Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 10:51 AM   #121  
Mommy of Skye and Sam!

S/C/G: 203/188.5/160

Height: 6'0"

Creative~I know that when I was in college, I would start doubling up on my insulin a few days before exams started, because of the stress. I would end up having a few days of 300+ then they would go back down.... All I can say is make sure you are eating whole grains, lots of omega 3-6-9 (brain power!)s. If BG is WNL, and no ketones, get some excercise in too! I would run the treadmill into the ground during exams!

You can do this!!!!

...I'm having struggles of my own. Since starting the probiotics, and taking fiber/herbal laxative, I have put on another **5** pounds. I'm now at only a 12 pound loss since last July! I'm hoping that it is mostly the fiber bulking up my number 2's, but I feel fatter and bloated. My wonderful size 12s I bought in November hardly zip. I have been excercising, drinking water, and following my plan religiously.

oh well. I'll finish the cleanse and hopefully by next weekend, I'll be back to normal. Tomorrow we are driving to Boise for my brother in law's 30th birthday....

JZ
Old 03-22-2006, 01:23 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 165/205/120 PREGNANT!

meowee ~ I never thought about that, thanks. I have cut my carbs drastically and leave it to my body to do the opposite of what it should be! hehe
creative ~ sometimes it seems like college is the worst thing for a diet! at a time when you are learning about health, it is the hardest to be healthy. grrr
I agree with Josian that you should try and get more excercise in...try walking with a buddy while going over flash cards before a test...or maybe 20 mins of yoga before bedtime or in the morning to help relax.
Josian ~ being a woman is just frustrating sometimes...our bodies just LOVE retaining anything it can wrap itself around. I bet you will get back to normal after the cleanse =) I always wonder too if it is possible to oversaturate ourselves with water? Sometimes after going days and days drinking LOTS of water I have to cut my intake in half for a day or so (especially during the winter or times where I am not sweating or flushing out the water as much). Just a thought.

s.

Old 03-22-2006, 02:13 PM   #123  

Morning everyone..its sunny and cold here.. the hairy frogs are hybernating under electric blankets..i have been staying quiet.. cut out strips for anew quilt yesterday..sl have been hovering around 110.. so they are coming down..i agree with all the good advice given.. stress can cause sl to go out of sight..msfez Happy Birthday to you.. hope you are having a fun day..there was alot of ice cream and cake left over from our big b-day bash.. and i was soooo tempted to eat it but since both the hubby and i are trying for a wgt loss i threw it all away and dumped coffee grounds on top of it all..2 big containers of ice cream and 3/4 of a sheet cake.. what a waste but better than on my waist..we went to the store and stocked up on fresh vegies and fruit for snacking.. he wants to loose and its sure easier when he goes along with the program.. will check in later (((((((((hugs))))))) rosey
Old 03-22-2006, 03:10 PM   #124  

Cool

Rosey - good for you, getting rid of all the temptations. I've done that a few times before and never regretted it. Glad your hubby is joining you on your program. It will make it so much easier to stay on track.
Anyother - I'm Type 2 and have never had bsls above 300 so I don't know what you can do. Does your college have a health center? Student Health Centers often have stress management counseling that might be helpful. But definitely see a doctor if you can't get those numbers down.
Meowee - That's scary that your bsl goes down low in the middle of the night. I don't think mine does. I'll try to test it when I wake up (which is usually between 2:30 and 5), that is, if I'm not too groggy. Good luck on your lab tests.
JZ - you're probably retaining a lot of water so just hang in there and it will go away.
I go in for my official weighin and maintenance class tonight. Hope I at least weigh the same as I did last week.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:00 PM   #125  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I'm sooo sorry, anyothername but you are way over my level of experience. It sounds like you're on the right track thinking it is probably stress related, since you've already proven that the insulin is good, but I'm afraid my only advise is to go to the hospital now, not later. Keep us posted, we are concerned for you.

Afraid I have no other suggestions for you, either, Josian, just my best wishes that it will soon settle down and you'll lose the weight again.

I've wondered about too much water sometimes, too, Susan. I honestly think you have to be drinking it by the gallons before it can get dangerous (along the lines of medieval water torture) but I do think it is wise to mix things up with calories and exercise levels once in a while. . . so why wouldn't the same be true for water?

