Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 10-21-2005, 07:09 AM   #16  

Good Morning All..........
The weather here in Maryland is rain.........hard rain...It is just the tip of what is to come. With the weather and having Fibro I wonder how each of you deal with the pain..??? I sure rely on my pain meds...and it helps most of the time..
I am getting stiff as we speak........Hope your having a painfree day..
Barb..
FreeToBeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 02:29 PM   #17  

Default Hey There

Mima- What a enteresting relationship that is going to be with the mother of the bride..It looks like a contest of wills already..We are still watching the weather to see where Wilma is going. It has already ruined my trip to N/Fl. We were going today. Now it looks like it may not be till tuesday. My hubby will not leave till he sees Wilma on the other side of Fl.
Meme- It sounds like you have a great house.I guess I need to get rid of a lot of my things I have pack ratted away.Then I would have more room.You are right about the dog..I don't need it at this time..
Happy -40 degrees! That is what we get on cold days here.Great about the new G/baby.. I wish it were me. I guess all I can look forward to G/Grandchildren. Of course it will be awhile yet. Both of my G/children are still in college.
Tammy- It has been so long since I looked at school pictures! Last night our son brought a CD of his wedding. We all sat around smiling and shedding a few tears. It is very nice.God did indeed bring him a great wife. He so deserved to be happy. He waited over 20 years to remarry.It is unlikely they will have any children. That makes me a little sad. He would have been a great father. She has 2 almost grown. He is 47 and she is 44. I can understand her not wanting to try again.
Back to the weather program. Later...Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:03 PM   #18  

Barb, welcome! I also am pretty achy with the cool wet weather too. I just got home from a football game, and I took medicine right when I walked in the door.

News about the house. The owners of the house that we bid on have decided not to sell! I couldn't believe it. We're supposed to look at another house tomorrow on the same street.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 12:14 AM   #19  

Hi everybody.

Wecome Barb, to our thread. I have OA and FM and find the humidity is the killer. Not much you CAN do about it, but hope it passes. I live in Western Canada, so mostly, it is a dry climate. The cold of winter actually leaves me feeling better than any other time. It can get to 30 below zero, but it is dry as a bone and that = NO PAIN. The past few winters have been warmer than usual, and this winter is supposed to be warm with lots of blizzards and snow, so that = humidity = pain! Not looking forward to it, for sure.

Tammy - sorry to hear that the people decided NOT to sell. Perhaps the house you look at tomorrow will be the one for you. It isn't easy to find the perfect house, that is for sure.

Joanne - stay safe and I sure hope that you are not in the line of this hurricane. I just don't know how you stand it, one right after the other. It is just sad to see everybody lose everything they own.

Well, I am going back to work. I have been feeling pretty good the past year - have a few ups and downs, but mostly good. I am going to go do some data entry at the Lab (where you get your blood work and tests done). It will be 4 hours a day Mon. thr Fri. Looking forward to it. The best part is, I get to wear scrubs, so it will be like going to work in my PJ's I start on the 31 Oct. It is a temp. postion at the moment and ends in June. I sure hope I can do this. It isn't just sitting so I might be just fine.

Everybody have a nice weekend. It is my daughter's birthday today, and she , and her family are coming here for the weekend. Probably won't be around until Monday.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 12:54 AM   #20  

Welcome to the Fibro thread Barb ... we're glad to have you. Friendly bunch, one and all. (If a little crazy at times ... all but me that is!) I live in TN (Nope ... not a Redneck Mima ... wouldn't use sunflowers with lilac, blue and green ... YUCK!)

Tammy ... sorry about the house but you will probably find a better one. All things work together for our good and I firmly believe that! Let us know what the next one looks like.

Good luck with the job Anne. I hope it works out for you. One of my best friends is going to work at the hospital ... delivering trays to the rooms. She's so excited. My daughter works in administration at the hospital and helped get her in. She said once you get on there unless you do something really bad you have a job forever because they hardly ever fire anyone. My friend's husband is disabled ... he's already had 6 back surgerys so it's about time she got a break. She needs a job where she can get some good insurance for him.

Joanne ... sorry you missed your trip but I sure hope you miss the storm brewing over you! I think I might be wanting to run the other way right now! If your son's wife has 2 children nearly grown, maybe he will get to make a great grandfather someday!

Gotta get in the bed, long, cold, rainy weekend coming up with lots to do in pain and misery.
MemeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:40 AM   #21  

Good morning-they are not sunflowers, they are small. I guess bride doesn't know names of flowers. I don't expect to have much of a relationship with bride's mother-but we do have one with the father, who is a good guy. But they do not have a good relationship-I know too much about them. We offered to pick up church expenses and found out it will be $450. At least we found out yesterday. We are not members yet. We are also concerned that there won't be enough food but found out step-father of the groom was worried too and is making a lot of it. Well, today is the church wedding and it should be nice-and it's not going to rain til later. I need to concentrate on that. And the spiritual part. There will be lots of people that never go to church so I hope it will be a good witness. All this other stuff is not important. I heard it said once to ask if on the day you die, will any of this really matter. Too bad about the house Tammy but there will be a better one. Your job sounds exciting Anne. gee Meme-can you fly up to sing? Should have told you before. I am learning so much about what not to do. Mima
Mima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 04:36 PM   #22  

Yep ... you should have asked ahead. I could have been your "Wedding Singer" ... high on Darvocet! It's definitely a Darvocet weekend!!!

We just had to go to Lowes and buy a new grill ... I hate having to do that this late in the year but we have two weekends of grilling out ahead ... friends this weekend for my best friends surprise BD party here tomorrow - we're grilling ribs - and the kids next weekend for hamburgers and hotdogs ... and our grill has burned completely out. Hubby bought new racks for it back at the beginning of the summer and we thought we could make it through one more year but the bottom burned out. It was a big one with a burner on the side. They just don't last very long. He got one with cast iron racks this time ... maybe it will last longer. It's a big one with a burner on the side, a drawer and the bottom is enclosed with doors in the front. It has a rotisserie rack, too. We have 3 gas tanks ... That way if the power goes of, we can just use the grill for everything.

It has turned off cold and is supposed to rain tomorrow and I'm hurting so bad I'm dying. Working on getting my nasty house cleaned for the BD party tomorrow. YUCK ... dust allergies ... I'm crying. I need one of those vacuum systems in the walls that suck out all the dust ... the dust in my house would probably clog it up.

(I just opened a Dove Choc. that has the little saying in the wrapper ... it said "Hey, Why Not?" Now ... that could mean ... why not get back to work, why not just sit here, why not have another chocolate, or why not just go to bed! ... Hmmm ...
Old 10-22-2005, 04:39 PM   #23  

Hey ... thought you might like to know I decided the "Why Not" meant have another chocolate ... the next wrapper said "Don't Think About It So Much!!!
Old 10-22-2005, 07:34 PM   #24  

House News!!! The one we looked at today is 1/2 of a double. The other one was a single house. Anyway, this one is right next door to the first one! WE LIKE THIS ONE BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my word! I couldn't believe it. The floor plan is nicer than the first one. This has a breakfast bar in the kitchen so we wouldn't have to use the dining room all the time. The Florida room is nicer because it is more cutoff from the rest of the house, more privacy. The porch isn't enclosed, but we can do that. It needs paint and maybe new carpet, but we put a verbal bid on it with our realtor. Hope we get it!!!
Old 10-23-2005, 05:51 AM   #25  

Hey tammy-that's good. I hope you get it. Even though the groom was later than was said and the bride's family forgot the flowers for the church and had to go back to get them, the ceremony was nice. I love that Pastor. He evem directed what shots we should photogaph. When he got to groom's parents, he was a little mixed up because I am not brett's mother, but he figured it out fast. Then we went to eat. My daughter was disturbed because as soon as they got their food, they started to eat and not wait for grace and everyone else. But I am sure i knew that would happen. Except the bride and groom knew. Brad was taken aback because his ex-wife called him moneybags, Her husband, who picked up the check, has a gambling problem, hence they have a money problem. Oh well. I was very nice to her. Then I went home and took a nap and made the cream puffs and another pan of macaroni, sauce, and cheese. And the I saw Signature Sound on the Gaither hour. What a treat that was!!!!!!!!!!!So now back to waiting for the hurricane, My daughter is coming to church with me and then we are going to go set up tables. And then I will come home to get dressed up. Again. Have fun at your party Meme-sounds like a nice grill. I am glad about your house Tammy. Hi Joanne-Anne. and Freeto be. Mima
Old 10-23-2005, 03:28 PM   #26  

Mima, did you cry at the wedding? I think I've cried at every wedding I've been to except mine!!

Anne, good luck with the job!! I have quite a few friends who are going into new jobs right now. I guess I did too by switching grade levels!! lol

Meme, the grill sounds great. We have a gas grill and a charcoal grill. The gas one is so handy, but Bob is a charcoal man. As for the Why not? I think it is Why not have another chocolate and go take a nap!!!!!! I just read what the 2nd wrapper said! Oh my! Too funny!!!

I remember attending a wedding years ago before I attended church regularly. They did communion. I had no idea what they were doing, and I felt so lost. It wasn't long after that that we started attending. Maybe that was a spur in my side to get me going. I think that has happened to others after a wedding.

