3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Dieting with Obstacles (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles-14/)
-   -   synthroid? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles/66429-synthroid.html)

andreaphilip3 10-07-2005 07:19 PM

synthroid?

hasanyone had insomnia w .25mg of synthroid?

happydaisy 10-07-2005 10:27 PM

I've never had that problem. (I'm on .75) Do you take it in the morning? They say that that is when your bodies largest natural release would occur. I try to take it before I work out, then shower, then eat. Any other new meds you're taking that could be causing this?

GonnaLooseitagain 10-07-2005 10:43 PM

I take .125 and I also take mine in the morning right when I get up. You may want to try that.. I used to take it at night, but I guess I am always tired anyways so I never noticed it keeping me up...but try taking it right when you get up and 30-60 minutes before eating.

happy2bme 10-07-2005 11:45 PM

My doctor just put me back on Synthroid again. He said to take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Wait about an hour before eating. If you take calcium supplements, switch those to the evening. He did say they recommend taking it in the morning as it can cause insomnia in some people if taken at night.

andreaphilip3 10-08-2005 10:57 AM

thanks guys,
unfortunately i do take it upon rising. i did some research and thats a side effect.

MichelleRae 10-10-2005 03:13 PM

I never had a problem with insomnia when I was on synthroid but I am now taking Armour thyroid and not having a problem at all with it either.

andreaphilip3 10-10-2005 03:27 PM

sounds like you guys are so lucky! if it doesnt stop soon, im calling the dr. not only do i have trouble getting to sleep i have trouble stasying asleep since starting it.

flower 10-10-2005 03:49 PM

I am on 88mcg. I never had that side effect, but it effects everyone differently. Hope you get it figured out soon.

andreaphilip3 10-10-2005 05:46 PM

thanks me too!

happy2bme 10-10-2005 09:28 PM

I had been taking Synthroid for 9 years. Towards the end of that stint, I was having difficulty sleeping and felt that was just one of many symptoms that the drug just wasn't doing it's job. Didn't matter if I slept 3 hours or 13, I never felt rested when I woke up. I also remember being dog tired, could barely keep my eyes open and then once I put my head on the pillow - wide awake. I changed endochronologists and the first thing they wanted to test me for was sleep apnea.

I asked him to switch me from Synthroid to Armour thyroid (based on some information I actually found here at 3FC) and I was pleased to find that the sleep problems stopped after about 2 weeks on Armour. Just recently went back to Synthroid - new doc said they have changed their thinking about dosages and I was probably not on a high enough dose to be effective.

Andrea - are you doing anything differently at night? Caffeine, late evening exercise, going to bed rehashing the day and keeping yourself awake?

QuilterInVA 10-11-2005 02:33 PM

That's a very small dosage, the smallest if I remember correctly. I'm on 300 mcg - the highest. Never had insominia. What is your TSH?

andreaphilip3 10-11-2005 09:14 PM

thanks guys...
nope nothin diff been on the syn for about a week. i did sleep much better the last 2 nights so im hoping my body will adjust. the rerason im on a low dose is b/c the dam blood tests keep coming back neg and ive had full tests performed more than ppl change underwear! honestly i think only reason pcp gave it to me is to shut me up and from a medical standpoint she knows that if nothing else itll keep the goiter i have from growing.

mrs.e333 10-31-2005 12:37 PM

Hi.I am new to the board.I was just reading about some of your problems sleeping.I take synthriod 5omcg. I have trouble getting to sleep.I was reading happy2bme,s post and she sounded just like me,feeling tired but when I get to bed I feel completely awake.My Dr. didn,t tell me that was a problem with synthroid.I think I,ll be having a talk with him.mrs.e333

Sheila53 11-06-2005 07:58 PM

I've been taking synthetic thyroid for over 30 years, and although I've never had a problem with insomnia, I now have a problem with osteoporosis. Because I don't have risk factors (not thin, not small-framed, no family history, etc.), my doctor believes that the thyroid could have been a factor. It's something you might want to talk to your doctors about, especially if you take high levels. My sister's doctor lowered her level as low as possible to still remain effective to hopefully avoid the osteoporosis problem.

Ari 11-09-2005 12:05 AM

I just started on synthroid a few weeks ago. I also had trouble sleeping the first few days, but my body adjusted. My doctor gave me a few days of Lunesta to help me get some rest. I've been on synthroid 3 weeks now and I'm sleeping better than I did before I was on thyroid meds.