Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:12 PM   #91  
stbakd

Default reciepe

scones
1 3/4 cups flour 1/4 cup margarine
1/4 cups splenda 1/4 cup raisins
1 tbsp baking powder 3/4 cup 1% milk
1/2 tsp salt surface coating
1/4 tsp each nutmeg 1 egg white lightly beaten
cinamon 1 tbsp splenda

combine flour, sugar,baking powder,salt and spices. cut in margarine until mixture becomes crumbly. stir in raisins. add milk, mix just until moist. turn out onto a floured surface and knead 6 or 8 times. roll out to 8 inch circle. with a floured knnife cut 8 inch wedges, or roll intil circles. place on greases baking sheet. brush with egg white and sprinkle with splenda. bake at 425 for 12 - 15 mintes or until golden brown. enjoy glen
hefty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:43 PM   #92  

Hi everyone well hope this finds you all well.. mr ken thankyou for the scone recipe.. sounds yummy and i will try it..my foot is better.. and im doing the house work i should have done last week gosh i hate house work.. if i was rich id have a cleaning lady..i can dream cant i ..why is it when men retire theyre " retired " and a womens work keeps going on and on..can you tell i hate house work..other than that im feeling fine.. slevels are awsome and a side affect of the new med is my appetite has gone.. have any of you had that taking glybizide??no sugar its ok to have a soda if you need the sugar..just dont be so hard on yourself..guilt is self defeating.. ..Mt augistine blew again yesterday.. so far we havent had any ash..i here some giant dust bunnies calling catch me if you can.. better get back at it..have agreat day everyone(((((((((( ))))))))) rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:00 PM   #93  

Cool

Hi all. My blood sugar is still high in the mornings because I'm cheating on my fast. Have to see the endo next month and I'm sure he'll put me back on Actos. Sigh. Despite my cheating I'm still losing a couple of lbs a week. Go figure.
Rosey -- I'm sorry about your foot. Be very careful and do whatever you need to make it heal. I know what you mean about housework. I live in a studio apartment but it's on what amounts to a cross-town highway which kicks up a lot of dust. I don't even try to keep up. Life is short.
Nosugar: Glad to hear from you. Congratulations on the weight loss. Keep up the good work. I can't image school cafeteria food will be too tempting/
Joyce, I'm having the same problem staying on program and keeping my blood sugar under control. However, I am exercising some now. I walk on my lunch hour instead of sitting around reading. It helps. Are you exercising?
Glen, scone recipe sounds good but I'm not supposed to be eating now. Hope you can stablize your bs.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:50 PM   #94  

Post Update

I went to WW tonight. I did not lose 5 lbs. but I did lose 2.2. That is better than nothing. The school food is really good. I really mean it. I am going to start walking next week. I went to the Dr. today and my sugar is fine and found out I have arthritis. So he gave me something for that so I can start walking with out pain. Hope everyone is doing good. And bless ya'all. Thank you for all the support. I really enjoy it.
nosugarmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:43 AM   #95  
stbakd

my sugar levels are down. i haven't exercising latly because it's too cold. i got the scone reciepe from another diebetic. does anybody like yorkshire pudding . i have reciepe. hope you don't the hoppers. glen
Old 01-22-2006, 08:36 PM   #96  

Hi everyone.. hope you have all had agreat weekend.. it was real quiet around here and we had 8 inches of new snow and the wind really blew last night..i have a moose pot roast cooking in the oven with fresh green beans and new potatoes..moose is alot like beef only leaner..the dh is watching football.. and i had my nose ina book all day.. very lazy ((((hugs)) for all rosey
Old 01-23-2006, 12:48 AM   #97  

rosettastone, I am on Actos and LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!! It has brought down my blood sugars within a week! I was off of the meds for almost a month and I did pretty well, but my doctor said to get back on them. She told me if I lose my 33lbs., There's a good possibility I can get off of it! Can't wait because it costs me $220.00 for 1 month supply! Blew my mind when I had to write that check. LOL!!

Anyway, don't give up or get discouraged. Stay positive and motivated and soon you'll be feeling so much better!!! I promise!!

emerald dragonfly
emerald dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:53 AM   #98  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hello to everybody. Hope you've got room for one more.

I'm new to this thread but, unfortunately, not new to T2 diabetes (about 15 years now). My BS is moderately well controlled but it takes a lot of medication -- glyburide, metformin, actos, and insulin -- and I still have problems if I don't balance my carbs well throughout the day.

Once again, I'm trying to get serious about losing weight. I'm sure the BS level would be better if there was less of me and I might be able to use fewer meds. I don't mind all the pills and have not had too many side effects. The insulin, however, is another story. Boy, does it ever do a great job of packing on the weight, especially around the middle. If I lose a couple of pounds, it comes off my left earlobe (or some other obscure spot). If (when) I gain it back, it goes straight to the belly .

