Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-31-2006, 01:23 PM   #121  
Renya Bott

In reply to what kind of exercise I do, I use a treadmill. I was very consistent about it since we purchased it in December but now it has gotten boring. I haven't used it in 5 days.
Renya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:19 PM   #122  

Cool

Hi to all the newbies and to everyone else. Congratulations to all those losing weight. BB - you are doing fine. Meowee is right. Watch out for the hidden carbs in the cereals. Vary your carbs a bit by using whole grains. Meowee - check out Miriam Nelson's book "Strong Women, Strong Bones." She sets up an exercise program using weights which can be done no matter what shape you're in.
I've been sick with a cold the last week so it's kept me a little more faithful to my program, except I substituted chicken soup for some of the meals. Anyway, I've lost 4 lbs. However, my blood sugars are high (150s, 160s in a.m.) and I'm concerned about that. Also, because I've been sick haven't been able to exercise the way I've been doing. But this will pass.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:23 PM   #123  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Renya -- I have a lovely treadmill that now lives folded up, in the garage. It started living there quite a while before my knees gave out so I can't even use the arthritis as an excuse. Unfortunately that seems to the fate of a lot of perfectly nice treadmills. I sincerely hope you get back in touch with yours. Do you have it somewhere in front of a TV? That might help.

Rosettastone -- Thanks for the info on the book. I'll look for it. Don't get too worried about the BS. It will likely come back into line once your cold has completely gone and you get back to a better diet. As you know, too little food isn't good for us either. My BS always goes up when I've got any kind of respiratory-related virus and I know that's true for a lot of people. I don't get too worried unless it's regularly sitting in double digits (above 180). In the meantime, relish the weight loss.

Have a great evening.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:51 PM   #124  

Hi everyone.. its finally warmed up to above zero..a heat wave at any rate i like it..i know exercise is a big thing for all of us..but i dont have a regular program and know i should.. at that diabetes class the educator gave me an exercise routine for people like me that can be done sitting in a chair.. and standing holding onto a chair and using weights..it suppose to make your legs stronger..i have done the routine and its not hard or difficult..i can share if you want but you would have to pm me your address so i could send you a copy..also richard simmons has a video exercises for seniors thats easy on the body..when i went to curves last yr i found that dancing around helped me alot.. gotta love that old rock and roll..anyways i think what is important is to find something we like and that works for us as individuals..and just do it no matter what shape we are in.. good advice for myself .. rosetta.. when im sick my sl go really high and my dr said that was normal..hang in there and feel better soon..nice to see so many new people in here ..have a great day everyone..((((((((( )))))))))) rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:49 PM   #125  

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee
Thanks for the information, BBW. I'll get some weights and try some of those moves. I've also heard of a mini bicycle-type thing that you can either use with your feet on the floor or with your hands on a table that sounds like a great idea but I've never actually seen one.
You can indeed buy a table top cycle for use with hands or feet. I actually get a health catalogue with them in, can I post a link to it here? I have bought the under desk cycle version for myself since I seem to be glued to my computer half of my day hehehe, quite a bargain at only 15 bucks to =)

Taken up a mile a day walking out with the dogs, 10 minutes on the treadmill also and keeping to my diet. BL this morning was 150 (fasting) and 148 tonight 2hrs post dinner! I'm feeling pretty good in myself right now. Hubby also doing great, although I can't watch what he eats during the week since he is a truck driver, but he's been telling me his BL every test 90-130ish and he has been buying salads not McD's!
Dianne E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:07 PM   #126  
Onward and Downward

Wow . . . just thought I'd drop in to say goodnight and I'm very glad I did.

Dianne . . . please post a link to the little bicycle thing . . . of course, with my luck it's probably only available in the US, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Sounds like both you and your husband are moving in the right direction.

Rosey . . . I'd love to have a copy of those exercises and I'd be thrilled to send you a private message with my e:mail address . . . if you wouldn't mind telling me how to do it

Thanks, ladies. Have a great night
Old 02-01-2006, 12:32 AM   #127  

Hi meowee.. at the top of the page is a heading that says welcome and then your name.. under that is private messages..i think thats how you send them..anyone else know how its done?? to send the exercises i would scan them and print a set and mail them too you..im not very computer savy so thats how i would do it..i did the exercises tonite and my legs ache more than usual.. i guess no pain no gain.. with my foot being sore i have sat around alot this winter and have noticed how weak and shaky i get if im up and about for along time..its hard to do things when you hurt..i think im just to fat for my poor little feet and my legs deffintly are weaker gives me incentive to get moving more.. well enuff about me and it late..talk in the morning..(((((((hugs)))) rosey p.s. i tried to send you a message thru the private messages.. so check yours and see if it worked..