Good luck with your weigh-in, Rosetta . . . I've got my fingers crossed for you.

I'm really impressed with your resolve, Rosey. I have succeeded in throwing food away a few times (I've used the coffee-grounds system, too), but it is always so hard to do. My Mother trained me well. Congratulations, that qualifies as a NSV of the highest degree in my book.

Have a great evening everybody.

Last edited by meowee; 03-22-2006 at 04:28 PM. Reason: I keep missing people . . .
Old 03-22-2006, 08:59 PM   #126  
Mommy of Skye and Sam!

DF hates wasting food, so it's really difficult sometimes to get rid of the bad stuff in the house. Just this weekend actually, I bagged up a bunch of refined pasta and bad tomato sauce (has sugar, corn starch, etc) and I told DF that it will either be a care package for his brother or it goes in the trash. I'm not keeping that kind of crap around the house anymore!

I had a revelation today. My weight loss did not stall until I switched birth control pills a couple of months ago... I'm wondering if this has something to do with the weight gain. I talked to the nurse practioner today, who told me that the pills I was on before had a mild diuretic in them. Ah ha! I will find out more next Friday when I go in for my 3 month pap.

Hugs to all. I'm feeling a bit better since I talked to her. Hopefully I can get this all sorted out and get back on the road to weight loss again!!
Old 03-22-2006, 11:08 PM   #127  
stbakd

my bs are normal today. iate sort of on program at breakfast and lunch. i ate at mom and dad's and we had fish with peas.
anyothername i hope you went to the hospital. a friend went into a diebetic coma and almost died because bs were to high. glen
Old 03-23-2006, 09:50 AM   #128  
Mommy of Skye and Sam!

Ooops... saw the kitty cat and assumed the post was from Creative... Hope you figured out it was you anyothername!

Feeling better this morning. Not trying to beat myself up so much over something that I have no control over... However, I have 7 months to squeeze into my wedding dress, and need to get started now!

Hope everyone is doing well... Sending out vibes for a weekend of healthy eating, despite the beer and food and whatever else is around....

Hugs,
Old 03-23-2006, 12:43 PM   #129  
creations

My bs was 124 at the drs this morning. Weight and blood pressure were up.
told him about a callus on my big toe. He looked and cut it and said it was infected. So I'm on antibiotics for the next ten days and then I go back to see him. Told me to stay off my feet as much as possible. Just want I needed . Will babysit for 14 month old granddaughter on Saturday and on Sunday they are coming here for daughterinlaws birthday dinner.

Told my husband he'll have to clean. Can do most of dinnner prep sitting down.
Judy S
Old 03-23-2006, 02:00 PM   #130  

Morning everyone..its sunny out today and melting maybe spring is around a distant corner..i tried to post several times yesterday and kept loosing them so gave up..my sl have come back to what is normal for me.. must mean im all rested up..meowee.. whats an NSV mean?? im not too puter savy..ill take the compliment tho.. thanks..i put yuckystuff on food i throw away for a reason.. as in the past i threw out some chocolate cookies still in the bag and there they sat haunting me until i couldnt stand it and needed a chocolate fix and you guessed it i took them back out and ate them.. yup you heard right i did do that anyways now i throw yuck on the food so i wont be tempted some people will do anything thats not illleagal or immoral for chocolate..i have finnished sewing the quilt top and am now hand quilting it.. its ababy quilt so should go fast and its fun using my new machine..creations.. am sorry for your foot.. bet its sore.. i had a sore foot during the hoilidays and but a real crimp in my activities..so can relate.. keep off it as much as you can it will heal faster..josian.. can you change your bc pills again..tape a picture of a bride dress to your fridge as a reminder of your goal.. good luck you can do it..rosetta how did the weigh in go.. good i hope.. mr ken glad your sl are down wtg..if i miss addressing anyone i apologize..they are alot of us here and im absent minded at times..but want to encourage everyone who posts here.. its great to be in this group thanks everyone((((((((hugs)))))))) rosey
Old 03-23-2006, 02:53 PM   #131  
Onward and Downward

Hello, gang . . . Another dull and cold (for this time of year) day here on the Atlantic coast of Canada and we got some more snow. I think it was warmer in January.

Josian . . . A change of pills could do it. Hope you can get them changed again and I'm glad you're feeling better. Sometimes knowing is half the battle.

Glen . . . Congratulations on that good BS reading. Mine are still running a little too low in the mornings -- 3.4 (61) today. I'm glad to see that our little 'girl-talk' over the last couple of days hasn't scared you off completely.

Creations . . . sounds like your dear hubby will be busy . . . you take care of the foot and try not to fret too much.

Rosey . . . Yep, I've 'garbage-picked' for chocolate in my time. NSV = Non Scale Victory and they can be just as important as the SV (Scale Victory) kind. Have fun quilting. I love machine-quilting; especially since my eyes don't like trying to hand-quilt anymore (not to mention my fingers -- they never liked it).

Have a great day, everybody. Keep doing all the right stuff.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:28 PM   #132  

Good lord I need some serious help here... My body has gone into some sort of food craving mode. I'm seriously feeling like a druggy with the munchies and whats worse is I gave into it. But I'm literally climbing the wall, pacing around just looking for an excuse to eat something! Did I do something to trigger this???!!!!! it needs to stop before I undo all that I have lost in the last couple of months
Any ideas?
-Dianne xx
Old 03-24-2006, 12:36 AM   #133  

S/C/G: 165/205/120 PREGNANT!

Dianne~ I get that way a lot Some days I have to force feed myself and other days I am searching every nook and cranny for foods to pack into my calorie restrictions...How's your sugar? Maybe you are lacking a particular vitamin or something I dunno I am not much help How about if I give you a hug and tell you to just fight the craving off? hehe

Man oh man...I finally got my sugar below 120 for the first time in forever...I went running and felt so wierd when I was done...my sugar had dropped to 109. It's sad that my body is SO used to having sky high BSL that moderate above normal feels TERRIBLE! I am heading to San Francisco tomorrow for four days...good thing the girl I am going with is an avid 3FC member too, but man, wish us LUCK in eating well and staying on the go! In case I don't post again until next week, may everbody have a WONDERFUL weekend!

s.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:20 AM   #134  
Onward and Downward

Hey . . . the sun is out . . . and that always makes me feel better . . . although I've twisted a muscle in the back of my right knee or something . . . it is really sore and there seems to be a little hard lump back there.

I skipped my bedtime insulin last night because I had to get blood work done this morning and I'm so low most mornings I knew I'd never get to the lab and back without going well below 3 (50'ish). So I was 6.8 (122) this morning before I went out. Didn't check my BS when I got home again but I was beginning to feel a little 'jittery'. Some things you just don't want to know. So I just had my breakfast and came upstairs to check in on 3FC.

Dianne . . . When I get like that I try to stay as far away from the kitchen as possible and I drink water, water, water until I slosh when I walk. Helps me keep the gorge- at bay (most of the time, anyway).

Susan . . . That is very likely. Our systems get used to maintaining the 'status-quo' even when it isn't particularly good for us. Rest assured that after a few days of keeping it lower than 120, you'll discover that you feel much better because your body will have accepted a new 'status-quo'.

Have a good day, gang. I'll be back later.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:53 PM   #135  

So you get it to? I'm not just some strange freak!?! lol Well I feel better, it's been going on for a couple of days and I have been incredibly weak willed about it to. I'll try the water approach and see how it goes.

Actually I have no clue how my BS has been the last week I just didn't have enough to buy my own and hubby's test strips after bills and rent went out, I'll get some this week once the pay check is in.

On an up-note I managed to get my Batchelors in Theology finally and my approval for Ordination came through, I am now officially a Reverend! Now to undertake both my Masters in Theology and Divinity, that should consume a good few more years of my life LOL, I may actually accomplish it before I hit retirement /grin

I started my day being good with my 2 usual slices of Double Fiber, No-Sugar-Added healthline dry toast, I'm full of good intentions so far, bottles of water on the stand by, and swallowed a couple of multi-vitamin tabs with added Omega3! wish me luck!

Keep up the good work all *huggles*

-Dianne xx
Closed Thread