Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:58 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Arthroscopic Surgery?

I'm scheduled for this on November 17. Has anyone had it? I am anxious about the recovery period. Any comments will be appreciated.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

I have had a 'Scope on my right knee twice. Plus a reconstruction. The first time I was 16. The second I was 23, I think. One of my relatives just had one, she is almost 40.

Recovery time depends on the reason for your scope. Mine was mainly for my ACL, both times. I started physical therapy about 1 week later. Was able to do some slow stationary biking with no resistance by then. Within another week I could bike fairly quickly with no resistance. Walking without crutches about 2-3 weeks after surgery. From there I ramped up pretty quickly to being able to run, but then I was fairly young and in VERY good shape at that time. I would guess you will be able to get to at least biking fairly quickly.

My relative had a cartilage problem in her knee, I think. She started physical therapy the very next day! And her mobility came back much quicker then mine. She also was able to start biking right away, and was off crutches much sooner.

Obviously I am not a medical authority but it shouldn't set you back too far.
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:59 PM   #3  

I had reconstructive knee surgery thanks to a torn ACL when I was in college. Obviously, that is more invasive than 'scope surgery but I think physical therapy is similar for both types. Recovery time will be directly proportionate to the effort you put in once you begin physical therapy. It can hurt but, believe me, it is nothing compared to the pain if you don't do the prescribed exercises and scar tissue begins to build up. The more range of motion you can regain early on the easier time you will have recovering.

I agree with skinnyjeans that you should bounce back fairly quickly as long as you follow your doctor's and PT's orders. Good luck!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote