisingly, given all these sleep difficulties, people with FM often suffer from chronic fatigue that can range from mild to incapacitating.

This disorder is much more common in females than in males, and most often begins in young adulthood. In most cases, symptoms come on gradually and slowly increase in intensity. They can be triggered (or made worse) by a number of different factors, including overexertion, stress, lack of exercise, anxiety, depression, lack of sleep, trauma, extremes of temperatures and/or humidity, and infectious illness. In the majority of cases, symptoms are severe enough to interfere with normal daily activities; a significant number of people with FM are actually disabled by the condition. The course of the disorder is unpredictable. Some cases clear up on their own, some become chronic, and some go through cycles of flare-ups alternating with periods of apparent remission.

The cause or causes of FM are not known. Some evidence points to a problem with the immune system; certain immunologic abnormalities are common among people with FM. Their significance and relationship to the syndrome are not understood, however. A disturbance in brain chemistry may also be involved; many people who develop FM have a history of clinical depression. Other possible causes that have been proposed include infection with the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), the virus that causes infectious mononucleosis, or with the fungus Candida Albicans; chronic mercury poisoning from amalgam dental fillings; anemia; parasites; hypoglycemia; and hypothyroidism. Some experts believe the FM may be related to CFS, which causes similar symptoms, except that in FM, muscle pain predominates over fatigue, whereas in CFS, fatigue predominates over pain.

Because malabsorption problems are common in people with this disorder, higher than normal doses of all supplemental nutrients are needed. Wherever possible, it is best to use sublingual vitamins and other supplements because they are more easily absorbed than tablets or capsules.

Nutrients that are essential:

Coenzyme Q10 75mg daily Improves oxygenation of tissues, enhances the effetivness
of the immune system, and protects the heart.

Acidophilus As directed Candida infection is common in people with FM.
On label Acidophilus replaces “friendly” bacteria destroyed by
Candida. Use a nondairy formula.

Lecithin As directed Promotes energy ,enhances immunity, aids in brain
On label with Function, and improves circulation.
Meals

Malic acid As directed Involved in energy production in many cells of the body,
On label Including the muscles cells. Needed for sugar metabolism.

Proteolytic As directed Reduces inflammation and improves absorption of foods,
enzymes 6 times daily Especially protein, which is needed for tissue repair.
With meals,
Between meals
At bedtime

Manganese 5 mg daily. Influences the metabolic rate by its involvement in the
Separate from Pituitary-hypothalamic-thyroid axis.
Calcium

Vitamin A 25,000IU daily Powerful free radical scavengers that protect the body’s
1 month, then cells and enhance immune function. Use emulsion forms
Reduce to For easier assimilation.
10,000IU daily.
Vitamin E 800 IU daily for
1 month, then
Slowly reduce
To 400IU daily.

Or

ACES + zinc As directed on Contain vitamins A,C,E plus minerals selenium and zinc,
label To protect immune function.

Vitamin C 5000-10,000 mg Has a powerful antiviral effect and increases the body’s
Daily Energy level. Use a buffered form.

Recommendations:

Eat a well-balanced diet of 50% raw foods and fresh “live juices” The diet should consist mostly of vegetables, fruits, whole grains(primarily millet and brown rice) , raw nuts and seeds, skinless turkey or chicken, and deepwater fish. These quality foods supply nutrients that renew energy and build immunity.

Eat four to five small meals daily to keep a steady supply of protein and carbs available for proper muscles function. If the body does not have enough fuel for energy, it will rob the muscles of essential nutrients, causing muscles wasting and pain.

Drink Plenty of liquids to help flush out toxins.

Do not eat meat, dairy products, or any other foods that are high in saturated fats. Saturated fats raise cholesterol levels and interfere with circulation. They also promote the inflammatory response and increase pain. Also avoid fried foods, processed foods, shellfish and white flour products such as bread and pasta.

Do not consume any caffeine, alcohol, or sugar. Eating sugar in any form - including fructose and honey, promotes fatigue, increases pain, and disturbs sleep. If these substances have been a regular part of your diet, your symptoms may actually get worse for a short period as a result of the “withdrawal” effect, but after that, you should experience a noticeable improvement in your condition.

Maintain a regular program of moderate exercise. A daily walk followed by some gentle stretching exercises is good. If you have been sedentary before, start slowly and be careful not to overexert yourself; this can aggravate symptoms. Keep in mind that what you need is some amount of daily exercise, NOT a strenuous workout two or three times a week. Once your body is accustomed to regular exercise, symptoms are likely to improve.

Be sure to give your body sufficient rest. Set aside at LEAST 8 hours for sleep each night.

