Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-31-2005, 06:28 AM   #31  

Meme, where are you and how was the storm in TN? Mima
Mima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:01 PM   #32  

Default Hey There

I hope Meme wasn't in the path of that storm. Although it should have weaken by the time it got to her part of the state, I hope..
I hate my computer since they so called fixed it .It takes forever to open anything..Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:21 PM   #33  

Anne, I like fall too.
I can retire after next year. I'm pretty worn out this week, which I expected. I've napped each day after school.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 12:10 AM   #34  

They closed schools here yesterday but we just got a lot of rain and really strong wind. No power outage and no trees down. Lots of limbs and stuff. I stayed in all day and rested. I'm so tired. I'm still coughing and spitting blood but at least I know for sure now that it is my sinuses. I felt it sliding down the back of my throat this morning and I just spit it out without coughing and it was bloody so I know it came from UP and not DOWN. Still have the pain in my ribs in the back, too. I called and made yet ANOTHER appointment with the Dr. for tomorrow morning. He's going to give me something to knock some of this tomorrow or I'm not going back to him anymore. I'll find someone else who is willing to actually DO something. I had an ultrasound done on my neck last Friday and blood tests run on Monday and his office has not even called to let me know the results. I'm getting fed up with them.

The high school in Cookeville (8 miles from here) had a bomb scare this morning. Someone called and said there were 2 bombs inside. They got all the kids out and found one in the 1st floor girls bathroom and one in the 3rd floor girls bathroom set to go off at 11:30 ... lunch time. They disarmed them and told the kids they could come back to school but if they didn't they wouldn't be counted absent. If I were a student there, I'm not sure I'd want to go back the rest of the week!

Fall is my favorite time of year. I love the cool evenings, the sounds, smells and colors. The only things I don't like is it gets dark earlier and I always hurt worse when the season changes.
MemeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:29 AM   #35  

Yikes about the bombs. I read 2 e-mails about a friend's daughetr in LA. He is manager of the Marriot so he has to stay but she went to Houston to stay with a friend. She doesn't know about her house. I guess they are some of the lucky ones. I'm glad you got spared, Meme. My computer is slow too, Joanne. And I think the Internet is slow because of the demand. I have the runs!!! and I am supposed to go help Auntie rescue the cat!! We will see. I love the fall too. We will be here til at least the 15th of Oct. Bye for now Mima
Old 09-01-2005, 01:50 PM   #36  

Went back to Dr. this morning. Tests were ok except blood is very low. He wrote a perscription for prednisone and more cough syrup. He read me the riot act about how he doesn't like to prescribe steroids and then wrote the script for the prednisone ... got it home expecting it to be 5mgs of the 7,6,5,4,3,2,1 thing ... you know what I'm talking about. Well he did a whole different thing. Wrote it for me to take 3 a day the first 2 days, 2-day the next 3 days then 1-day the next 3 days and then 1/2-day the last 4 days for a total of 17 pills ... I'm still thinking 5 mgs. Opened the bottle and they're huge. He wrote it for 20 mgs. I've never taken 20 mgs. of Prednisone in my life. Most I've ever had is 10. I don't think he knows what the flip he's doing. I'm not taking that much of a steroid ... he's nuts. I'll cut them in half and take half of what he's got written out. If I take all that I'll be bouncing off the walls. I definitely need a doctor! I just don't know who to go to. The kids want me to go to their Dr. but he's really free on handing out the antidepressants ...
Old 09-02-2005, 04:52 AM   #37  

I think my Norton is part of my 'puter problem too! Will see a new doc finally but it takes a while to get in......

Meme...hope you are feeling better, didn't know you were so sick! Is your back nerve pain better?

Hi Happy..I do not like stuff to collect dust either but I learend that too late..already got a bunch of dusty stuff!

Joanne...we were hit by lighting before and it wipped everything electrical out in the house!

Tammy..hope you get a great class this year, might make it a bit easier on you!

Mima....Glad you had a good BD.
Candicej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:48 AM   #38  

Nice to hear from you Candice. Yikes on the prednisone-Another problem with it is osteoporosis. My Mom got that severely . Actually, she was addicted to prednisone and got into some serious trouble. It masks everything. I take 5 mg one day and then 2 and a half next. You are smart to cut dose in half. My stomche is better but it still hurts-gonna try to get the cat today. Those poor people in LA-they need Rudy Guiliani!!!I keep praying they get rescued soon. And get those lowlifes out of there!!! Bye for now Mima
Old 09-02-2005, 12:18 PM   #39  

I'm telling you ... knock on wood ... but I feel a little better already, just one day on the stuff. Mima, I didn't know you took Prednisone all the time. How in the world do you keep from gaining weight. I once gained 56 pounds on that stuff. They had me taking a lot of it, though, and for a long period of time ... and they didn't tell me it caused weight gain so I didn't have a clue why I was gaining. I only take it occasionally for something like what I have now or if I have a flare-up of the arthritis. I'll take it like the 7,6,5,4,3,2,1 dose in 5 mgs. Then if that doesn't work, maybe once every year or 2 I'll get so bad I'll have to have a shot. I usually get really hungry before I get off of it but even if I gain a couple of pounds it's easy to get it back off just taking it for a week or 2. It's worth it if it'll make me feel better! My back nerve pain is better ... now if my side would just get to where I can lay on it and on my back ... getting tiresome laying only on my right side!

So ... Joanne ... how's the bugs coming along??? I hate bugs. This is the time of year crickets start coming in my basement. YUCK! We need to have our house sprayed this year.

