Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-12-2006, 04:20 PM   #1  
PrestonsMama

S/C/G: 253/180/150

Height: 5'6"

Default What to eat after oral surgery?

I'm sure my mouth will be hurting a few days after my surgery. I am having 9 teeth (4 of those are wisdom teeth, 2 bottom 2nd bicuspids and my right top 2nd bicuspid, a baby tooth on the left and they'll be digging into the roof of my mouth to take out the adult tooth -- OUCH!) to have braces put on. I have no clue what to eat while I'm sure I won't feel well enough to eat, I know I will have to. Any suggestions? I'm following WW if that helps. TIA!

Jen
PrestonsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Shakes, pudding, oatmeal, fat free cottage cheese, soup ....
I had roast ham a few days after I had my wisdon teeth out (didn't want to bother the hostess) .... don't do that.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:31 PM   #3  

It's me again, we'll have to stop meeting like this (this weight loss thing is getting into my brain, I just typed eating by mistake LOL)

My mum a few years ago had a total jaw reconstruction, and I left university for a few weeks to look after her. I would plan to maintain in this week rather than lose, you need as much essential fats and nutrients post op as you can get, if you have a loss, fab, but after surgery you often don't, the anaesthetics and things can make you hold water.

Yoghurt, cottage cheese (pureed if necessary) banana smoothies, soup, Preston's baby food, pureed apple (applesauce do you call it??) are the ideas that come to me.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:31 PM   #4  
PrestonsMama

S/C/G: 253/180/150

Height: 5'6"

Great ideas, Kylie! I was having a major brain fart and could not think of a single thing besides baby food that I could eat. LOL! Yogurt and soup sounds pretty good to me and I love applesauce! I'm going grocery shopping this weekend and stocking up for the next two weeks so I'll add those to my list. Thank you for your suggestions!
PrestonsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:32 PM   #5  

When i got my wisdom teeth out the thing that really saved me was broth. my mom made a lot of chicken and beef broth (to make broth just put the remains of a whole chicken in a pot, add water and simmer for a few hours).

I swear i went through about 3 big jars full of broth. as time went on i added more and more rice to the broth and then some carrots and vegetables.

I know its probably not the greatest thing for you to eat but it was very filling.
calliecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 242/184/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Dental Surgery for me also!

Hi Prestonsmom (and everyone else)!
I am having major mouth surgery this Thusday (the 19th).....having a bone transplant and a skin graph, and then they are grinding down my six front upper teeth for a 6 tooth bridge. I'm getting pretty nervous, and I was also concerned how to eat, but not gain weight....I'm thinking oatmeal, mashed potatoes (not diet friendly), yougart, soup, etc. I just hope that since they are taking skin from the roof of my mouth, I'll be able to eat anything!
I'm also concerned about how long I'll be unable to jump around doing my Curves workout.

Good luck with your surgery! Keep me posted
Travelchick
travelchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:26 PM   #7  

Hi I was a surgical Dental Assistant for years... and these chicks have given you great ideas! Here's some things to consider..

Nothing too hot or cold... nothing too spicy
Soft Foods
No drinking out of a Straw or sucking on lozenges(this could dislodge the clot, and slow healing)
If you Smoke: Don't! This may cause dry socket, which is painful

You may see some red/bleeding afterwards.. This is pretty normal, to reduce it bite down on a moist Teabag..the tannic acid helps with clotting and with discomfort.

Ice in a ziploc when you get home.. 20 mins on, 20 mins off for the first 2 hours will help with swelling. No heat the first day.

Good luck!!
Schatzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 242/184/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Thanks!

Hi Schatzi,
Thanks for the advice. I am glad that you told me to stay away from straws....I had thought that I would sip everything through a straw! I'm not a smoker, so that's not a problem.
I am very nervous, but this has to be done
Enjoy your evening!
travelchick is offline   Reply With Quote