I need to go to school and work on grade cards. This year is the first time that we've done them on the computer. I would much rather sit in the recliner or at the kitchen table to do them.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:34 PM   #27  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Hi Everybody! It's been a while. Feel like I'm being sucked into the abyss. Fatigue is crushing me like a bug. I haven't been able to drive for two years, and unable to work for almost one year. Have filed for disability, and am being sent to more doctors than when I was first diagnosed. Neurologist is offering some hope, and tomorrow I complete a neuropsych evaluation for a memory clinic program. Fibrofog is my scariest symptom, as I have almost no ability to concentrate (the fibro or the fibro meds, probably a mixture). I have a bunch of other health problems (sleep apnea, arthritis, morbid obesity, high blood pressure, lung/sinus problems, prediabetes, spinal disc problems, depression?)

The weather change is killing me, and I'm hoping the cold will not dampen my enthusiasm for the warm water exercise program at our health care center (amazing - I wish lived closer, I'd go every day)

Don't remember where I was headed with this post, but just wanted to say hi, and vent a bit, and try to find a little inspiration.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:08 AM   #28  

Hi back!! The hurricane is hitting below us-and my son but they are still getting clobbered. Hope you are ok Joanne-funny thing is that it's coming up this way tomorrow. Not a hurricane though.
I didn't cry at the wedding-I get full of joy-but when Brett danced with his new 4 year old step-daughter. I felt something. Reception went well. Ther was way too much food and they called a home for ******ed to pick it up. great idea-that included 3 dishers that I mad which we didn't have to use. I am so glad it went to good use. Most of Brad's stepchildren were there-they are so nice!!! I am glad you said that about church, Tammy. Brett said Angela's parents apologized to each other-they have a very stormy marriage.
I think we won't leave til Thursaday-that is if we will have electricity by Sat. Gives me more time. Flu shots this morning! Mima
Old 10-24-2005, 11:42 AM   #29  

Hello Everybody..I will be gone for the next week.. Going to N/Fl.
Mima- Everything good here. Breezy but little rain. That is what we really needed here in Tampa bay.
Kaplods -Try to look at the bright side.. Work on your diet and getting healthy. We all have been down at times.
Tammy- My daughter has been doing plans etc. on the computer for some time. She uses her laptop and sits in her recliner to do her work.
Meme-Stay well. Hello Happy...Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 01:50 PM   #30  

Kaplods ... just take it one day, one step, one meal, one exercise at a time. You didn't gain the pounds all at once and they won't come off all at once. You didn't get all the disease at once and they won't get better all at once. I think we all expect too much when we first start a new program and then we get dissatisfied because things aren't going fast enough. We need to just keep plodding along, even if you slid back a little a day or two, get right back on the program you set for yourself and keep going. If you can lose a pound or 2 a week that will be AT THE LEAST 52 pounds a year ... as opposed to gaining a pound a week ... that's a difference of 104 pounds a year. When you look at it like that a pound a week doesn't sound so bad! Just minor modifications will cause you to lose that much. Just think what you could do if you really tried! Fried foods, sugar and white flour are the big culprits. If you want to lose big, cut down on those. Start out by drinking a Boost every morning ... that will give you added energy that you need without all the added fat. Eat more protein ... in the form of lean meat, eggs, fish, etc. Add green tea throughout the day, it's an antioxidant and will help clean out your whole system and make you feel a lot better ... and from what you just said you could benefit from a whole lot of green tea! It's good for everything that 'ails' you! I have a lot of the same things you have and I found out that foods hurt me A LOT! Start watching what you eat and how you hurt afterward. You probably have a lot of the same food allergies I have. Most people with Fibro and Arthritis hurt worse after eating foods with a high content of white flour and sugar. I also notice a flare up of IBS after eating a lot of sweets or fried or greasy foods. I have to be careful about eating stuff with certain kinds of mayo, too. The list is long but I've learned it well. Oh, I have my occasional 'fling' ... but I know I'll pay afterward ... and it usually wasn't worth it! If you do this and just generally move around more the weight should start to fall off at first. Then, after a few weeks, you HAVE to give yourself a break ... if not, your body will adjust itself to your new eating regeme and start conserving calories. I know that sounds dumb but that's what it does. It slows down your metabolism to a crawl because it 'thinks' you are starving it ... so it just shuts down. What you have to do, when you stop losing, is eat a little more. Not a lot ... just a little ... and just for a few days. Then go right back to what you were doing. Then, you'll see, you'll begin to lose big again. It works, I have friends who I've help to lose a lot of weight this way ... give it a try!

Joanne, have a nice vacation. It is soooo cold here. 44 degrees right now ... at noon. I have the heat on for the first time this year. I hate the cold!

Mima, glad the wedding went good. Bet you're glad it's over and you can get on down to warmer weather. I'm confused ... did they have the reception a long time after the wedding that you went back home first or was that something different you went to?

Tammy ... see, I told you that other house would be better ... Hope you get it. If not, there might be something even better waiting around the corner, who knows!!! Is this other house bigger than the first one? I'm excited. You're going to have to make some pictures if you get it.

I'm just trying to "Not Think About It So Much" today!