Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 03:02 PM   #91  
Mommy of Skye and Sam!

S/C/G: 203/188.5/160

Height: 6'0"

Happy weekend all!

I soooo slept in today! Felt good though!

We had some corned beef and swiss on homemade rye last night for dinner. I had a 1/2 glass of Guiness, not too bad. Then... well, we shared a pint of Haagen-daz vanilla. There was a reason why we only got a pint! But it was a planned cheat, so I don't feel bad about...

Has anyone had any problems with Candida?? I've been doing some research on it...

Anyway, off to do my cleaning today.

Take care!
Old 03-18-2006, 04:28 PM   #92  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi gang, it's just me again.

Been wandering around the WWW today and found two sites that just might interest some of you.

The first one (for all you lucky US citizens) is http://www17.netrition.com. Lots and lots of lowcarb products.

The other one is for we poor, deprived Canadians. http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com Only a fraction of the products and twice the cost (almost), but we're used to that aren't we? If you order from a US site, you pay almost twice as much be the time you factor in the exchange rate plus all the stuff Canada Customs hits you with (federal tax, provincial tax, import duties, special fees).

The main thing that caught my eye was something called 'Carbquick'. A low carb version of Bisquick that I first heard about on DLIFE.

Talk to you later.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:33 PM   #93  
Onward and Downward

Sure have, Josian. Probably a problem for most female diabetics. I'm particularly plagued by the external version (likes warm, moist, skinfolds). I don't know but males might get this kind too. What have you been finding out?

By the way, great planning for your St.Paddy's evening.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:14 PM   #94  
Mommy of Skye and Sam!

Hi Moewee...

Mine is definitely internal. I have had only a handful of yeast infections in my life... When I went in for my yearly in December, they found some prolific not-so-good bacteria and took care of it.
I just haven't felt very good since I went on a sugar binge in February, and at the same time got an infection in my left big toe and was on antibiotics for three weeks. I think it really screwed up my system. I would love to go to a naturopath, but can't afford it, so I'm taking some probiotics and eating Kefir to help flush out the bad and coax the good. My weight loss has stalled (in fact, I've put on a few since the antibiotic episode), but I haven't been doing anything different, except excercising a bit. My measurements haven't changed either, so I know it's not muscle!
The symptoms I have are pretty common: low energy, stalled weight loss, white filmy tongue, dry itchy skin and scalp, bloating and poor BMs. I figure that the probiotics couldn't hurt me, even if candida isn't the problem. My fiance is skeptical, but then, he's skeptical about everything.

I'll let everyone know on my progress.

Last edited by Josian; 03-18-2006 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:30 PM   #95  
Onward and Downward

Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Antibiotics really do a terrible job on the good 'bugs' and therefore allow the bad ones to get a systemic foothold that can take quite a while to beat down again. This too will pass. Hang in there, kid.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:46 AM   #96  
Coop class of '82

Regarding yeast, I got a bad case over a year ago (the first and only I've had) and had no insurance so I went searching for something over the counter I could use. I came across AZO Yeast tablets, available at grocers and Walgreens and it SAVED me! It's $8 for 3 months worth. Look for it in the tampon etc. section.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:58 AM   #97  
stbakd

my bs was 5.6 this morning i'm starting an accounting corce on the 27th. glen
Old 03-19-2006, 10:02 AM   #98  
Inchworm

Smile 125 today

Thanks meowee and akroseyfor the encouragement. It could be the frustration of this boot that is keeping my bs higher. I think I will feel even more confident when the stitches are removed tomorrow. then the next milestone will be taking the wire out of my 'beaudacious' slender toe in 2 more weeks.
There is no pain, just inconvenience, and exhaustion by the end of a day when I don't take a break to elevate it.
I must get ready for church..more later
Wishing a great day for all of you!
Old 03-19-2006, 11:08 AM   #99  
Onward and Downward

Thanks for the input, Kim.

Way to go, Glen. Great BS reading.

I think you'll be fine again once you are rid of the boot , stitches and wires, Lillie.

ave a good day, gang. See you later.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:35 PM   #100  
Mommy of Skye and Sam!

Hi all!

I can't believe it's Sunday.. back to work tomorrow!

I'm feeling a little better today. The metal monster dropped a few from last week, so I'm hopeful that the probiotics are working. My ears are itching-another sign of healing, so I've read. I'm not nearly as gassy, either (my fiance's nose thanks me!)

I've modified my diet a bit as well. I've cut way back on dairy, and only having the Kefir and small amounts of cheese. I'm cutting out wheat (whole)the best I can, and have replaced it with rye, kamut, spelt, amarath, quinoa. We'll see if this helps. (had some spicy shrimp and tomato sauce over some kamut spaghetti last night, yummy!)

Well dears, thanks for the input, and I'll talk with ya'll tomorrow!

Hugs,
Old 03-19-2006, 06:23 PM   #101  

Hi everyone.. they are all gone now and my house is quiet.. we had such a good time..and accomplished alot..i won 300$ at bingo and split it with my girls.. young famlies are always struggling..the big b-day party was fun and hectic.. we had a snow storm that day but didnt stop us.. liitle kids every where.. my sl was 131 this am.. a bit high for me but i did have cake and ice cream yesterday..its nice to sit back and relax abit.. when i get my wind back i know i will miss them like crazy..wtg to all the loosers and low sl..i will check in tomorrow..i think i need a nap.. my hubby allready snoring away(((((((((hugs))))))))) rosey
Old 03-19-2006, 10:01 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 165/205/120 PREGNANT!

Question newbie with diabetes

I have tried to look for articles or information regarding how many carbs I should be taking in each day, but have found nothing. I have type 2 diabetes. Any recommendations for info? Thank you =) I am new here by the way...

Old 03-20-2006, 01:05 AM   #103  

Hello susan and welcome to our group.. im rosey from alaska.. you will get lots of support here and laughs too.. its great bunch.. one thing ive learned is everyone is diff..your body might tolerate things that mine wont.. have you taken a diabetes nutrition class? most ins pay for it and i learned alot from it.. one carb serving is 15 grms..my dr recommends 2 -3 serving s per meal.. if you read labels or have a carb counting book you can determine amounts and portions..thats what works for me.. ill bet the others in here will have other helpful advice.. its kinda trial by error till you find the right balance for you.. good luck and hope to see you in her again.. well i ceretainly was lazy today but no nap the phone kept riging and im one of those folks who cant stand not answering it..it was nice to be quiet..rosey
Old 03-20-2006, 09:43 AM   #104  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

Nothing particularly exciting around here today. BS of 5.3 (95) this morning. A little higher than usual for me. Makes up for yesterday's 3.9 (70) which was a little lower than usual.

Here in Nova Scotia, it's sunny and cold again but it looks like the heavy snow that was being predicted is going to miss us. I certainly hope so, anyway.

Glad to hear that you're feeling a little better, Josian. Hope things continue on that same trend.

Your BS will probably get back down once your life settles back to normal, Rosey. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the stress/excitement of all your company. Congrats on the little bingo win.

A great, big, welcoming for you Susan. Be sure to drop in often. We love company. As Rosey mentioned, proper eating for BS contol is a very individualized thing. You should book a session with a dietician who specializes in diabetes education. For me about 150 to 180 grams of "net" carbs seems to work pretty well. Just try to keep it spread fairly evenly across the day.

Have a great day, gang. Keep a-moving and a-shaking and try to steer clear of hairy frogs and hairy lobsters (blond or otherwise).
Old 03-20-2006, 11:35 AM   #105  

Good morning everyone, glad to see you all seem to be doing well!
I've been taking a break from the daily life of the online world while I get my studies in, I've been slacking in that department and got behind on my schedual. At least learning from home has it's advantages, you go as fast or as slow as you want to!

Sugar levels have been moderate, 110-120's of late, I'm really not to sure why they have elevated again. I know stress has its ways of helping with that and there has been some financial stress of late, maybe it's that!

Been experimenting with some simple and quick vegetable recipes for my lunches. So far my favorite is a medley blend (Cauliflower, broccoli and Carrot) with Celery(or mushroom) and Cheese sauce on top. It's so simple too, boil or steam the veggies, I buy a bag of the frozen californian medley blend(walmart) which has those 3 veggies in it, 1 cup is 20 calories and 4 carbs, I use 2 cups of those. Then take a 1/2 cup of 98-99% fat free celery or mushroom soup (70 calories and 10 carbs, also walmart brand - GV or great Value) which I make with 1/4 cup condensed soup and 1/4 cup of water, add a 1/4 cup of Kraft fat free cheddar shredded cheese (45 calories 2 carbs) until it melts, drain veggies, and pour over the sauce. Total is: 155 calories and 20 carbs. It's yummy and quite filling to..... of course last night I gave in to cheesecake sigh ahh well.
I'm still not seeing any difference to my shape, with the exception of my thighs, I wish I could get my tummy to flatten more, it's getting quite offputting. Maybe i should invest in a flexible tape measure and track my shape that way?
Weather has been very damp and rainy of late here, getting colder again to! It's been making me slide on my nightly walks with the dogs of which they are not happy about!! "Mummy" is in thier bad books I think!

Since Josian asked about the yeast infections, I to have a female area related question, which I am told is diabetically linked but I've never met another woman with the problem. Do or have any of you ladies get an issue with unexplained infected lumps in the womanly areas? So far in the past 4 years I've had 3, 2 of which have needed surgically lancing. It's very embarassing for me to have one develop and also very painful. I was just wondering if anyone had any idea what caused them or if you have had them, ways to prevent them? Wish my Doc's were more helpful!

Keep up the good work m'dears, and congrats on the weight moving again meowee!!!!

-Dianne xx
Closed Thread