Take a hot shower or bath upon rising to stimulate circulation and help relieve morning stiffness. Or alternate between hot water and cold water while showering. Recent studies have shown cold showers to be beneficial for relieving the pain of FM.

Take chlorophyll in tablet form or in “green drinks” such as Kyo-Green. Spiru-tein from Nature’s Plus is a good protein drink to use between meals to aid in maintaining energy levels and to reduce muscle pain.

Considerations:

Chronic pain sufferers, especially those with FM and CFS, tend to be deficient in magnesium.

Recent research points to the possible involvement of chemical and/or food sensitivities in FM, CFS, and the pain associated with these disorders. This would hardly be surprising, as humans have been exposed to more chemicals in the last 50 years than in all the rest of our history combined.

Because malabsorption problems are common in this disorder, all nutrients are needed in greater than normal amounts, and a proper diet is essential. Colon cleansing is recommended to rid the gastointestinal tract of mucus and debris, and so improve nutrient absorption.

Many Doctors prescribe low-dose antidepressants for FM. These drugs can be beneficial in some cases, but can also cause a number of side effects, such as drowsiness. Other medical treatments that may or may not be of help to any given individual include muscle relaxants and /or local anesthetic sprays or injections for relief of pain. The antianxiety drug Lorazepam (Ativan) is sometime prescribed as well. This drug can cause of loss of equilibrium.

Physical therapy, relaxation techniques, exercise therapy, massage therapy, deep heat therapy, and biofeedback are all helpful in some cases. Massage therapy is particularly beneficial for improved muscle function and pain relief. If you are diagnosed with FM, it is wise to seek out a health care provider who has specific experience in the management and treatment of this condition.

HAPPINESS IS NOT IN OUR CIRCUMSTANCES, BUT IN OURSELVES. IT IS NOT SOMETHING WE SEE, LIKE A RAINBOW, OR FEEL, LIKE THE HEAT OF A FIRE. HAPPINESS IS SOMETHING WE ARE. Author unknown
Old 07-31-2001, 01:48 AM   #32  

Default HELLO!!!

I'M STILL HERE!!!!!!!

Boy Joanne...sounds like you are doing everything right! I'm not that dedicated but I'm trying really hard to be better! I lost 2 more pounds last week...that makes 7 now. Just 43 more to go!

Mima...now you will have to go home and rest from your vacation. At least you had a break from everyday life and had some fun.

Tootie...I have missed you so!

Anne...that was a lot of info! Thanks...interesting reading. If you have a cable modem you don't have an icon telling you what speed you are running at...if your computer has a 56K modem that IS the speed you are running.

Candice...the bytes received is the "speed" your phone modem is running. When I was on a phone line mine only ran at around 28000 on good days and only 14000 on others. That's why I went to a cable modem...the phone wires here are nickle and nickle won't carry connections very fast. Your computer has a 56K modem, meaning it can receive 56000 bytes, which is super fast but if the phone co. is only SENDING you 28K then your internet connection is so slow that it takes forever to pull up a page and especially if the page has graphics on it. Most phone companies can't send over 32000 bytes. Won't bore you all with any more 'puter jargon!!!

Speaking of jargon...I'm taking a design course and it is getting hairy! I just took my second test...got the results back yesterday...only missed one out of 33 problems. I had to acutally build a web page for one of the problems with a bunch of specific stuff on it that they wanted. It took me forever! The one I missed...I type the word "center" instead of "left" in one place and they marked the whole problem wrong! Today I learned how to make a transparent gif. If you don't already know, that is when you take the background away from a picture (clipart). It has to be a solid color background or it won't work (unless you have a steady hand and can actually "cut out" the part you want to use!) You have all seen those neat little pictures on the web...some have background colors and some don't...well I learned how to get rid of the background colors. The next lesson teaches how to make "animated" gifs...I can't wait to learn how to make pictures move!!!

It has been raining here a lot, too but is supposed to be dry and HOT the rest of the week. Anne...I'd LOVE to send you some "summer"...It is supposed to be in the mid 90s here the next 5 days!

There is some weird program on TV where some "hands" are growing in a bed of "ice"! YUCK! Oh gross...now there is a man laying in bed covered with huge polyps that are "pulsing"! Gotta turn this thing off...it's making me sick!!!
Old 07-31-2001, 02:21 AM   #33  

Here's an example of what I learned today...this is the flower with a background.
Old 07-31-2001, 02:29 AM   #34  

Here's the flower with no background!
When I learn how to make an animated gif I'll show you an example of my work there, too!!!
Old 07-31-2001, 08:13 AM   #35  

Default Hello from FL. last day

Hi there-Meme-you are unbelievable. think I am ok with coputers but I sure can't dothat stuff. I need to begin my geneology firts but it's great to do something new-prevents Alzeimers.That's why I play freecell all the time. HAHA.Last day-we have had a good time-back to reality and DIeting tomorrow.Sorry about the rain, Anne-it's moving back in here but I won't be here. Yesterday my son's house finally went through so I may actually know where to rent for the winter. I may stay for 3 months if I can figure out the money.If I sub 2 days a week-I could save .We'll see.I saw something on the Today show about eating-The guy that wrote Eat Drink and be Merry or something like that. He talked about good oils-complex carbs-no red meat and exercise. I agree that exercise through the pain is ok. I always feel mentally better but I have to know my limitations.I don't think water aerobics is good for me but swimming is.Walking but not fast-Tai Chi but not Yoga.But I can't walk today cuz it's too hot here.Maybe I'll walk at the airport.Kids are going to see N/Sync tonight but Jessic and I are going home. I will write from cool MA. tomorrow. Mima
Old 07-31-2001, 08:34 AM   #36  

Talking New Member!

Good Morning All!
This is a great forum.. i have NEVER seen one before - i was overjoyed!

I am a 30 year who has had Fibro since i was 13 -- i was diagnosed when i was 23 after many years of "there is nothing wrong with you" dr's visits. My mother and Mother-in-law both have Fibro also.

I live in Whitby Ontario..Canada.. a small town about 20 min (w/o traffic ) east of toronto.

While i was a petit child - and teenager (5.1", and 110 lbs max)..I have been overweight for about 10 years. Seems to have started from a short term stress issue at about 17.. (i had no appetite- so barely ate anything but lunch for about a year)... the issue dissappeared on its own.. but even though i am not a big eater i continue to gain.

The pain of fibro keeps me from exercising.... What i would like to do is lose about 40-50 lbs b4 i begin an exercise routine.. to keep that pain down.. - I am an unfortunate 230 now - which on my 5.1" frame - and small boned - is not very appealing.

I do walk about 1/2 hour a day (back and forth to my train to work) minimum.

I am an extremely picky eater... due to side issues with Fibro, i am not allowed to have any high fibre foods.. or vegetables - except the occasional salad. I am also borderline diabetic.. (occasional High sugars, with relatives who have type 2 already.. and a mother who was gestestional diabetic while carrying me..) I dont take any medication (i would rather not) except the occasional tylenol type.

Does any one have any ideas on how i can lose some weight to become more healthy? (I really would like to stop shopping at cotton ginny plus and penningtons)

I am interested in a lifetime change - not a diet.. (i prefer not to yoyo - my metobolism is messed up enough.. )

Thanks very much!

Hope your days are all great!
Old 07-31-2001, 10:32 AM   #37  

Default Hey There

Memetoo- You are so computer smart! I can barely find my way around this thing. My son and daughter are very smart kids ,but they are very busy and have no time to help me much. They have very busy lives. I usually can find what I want to ,it just takes me a while.
Ally,Happy Canuk- I went into nursing when I got out of high school and was wondering what I was going to do with my life. I wanted to get away from home and the unhappiness I had. I was given the chance by one of my teachers to move into the nurses residence while I was in school and I snapped it up. I never looked back . Nursing is a really hard field. It takes a lot out of a person. I worked my last 15 years in a nursing home. I was pretty burned out when I had to go for knee replacement and the Dr. and my kids said "your working days are over". I have enjoyed every minute of my retirement although I think I am more active now than I was when I worked.I have been really trying to get myself healthy ever since.
Mima- Hope you had a safe trip home.
Hey Candice...I love your pictures and flowers. I wish I had my yard in as good a shape. I am working on it.
Ciara- Get yourself into a really good program like Weight Watchers and comment yourself to taking care of yourself.It is not a easy task but it can be done. You are young . You need a healthy eating and exercise program. The major exercise I am able to do is walking. I started out with a half mile and weekly added to that distance till I am now able to walk 4+ miles with ease. I am more than twice your age.You can do it. You will find that a lot of your health problems will fade into the back of your mind ,when you begin to think in a positive way about yourself. By the way.. WELCOME. We are a pretty good group and these ladies will not coddle you ,but will help you and be a good computer friend to you. At least that is what I have found.
Bye Guys...Got to get my breakfast dishes washed... It is getting late morning. I have a hair appointment and then I am going to color my hair a different color of blond. Do you think I will have more fun?? Joanne
Old 07-31-2001, 01:39 PM   #38  

Default Welcome Ciara!