Wow, Glen, how did you know that scones (especially blueberry) are one of my favourite sins. My biggest problem with stuff like that is not knowing how to stop. No matter how LS/LF the treat may be, it doesn't help either the weight or BS control situation when you "eat the whole recipe in one sitting".
Are there any more Canadians on this thread? Would be nice to know there were some people who would know they don't have to call an ambulance if I mention that my BS was below 5 this morning (below 90 for the rest of you). Is the UK on the same system as Canada? or something different again?

Anyway, I'll stop boring everybody for the time being. Will be looking forward to chatting again soon. Have a great day.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:09 PM   #99  

Hi everyone.. meowee im rosey from alaska.. your post tickled my sence of humour..i have the same issues but dont take insulin.. and when i loose wt its never where i want it to be gone..my sl have been awsome since i started taking glybazide and it takes away my appetite too.. i like baked stuff too and carbs and esp chcolate..so unless its a speacial occasion i dont bring it into the house cuz i will eat it all.. no will power.. anyways its sooooocold here today-13 below... brrrrrrrrrrr im freezing.. hope you all have agreat day(((((((((hugs)))))))) rosey
Old 01-24-2006, 02:16 PM   #100  

Cool

Hi all. My blood sugars are getting higher and I'm concerned. It's because I haven't been sticking to my fasting program. I'm experiencing a lot of anxiety lately, in part due to a big birthday coming up that's bringing all sorts of stuff and another thing that came up last week. It makes it hard to stick to a program. I've been careful in my cheating and have lost despite it but this week I've just maintained. I wish I could get out of this funk.
Emerald - I know Actos does the job and I'll probably go back on it. Didn't know it was so expensive. Guess I won't complain about my $30 co-payment.
Linda - welcome to the thread. We all struggle with the same issues and try to support each other.
Rosey - sounds like being Snowbound is a good thing once in awhile. Any more activity from that volcano?
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:12 AM   #101  
stbakd

linda i think there is only two canuks here. rose try wwriting down what you eat. this might help find out why bs are high. try exercising more.
glen
Old 01-26-2006, 10:05 AM   #102  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning from Atlantic Canada . . .

And the good news is we seem to have been missed by the blizzard they were predicting for last night. Not exactly a bright and sunny morning, but only an inch or so of snow.

On a more personal note, my morning isn't too bright and sunny either. My BS is up a little too high and I really have no idea why. BS can vary for all sorts of reasons so I try not to let it get me down, but it does.

Hey, onward we go. This too will pass. The new vibrator belt for my vacuum cleaner has finally arrived so I can clean up the cat hair. Wow, life is really getting weird when you can get excited about being able to do some of your housework.

See you all soon. to everyone.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:22 PM   #103  

Hi everyone.. im am sooooooo cold.. its -27 below this am and the furnace is running nonstop..im bundled up and still feel cold (mind over matter)..rosetta am sorry to here that you are struggling so..it is frustrating i know..just keep going one day at a time.. and if thats to hard then break that down into babysteps..stress had a major roll in making our sl go out of sight so when things calm down for you the sl will come down too.. hang in there((((hugs)) for you...meow.. you crack me up as i have issues with my vacume too..we have a golden retrevier that sheds constantly and my vacume just cant handle the pet hair and i never get excited about housework.. wish i could hire it done but then id probably clean before the cleaing person came so they couldnt see my mess ..we were in anchorage the last 2 days as my dh had a dr apt.. got to see my other grkids and that made the trip worth it..im going to try a new chili reciepe today for a crock pot that i found in the new wday magazine.. altho the dh isnt kean on experiments i like to try something new once in a while.. ill let you know if its good..hope you all havea great day..stress free..(((((((( ))))))))) rosey
Old 01-26-2006, 03:13 PM   #104  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Another Canuk here but I don't check in very often because of MOD duties.
Stress really screws my morning bloodreading, Meowee. If I wake up in the middle of the night and have trouble falling back to sleep it is always higher in the morning. I usually run 4.5 to 5.8. If I have too many carbs at suppertime, I run a bit high in the morning.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:31 PM   #105  
Onward and Downward

Glad I gave you a giggle, Rosey. When all the parts are there, mine handles the hair just fine. Good thing too, one of my 3 cats is a very large walking ball of long gray hair. At least it's not Summer. In the warm weather I get enough hair off him every week to make a couple of new kittens. What kind of vacuum are you using? Does it have the separate beater-bar rug thingie?

Thanks, Ruthxxx, I know too many evening carbs can screw me up, but I never really thought about the effect of a not so great night's sleep. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

See you later, kiddies.