Last edited by akrosey49; 02-01-2006 at 12:42 AM.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:37 AM   #128  

ok meowee, as promised!
This is the motorized one: http://www.drleonards.com/detail.cfm?EDP=10401529
This is the one I bought, also useable for arms and back: http://www.drleonards.com/detail.cfm?EDP=10006542

I think they can manage to ship it to Canada

However if they can't.... http://www.dental-plan.com/product/3568 Canadian version

Last edited by Dianne E; 02-01-2006 at 02:43 AM.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:12 AM   #129  
Onward and Downward

Well, morning has come (and almost gone again, now that I look at the clock). Basically, Nova Scotia is closed today. We finally got one of the blizzards they've been talking about for the last couple of weeks. I'll let you know the final tally for snow depth when it finally stops.

Rosey . . . I got your private message, and I hope you have received mine. I have to agree with you about the poor little feet (and heaven knows mine are not all that little). Mine were definitely not designed to carry this much weight.

Dianne . . . thanks for the links, I'm going to check them out as soon as I finish posting this.

My morning is not going all that great. The storm woke me up really early so I got up and did my official February 1 weigh-in. Blah . . . I only lost 1 little pound in the past 16 days. I know, I know, at least I didn't gain. I will update my slider and go on . . . forward and downward. Now I really don't know if I want to continue with my twice a month weighing, or go to once a month or to once a week. Might as well do weekly I guess. So we'll see what next Wednesday has to say for itself. Anyway, I was up early . . . ate breakfast early . . . decided to have a nap . . . just got up again . . . now I have a headache (partly the nap and partly the low pressure from the storm). All in all, not the most fun I've ever had.

Talk to you soon, gang. Hope you all have a better day than I'm having
Old 02-01-2006, 12:17 PM   #130  

Hope the pedal excersiser works for you Meowee, and snuggle up warmly, avoid that bad weather!

Cooking question! When a recipe calls for "oats" instead of breadcrumbs as a substitue, would that be a reference to rolled oats, such as Quaker Oats the breakfast item?

SL was 152 this morning, can't believe I have almost halved my scores just by changing my diet. Been so drastic though, I feel the need for chocolate! ... must ... resist! *pout*

Keep up the good work all!
Old 02-01-2006, 02:37 PM   #131  

Morning everyone i had trouble sleeping last night too..it was my sore leg muscles..but this am i did the exercises again..and it hurt again..my youngest daughter is an exercise aholic..she has lost 183 # it took her a year but looks great and is trying to help her old mama ..she said eventually i wouldnt hurt and i would like it well we will see about that ..meeowee i got your pm so it worked yay..so will contact you about the exercise sheets.. hope you all have agreat day(((((( )))))))) rosey
Old 02-01-2006, 08:19 PM   #132  
Onward and Downward

Just a quick hello . . .

There is a little medical supply shop in one of the neighbouring towns not too far from me where I'm going to try to see if they've got anything like those little exerciser machines. My experience ordering stuff from the US has not been good. Canada Customs stops them at the border and tacks on all sorts of duties and taxes and then, they've got the nerve to add a fee. . . sort of like charging you for the privilege of charging you.

Yep, Dianne, that would mean the regular rolled oats by Quaker. The kind you have to cook, not the instant kind. They are a wonderful ingredient . . . important for keeping cholesterol in check and they help hold moisture in baked goods and they add a bit of natural sweetness as well.

Have a good day. See you tomorrow.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:54 AM   #133  
No more tears!

I order that petel exerciser and i hope it will help me!
BBWonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:40 AM   #134  

I sure hope it helps you BBW! I think they are a great idea actually especially for anyone who has trouble doing regular excersise or just wants to stay at home that particular day.
Looking forward to getting mine thats for sure!

Meowee, I think most medical supply places could probably obtain them, good thinking there, and thanks for the clarification concering the oats issue!

Keep up the good work!
Old 02-03-2006, 02:32 PM   #135  

Morning everyone its bitterly cold here this am again -16 below.. im longing for spring.. i have been faithfully exercising every morning..and im stiff and sore but determined..meowee i mailed those exercises to you and hope they help..hope you are all having a good day((((((( )))))))))) rosey