Pre-menopause & dieting

• Anyone out there who is starting to have menopause symptoms and having plateau issues in their weight loss?? and what have you done to "un-stick" the scale??
  • 3 months ago, I was diagnosed with Pre-Menopause. Unfortunatley, I am in the same boat as you. Only thing I can recommend, which I am going to start tomorrow, is stay away from extra salt, exercise longer, and drink plenty of water.

If I find anything that has helped me, I'll make sure to tell you.

emerald dragonfly
  • i am tempted to just go back on my birth control pills at least they would straighten the hormones out!
  • I'm in the same boat curlylocks, as well as being on thyroid-replacement for the last 20 years. I know that I am doing what I can do to be the healthiest me, but I sure wish the lbs were easier to get rid of! Oh well, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.....I know I feel better too! I guess I need to look at the other benefits of eating healthy and exercising! Take care
  • Birth control made me gain weight. But I don't worry about that subject anymore.
    Hormones do play a big part as we get older. I am ready to bypass the "pre" part. I was told by several friends that once you hit menapause, you'll feel better. Well, I am not sure of that. My MIL and 1 SIL are having a terrible time with menapause. I hope when I get to that stage, I'll feel better.

emerald dragonfly
  • Speaking of birthcontrol and premenapause...........
    I haven't exactly been diagnosed, but I have had symptoms - bouts of occasional rage (or severe irritabilitiness) mostly. My doctor took me off birthcontrol to see if it would help with my bloodpressure. I have been on them for 8 years or so. My weight almost immediately shot up 7-10 pounds. Mostly water. It is slowly creeping down again. I don't know if it is because my hormones are getting back on track or the treadmill I bought 2 weeks ago. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has had weight gain after getting off BC pills?
  • I haven't found that's effecting my weight loss. I have hot flashes and night sweats that do disturb my sleep.
    But when I think of what a blessing it will be to be period free .... I figure it's worth a little trouble.
  • For hot flashes and night sweats, try soy tablets and black cohash. Soy is a plant estrogen but I have found it very helpful. I take a 50 mg. tablet once per day. When needed, I take one black cohash which also reduces/eliminates symptoms.
  • I lost the biggist chunk of my weight while I was peri-menopausal. Eat right and exercise. The laws of physics still hold true. The biggest surprise that I had is that when I dropped 50 pounds or so and cleaned up my eating, both my periods and a lot of my symptoms disappeared. Since I also had endometriosis, this was a huge blessing!

Mel
  • I'm 51 and I am having a very hard time. The bloating. My belly looks 6mos pregnant half the time. I just want to lose weight without starving myself. I watch calorie intake. Gonna try drinking 64oz + of water a day. I was told that the more water I drink and less salt used the body will release water instead of retain it. Been doing it for 2 days now and I'm 2lbs lighter today. Do you have any suggestions. besides I need to exercise more. I know I know. 30 min treadmill 30 min cardiocruiser A little pilates and roll around on the floor on the exercise ball. Gonna try to keep this going. But. This bloating is driving me crazy.