Tammy ... ARE you going to retire next year???
Guess Anne is still moving.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:53 AM   #40  

Good morning-finally went to doc yesterday because I was still having pains in my stomache. Well he gave me a different antibiotic. But....my blood pressure is 70/50. That's what Brad's was when they gave him an IV. So he is checking my thyroid which I think is low. I have all the symptoms. I am so lethargic. But first I went to help Auntie and the cat went partially in the trap so we are hoping next time!!! Stayed there for 90 minutes. This is not good for her!!! My aunt I mean. Have a good weekend everyone. Glad you are feeling better Meme. I take very little prednisone. Mima
Old 09-03-2005, 10:32 AM   #41  

Meme, we've had bomb scares at our school over the years, but they have all been pranks. Thank God that they all the kids got out,and the bombs were disarmed without anyone getting hurt. I just don't understand what is wrong with people. I think it is time for a different doctor. I'm not so sure that yours is doing the right thing.

Mima, that blood pressure sounds pretty low to me. Mine is like that sometimes in the summer when I'm out of school, but I'm on BP medicine for high BP.

Candice, I think my class will be ok. Out of the 27 students (got a new one on Thursday), I had 14 of them in 2nd grade (7 from my homeroom, 7 from the team teacher's homeroom). It's a pretty good group of kids. One stinker for sure. He is very active, can't sit still, and constantly making comments and bothering the others.
My new student is from the MH room. He had been in one of the other 4th grade rooms, but that teacher didn't know how to work with him so he whined to the principal. Enough said? Joel now has 25 in his class, and I now have 27. I also have the smallest classroom. Makes it interesting. I'm just smiling and going about my business. Don't want to stir up trouble already, but I was a bit disappointed with Joel.

Meme, this is my 29th year of teaching. Next year is 30. The State Teachers Retirement System told me that since I subbed before becoming full time, I only have to teach for 120 days next year to have my 30 years in. Bob and I have done a lot of talking about it. I'm not sure if I'll just go for the 120 days or go for the whole year. Alot of it depends on the class. That will be the group that I had last year, and they are the lowest and worst behaved class that I've ever had.

I've been doing laundry this morning, so lots of trips to the basement. I should just set up camp down there and get it all done. I have plenty of papers to grade, so that would keep me busy between loads. My mother used to stay down there instead of running up and down. She would take magazines with her.

Tim is out running errands for me. Filling the gas tank was one of the errands. I hate to see how much the price is today.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:59 AM   #42  

Default Hey There

Gas over 3 dollars here.. We won't be doing too much driving.
Meme- Find another Dr. predisone makes you retain water.. therefore weight gain..We took care of the bugs. You know when you live in the south you have to keep up the fight.
Tammy- I just talked to my daughter. She has one stinker too. disrespectful and acting out among other things. Parent not understanding and trying to pull the race card into play. A real mess. The principle is behind my daughter and he is black. I told her to put everything in print which she knew anyhow..
We have been stuck to TV lately.. Just can't believe what is happening in New Orleans and Miss.
Candice- I think the Norton has slowed down my computer too. It took an hour to retrieve messages yesterday!I was so digusted I turned it off and didn't read most of them. A lot was trash anyhow..
Mima- Hope you feel better soon.. Cloudy here but not much rain here on the coast..
Bye for now...Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 06:47 PM   #43  

Bob and I went out for supper tonight. Had a $10 coupon for the restaurant, so that balanced out the cost of the gas. At least that's our way of looking at it. It was nice to just go somewhere together and talk.

Joanne, the little boy in my class that is a stinker is bi-racial. We have very few non-whites in the school. I'm not sure if that bothers him so he tries to act "cool"?
Your daughter is lucky that the principal is supporting her. I am keeping a journal about all of the kids in the class. I'm sure this child's page will be longer than most.

I got a break from the laundry earlier today! The power went off. People a few houses down were cutting down a tree and one of the branches landed on wires. I graded papers and read the paper during that 1 1/2 hours that the power was off.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:59 AM   #44  

Good morning!! Gas down the street is 3.40 but we don't buy there. Brad takes my car when he can because the truck only gets 14 mpg. We wnt out to the Chinese buffet and saw March of the Penguins-Really good and awesome. I think the Chinese food helps my bp. Lots of salt. LOL on your class Tammy. The year I retired, I had 26 and about 6 were that bad. 10 were also Special Ed. I only made it til December!!! You will know!! Daughter is coming over today. She has made the break from her boyfriend. Hope she stays that way. Bye for now Mima
Old 09-04-2005, 01:46 PM   #45  

Well ladies, we are moved. I am sore, and in a flare. Also, fatigue and foggy So - all in all, NOTHING has changed

We have only a few more things to put away, but the walls need to be painted next week. So, I will have to wait, and it is now down to one room.

Meme - read that you were starting to feel better. That is good, but please, continue to rest and look out for MEME.

Mima - hope your tummy feels better soon. Our gas went to $1.14 a litre or approx.$4.56 a gallon(us gallon). Everybody is mad, because the gas comes straight out of Alberta. PRetty soon nobody will be able to afford to drive long distances, and we have LOTS of commuters in this area.

Tammy - So, only 120 days to go. Well, I guess it depends on how you feel. Perhaps you could go as a substitute teacher after that, so it isn't every day.

Joanne - Glad you got rid of those termites. The situation in New Orleans is unbelieveable. Just plain horror. It is hard to not watch to see what is happening, but it is also, so very depressing.

Hope you all have a good day.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote