Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 03-04-2006, 01:57 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8

Default Hypothyroidism and Soy

I just found out on Thursday that the soy in my diet may be affecting my Synthroid- has anyone else had this problem?

I have been doing NutriSystem now for two months and LOVING it. I have lost 29 pounds. The problem is that I feel terrible. Ever since starting the diet, I have felt like I was on a downhill slope, feeling a little worse each day. I had some lab work done, and am still waiting for the results, but my Dr. said most likely it's the amount of soy in my diet, and that I will need to eliminate the soy.
Rizeninme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 02:27 PM   #2  

Yes, Rizeninme...It's true about soy. My husband and I are both on a thyroid replacement and he happened to read the pharmacy printout a while back and noticed that soy can subdue the effects of the med. It seemed to indicate, though, that the soy could be consumed if it wasn't near the time that the med was taken. I usually go to the restroom during the night, so I have my pill sitting right there and take it then.

I'd be curious as to what your MD or pharmacist says about doing that because one of my favorite breakfasts is a soymilk smoothie....So please PM me, Maggie2005, if you find out anymore info.

Thanks much!
maggie2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 02:40 PM   #3  
Meg

I've always avoid soy products for that reason. It's a shame that you've done so well on N/S but the plan is so high in soy. Can the program be adapted to eliminate the soy - do they offer alternatives?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:50 PM   #4  

Height: 5'8

I guess some soy is fine, but too much is bad, and my Dr. (Endocrinologist) said that it doesn't affect everyone the same- some people can tolerate more soy than others. She thinks I am very sensitive to soy which is why she thinks I should avoid it altogether for now.

Unfortunately, most of the NS products have soy protein in them- especially all my favorites. So, I will probably stick to the same type of eating plan, but replace the NS meals with tv dinners- Lean Cuisine and South Beach have some really good tasting meals. It is just disappointing because I have had good results with the NS plan, and I loved the convenience. But, I guess that's the way it goes sometimes.

I just don't know how I didn't know about soy affecting your thyroid in the first place!
Rizeninme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:13 AM   #5  
Meg

- I'll bet you can come up with your own plan that looks a lot like what's been working so well for you. Best of luck to you!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote