hypothyroidism...advice?

You're on Page 1 of 5
Go to
  • Hello,

I am new here..I recently posted my story on the support part of the forum. I was wondering if you guys could give any tips/advice on what helped you losing weight with hypothyroidism. I gained at least 125 pounds in a short period of time. I went a very long time without even knowing I was hypothyroid...and then I have been on a rollar coaster of different doses. I am taking 125 of synthroid now. But I just wanted to see since I have this...is it really harder to lose weight with this even on medicine? And what if your doses change a lot? And suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Have a good day!

Michelle
  • Hi Michelle... I have been on synthroid for 15 yrs. When I was first diagnosed with hypo.. my doc said to me, the good news is, it is treatable, and the bad news is, wont help you lose the weight ...so....its very difficult to lose....You need to rev your metabolism all you can.... exercise early in the day, drink lots of water.... and find a diet plan that seems to work for you.. I personally lost a lot on south beach.. I am currently doing Sonoma.. I believe more, smaller meals will help keep you level....If you want to talk further, let me know.. would be glad to share my experience... India aka Barb
  • Hi barb...thanks so much for your advice. So, its really hard to lose weight on synthroid? I thought it might be..I thought I read that somewhere. I did hear that you may have to work out more than other people..to help with the metabolism. Also, this may be a strange question...but does it matter what time of day you take synthroid? Thanks again..have a good day! And anyone else who wants to offer advice it would be appreciated!

michelle
  • Hi Michelle! I'm hypo and take Levoxyl (similiar to Synthroid). My doctor always told me that if my TSH was in the correct range, I should be able to lose weight normally - and she was right. Once I quit kidding around and got serious about diet and exercise, I lost 122 pounds in less than a year. So I guess you can say that being hypo didn't slow me down too much.

Exercise was - and is essential and I eat a fairly high protein/lower carb diet (about 45% protein, 25-30% good carbs and 25-30% good fats).

Best of luck to you! You CAN lose weight despite hypothyroidism!
  • Hello,

I'm hypothyroid and I take Armour natural thyroid. Right now, my condition is OUT OF CONTROL. We just doubled my meds, but I am freezing all the time, so I suspect we're gonna have to up them again... I don't know how long it takes for the new dose to kick in. However, I have managed to lose a few pounds since I've been on medication... I have a problem w/ binging and I'm working w/ my dr. to see if it's related to neurotransmitter problems, which is something else that I take supplements for.

I think it is possible to lose weight w/ hypo, but it sure doesn't make anything easier!
  • I was reading just yesterday about this. There is a great book out there actually several from the same author about losing with hypo. It is mainly harder than a normal person. She stressed protien and low carbs. I can emil you the names if you want. I am not sure if I can give it out on the posts?w hat are the rules here? Anyway I am in the same boat. I am all over the board with my meds. Going to a new doc. today. I have recently done sb and lost 12 pds. I was on ww for almost a year and lost 4, so I do believe what this author says. She gives you ideas for vitamins and natural supplements to take to boast up your metabilism. I am loving her books. Hang in there if you want to support eachother i am in. I need to lose @40 pds.
  • Please share the name of the book DJmommy. I too have hypo and struggle. It is not by any means impossible but it is definately HARDER. I have had to have my meds upped every year for 4 yrs now. My dr also told me the same thing it will not HELP you loose weight, but you can do it as long as your TSH is in the correct range. Good luck to you.
  • well here they are I hope I am allowed to do this The one Book I love is The Thyroid Diet, Manage your matabolism for lasting weight loss. By Mary J. Shomon and here other one I was breifing yesterday is here 1st one I think Living well with Hypothyroidism. This one is good so far but I think I like the other one better. She also has a web site that you can check out. I can not think of it now if I find it I will give it to you. Is there a support thread for us to help eachother out? How did you lose all the weight. What diet are you following?
  • I personally am just calorie counting and trying to get my recommended servings per the USDA of each food group each day. I have lost 43lbs since AUG 1, 2005.
  • Have you researched the effect of flouride on hypothyroidism? My husband has the condition and we live in the city... we stopped drinking the tap water and started drinking distilled water only... it's no "miracle cure", but he felt much better and was able to pitch his meds... Now, he is also in heavy construction work so he gets lots of fresh air, sunlight, and he also takes his multi vitamins and Coral calcium on a daily basis... He didn't really notice any change in his condition until he stopped drinking tap water. I hope this helps... It's a horrible condition, sweethearts! I wish you the best... keep studying and be open minded!
  • Lan thanks for the advice I drink sooooo much water. Gonna lose it that is fabulous. Wow what a great accomplishment so far. I wish I could stay on my proogram. I am doing sb and it does work for me if I stay focused. Today is a new day and I will start again. I do get my work outs in though, which is good. I just need help with the eating. Thanks for the info
  • DJ-
    I fall off the "changing habits wagon" too, it isnt perfect. But I guess I drink enough water to not gain when I over indulge for a day or two. I flood my self with water (100oz/day) for a week or two to make up the difference and I see no gains. But each day I try again, and try to do it the right way. Some days I succeed some days I lack on success...but I NEVER FAIL, FAILURE is not an option.

If you would like a PM buddy feel free to add me to your list. I have one other gal here that we PM back and forth every day or so, and her and I have been doing it for a couple months, we dont share too much personal information and I dont even know her first name, but we really seem to like the communication with someone who is in the same physical boat as us.
  • You should take you meds on an empty stomach and then wait 1 hour before eating or 2 hours after eating and then wait an hour. What you eat does make a difference. A little more protein, complex carbs, fruits and veggies, good fat and dairy are good. Watch raw cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, and soy as they inhibit the thyroid. I doubt changing water cured a thyroid problem. Once you have a defective thyroid it always is according to my doctor. Perhaps he was misdiagnosed to begin with.
  • Hey Gang, I just noticed this post and had to jump in.

BunnyChick - I just sent you a pm and want to be sure that you see it.

Hi Michelle - I have finally started losing weight. I now take 5 grains of Armour Thyroid daily. I did not start losing any weight until I got up to 3 grains. It can be slow losing weight with a thyroid problem but once you are on a high enough dosage to treat your hypo symptoms, with the proper diet and exercise, most hypos can lose some weight. I've now lost 26 lbs in about 17 months and would love to lose another 20 lbs. I finally, think it might be possible since I'm finally receiving proper treatment for my low thyroid problem.

If you are on Synthroid and your doc is dosing you based on your TSH, then your dosage will probably change a lot. That is what happened to my mother and a lot of other people.

Indiacatz is right - most people won't lose weight on Synthroid. It is a T4 only product, and also one of it's side effects can be water retention. Armour contains both T4 AND T3, and that T3 can be very important to your mental well being, as well as things like hairloss and weightloss, etc. Some people will add Cytomel (T3) to their Synthroid, but I like getting it all in one natural product - Armour. ;-)

I am a member of a yahoo group where there are hundreds of members that switched from a synthetic thyroid med like synthroid or levoyxl and are now taking a natural thyroid med like Armour and have finally started losing weight.

A little over a year ago my mother switched from Synthroid to Armour, and once she got to 3 grains daily she started losing weight and has now lost 17 lbs. She is thrilled!!!

The book by Mary Shomon that djmommy mentioned "The Thyroid Diet, Manage your Metabolism for Lasting Weight Loss" is a great one and I think everyone that has a thyroid problem, or thinks they might have a thyroid problem, would do well to have it in their collection. There is a wealth of thyroid info in the book - not just as it pertains to weightloss.

LanMyers - you are so right about fluoride being a problem for everyone's thyroid. We only drink bottled or filtered water - we do our best to stay away from fluoride - we don't brush with it, we don't get fluoride treatments at the dentist, and as long as we are on the subject, we make sure that anytime we are xrayed (like at the dentist office) that they use a "thyroid shield" to cover and protect our thyroid from the radiation.

I've never heard of someone with a thyroid problem being able to stop the meds, usually you take them for life, but I'm glad your hubby is better!

Quilter - you are so right about taking your meds on an empty stomach. So many docs do not even mention that but if someone researches it on the internet or in books, they will eventually figure that out. Sure wish the docs would mention it to people. ;-)

Meg - I am thrilled that you have done so well. Your weightloss is an inspiration to all of us.

great topic - I'm so glad to see so many people talking about this stuff - you just don't know who all might be helped by talking about this kind of stuff.

take care,
    Cathy
  • Cathy, I am on synthroid and just not real thrilled with it, can you give me some more information on the Armour? I would like to maybe talk to my dr about it when I go back in to see him in a couple weeks. You can PM me if you want. Thanks...I have gone from .50micrograms/day 3 yrs ago and I am now up to .150/day on the synthroid and it isnt helping the mental clarity/hair loss/feeling cold always...so maybe this is something I should ask about.