Just wanted to share my very first animation with you all!!!
Old 07-31-2001, 03:15 PM   #39  

Default Hi

Hello Ciara, fellow Canadian. I live in Alberta. Not particularly a nice way to meet, but nevertheless, if not for FM, I would not have met these great people - I enjoy each and every one of them. I hope you stay around and join us. We are talking about diets once in awhile by the way.

Meme - great work. There is no stopping you. You just keep going and going and going - just like the energizer bunny Glad to see you advancing so rapidly. I am sure that you will enjoy this. Some of my ladies from Clouds have gotten into animations and are really having fun with it. One day I might try it. Who knows! What program do you use?

Mima - to bad holidays are almost over, but it sounds like you have been having a wonderful time. That is the important thing. Back to the grind (diet, exercise) next week.

Joanne - Hope you are keeping well and I presume you are back on track and doing well again. I will be now that I am off all meds. (except estrogen which causes one to gain weight).

Candice and Ally have a nice weekend.

Tootie - hope you are feeling a WHOLE lot better now. Have a good weekend.

Anne
Old 07-31-2001, 06:03 PM   #40  

Angry Thanks

Thanks for the welcome all!...

In regards to Weight Watchers... my mother tried that once - did not work for her (and we have the same body.. )... Unfortunately, i dont have the funds for that sort of thing.

The walking is a good idea.. i had managed up to an hour a day about 2 years ago - i did for almost a year - with NO lost wieght.. very discouraging.. Unfortunately, my knees are toasted from an injury in high school... and time is a big issue to...i really only have about a half hour a day that is not taken by work or travel to work..

Any other ideas?

Umm..Ms Canuk - isn't this a dieting website? Maybe i misunderstood the forum... Should i be posting elsewhere for this advice?

Thanks
Old 07-31-2001, 06:35 PM   #41  

Ciara, of course this is the right place to obtain the info. you need. We just have gotten into talking about other things as well, as you will see.

Now, if WW doesn't work for you, there are the 40-30-30 diets. That is 40 percent carbs, 30 percent protein and 30 percent fat. The Zone is one of these and The Formula is the other. I was on the Formula and have great success and then life intervened and threw me off - I am trying desparatley to get back on it.

Anne
Old 08-01-2001, 01:33 AM   #42  

Another creation...sorry I left out Ciara...
Old 08-01-2001, 09:00 AM   #43  

Default Hey There

Golly Memetoo ,you are really getting into this course. Thanks for the hello . My son does things like this ,he designs banks and homes and then makes a computer video to show his clients. I was amazed the first time he showed one to me.
Happy Canuk- I am trying to stay on track. I haven't cheated this week. Tomorrow will tell the story. If I have lost anything my scales are not showing it. WW scales are always 1-2 lbs higher than mine.
Hello Candicej and Mime..
Ciara- You can get a lot of good information at your local library. At one time you could get a WW cookbook with the diets in them . I bet that most of the other books on good eating and weight control would have the diet plans in them. You just need to find the one that will work for you. Or you could make up your own. Cut your food intake to half,Limit your starches and protiens, eat more veggies and fruit. I'm no expert,it took me almost 30 years to get my act together and lose some wt. I still struggle every day with it. This is a lifetime thing. There is no quick fix. We all wish that would be the solution.
Hi Tootie.. How are you?
You all have a great day.. Looks like we may have some rain today...I will have to walk on the beast. I do enjoy walking outside to the beach.. The water is very calming....Joanne
Old 08-01-2001, 09:32 AM   #44  

Hi. Here is something for you to read this morning. I really liked this and thought I would share it with you.

http://www.dobhran.com/greetings/GRinspire407.htm

Enjoy

Anne
Old 08-01-2001, 10:14 AM   #45  

Default I'm home!!

Hi everyone-got home at 2 am. because the plane was 2 hours late but they did give me a free glass of wine. I've only had oatmeal and 2 cups of coffee today and I'm not getting on the scale. Welcome Ciara!!!This is a great message board and we talk about everything-fibro-diets-what's good for your body-stress levels!!!Myself, I love Weight Watchers. It costs me !0$ a week-probably save that in food. Sometimes we have to make it a priority. In the US there are some insurances that pay for it but not mine.Definitely low fat helps -eliminate the bad fats. I'm sur you will find something. We all are doing something different.We had fun at the airport-played Millionaire on my laptop-walked-got Ben and Jerry's ice cream-I've already had one nap today. Meme-I'm so impressed with your computer skills!!!!The weather here is perfect today-no humidity.My grandaughter went to see N'Sync last night in Tampa. I can't wait to hear from her. The other will probably sleep past noon. It's good to be home-I hear it's going to rain in FL. and my son has to get ready to move. Shucks-I'll have to miss that. Be good everyone!!!Mima
Closed Thread