Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-03-2005, 11:58 AM   #46  
A dieting diva!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosettastone
BBD: Gastroparesis is when the nerves in the stomach stop functioning. I started waking up in the morning with the previous night's dinner in the back of my throat - undigested - and sometimes I threw up. Went to the doctor and he diagnosed it. I now take pills (Reglan) before meals and before bed. Ugh. It's a side effect of diabetes (and not one I had ever heard of).
Yikes, Rosettastone. That does not sound like fun AT ALL. I am so sorry you have to deal with that. Do you find that there are certain foods that you must avoid? Is it like acid reflux, where some types of food make the condition worse?

I am lucky to be healthy so far, but in the back of my mind I am always waiting for the other shoe to fall. Two of my relatives died from complications of diabetes --- but they also neglected themselves to death. Still, it's not a pleasant way to go.

Hubby and I have gotten into a good regular exercise routine. We go to the gym and/or swim daily, and if we don't do that we go for long walks. When I overindulge, I try to exercise as soon as possible to bring my blood sugar down. And with gas prices so high, I'm thinking about getting bikes for us ---we could ride to the gym instead of driving!
BluebonnetDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 04:23 PM   #47  

Morning everyone..its raining today and im babysitting a very bored 7 yr old grdd..so i decided to teach her how to make clothes for her little beanie baby bear..just handstitching..kept her and i busy for hours but now grma needs a break so cartoons help..i finally got the results of my blood test.. my fasting sugar was 163 and the ac1 was 8.1..sooo instead of med changes the dr wants me to see a nutritionest and try by diet to get the ac1 to 7 and bs to under 140..shouldnt be to hard and any help or re-education will help..i know my eatings been out of control for a while now and maybe this is the wake up call i needed.. also need to get back the exercising thing too.. i really have not had alot of motivation lately..and am content with me the way i am thats not good isnt the news of the flood and huricane survivors just awful..i feel so sorry for them and wonder where are all those countrys that we have helped over the yrs?? how come they arnt rushing to our aid like the USA does for other disaster victims in other countrys???i want to help but can only do so with prayer and money donated to the redcross..when i see all that devastation makes me truly greatful for the family i have and my home etc.. on that sad note hope you are having a greatful weekend too..(((((hugs)))) rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:40 AM   #48  
stbakd

i am doing better. rosey try eating less carbs (bread potatoesand rice) they haave sugar. eat a balanced meal and three times a day. exercise and drink water.
glen
hefty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:56 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 280/275/150

Height: 5' 4"

Thumbs up Hi

Hello everyone

Rosette- are you sleeping on a wedge to keep the food from backing up?

Glen-glad you are feeling better.

I had two bouts of sweating reaction sweating today. The one time my sugar was 159 and later was 163-but i haven't seen numbers below 200 very often so assume that I will react less if I can keep my numbers low over time. Just so happy to be in the 100s.

Keep on keeping on-we'll get there.
oldwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:32 AM   #50  
A dieting diva!

Default Supplements that help

Have any of you tried some of the holistic medicines and supplements that are available? I'm a big believer in holistic medicine (though I also see an allopathic doctor). Lately I've done some research and have come up with the names of several supplements that are supposed to help lower your blood sugar:

Extract of Asian bitter melon (Momordica charantia)
Ayurvedic gurmar (Gymnema sylvestre)
Prickly pear cactus (Opuntia spp)

1,000 mcg / day of glucose tolerance factor (GTF) chromium is also supposed to lower blood sugar and suppress craving for sweets. (I didn't find that it helped my sweet craving, however).

400 mg/day of magnesium (a powerful antioxidant that can help lower blood sugar; it has also been studied in improving diabetic neuropathy at doses of 600mg a day, according to Dr. Andrew Weil).

100 mg/ day of alpha-lipoic acid at a starting dose of 100 mg.

I'm giving the bitter melon a try and have added extra magnesium (my multi-vitamin has some, but not enough). We'll see whether it has an effect!
BluebonnetDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:10 PM   #51  

Cool

BBD and Carol: My gastroparesis is under control as long as I take the Reglan before meals and at bedtime. I just need to be careful about portions. I got it because I had let my bs get out of control. That scared me straight for sure. I don't use a wedge. I use a CPAP machine but can only lay down part of the night (I get uncomfortable) and usually sleep reclining in a chair for the rest of the night. I have terrible sleep problems.
Carol - is the sweating because of the higher blood sugar or is it harmonal?
BBD: I've heard of the supplements recommended by Dr. Weil but not about the other remedies. Let us know how they work. Another one you might want to consider is co-enzyme Q10 - it's good for the heart.
Rosey - I'm sorry to hear about your A1C. Can you get back to Curves now that the summer is over? I hope the nutritionist helps. As for the N.O. disaster, I am horrified at what's happened. Actually, many countries have offered help, including Sri Lanka, which is a poor country still trying to recover the from Tsunami. The real problem is here in the U.S. - it was unconsionable to have left all those poor people in that horrible situation for so long. We have the resources necessary to take care of them, it's just nobody seemed to be in charge and knew what should be done -- and they should have. It's going to be a long time before all those displaced will have normal lives. Now I'll step down from the
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:10 PM   #52  

Hi everyone..just wanted to let you all know that i just got out of the hosp..i was helping my dh install a new door and the dang thing fell on me knocked me backwards and i hit my head on a small hutch..i have a concussion and spent the night in the hosp..im ok.. big lump on my head and stitches still having some dizzyness..nothing broken..boy was i lucky..so if im absent for a few days thats why..((( Hugs))) rosey
Old 09-07-2005, 01:17 AM   #53  

Red face Oh my goodness

Rosey, I hope you are feeling better. (((((hugs))))))) I will think about you often and pray for your recovery......
nosugarmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:33 PM   #54  

Cool

Rosey - Bumps on the head can be tricky. Take care of yourself and get lots of rest.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:52 AM   #55  

Unhappy feeling bad today

This is how I feeel today. I have not been eating right today at all. I had a sandwich and a bowl of cereal. Not much but that is all I could handle. I have heartburn everynight and am not getting alot of sleep. Went out today. But had to come home and eat cause my sugar was dropping. But I know that is because I did not eat enough today. Maybe tommorow will be better.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:16 PM   #56  

Default went to the doc today

Well I gained 5 lbs. since I have been off work.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:18 PM   #57  

Hi everyone.. im doing ok.. still have a cone head..but dizziness is gone..i was feeling sorry for my self today.the why me why did it happen etc etc.. and was watching Dr Phil about the huricane people.. and it all came into proper perspective.. im ok.. i had expert medical attention imediately..i have my home and the most loving family..im truly blessed.. think of all those poor folks..many laying days without medical help..loosing family and homes..im humble..no more pity party..just a bump on my head.. i have scheduled my dieticain classes for next week..an intitails one on one and 4 days of classes..i will share what i find out..nusugar am sorry you are having it ruff and for gaining the point is dont giveup..do you have any hobbies that you like to do to keep you busy? i love my crafts..also how about taking a pepcid ac befor bed it takes care of the heartburn..hang in there.. hello to everyone else(((((hugs)))) rosey
Old 09-09-2005, 03:57 PM   #58  
Pending Email Confirmation

Hello.... I have popped in here before but thought I would again, I am Alison and I am 28 living in the UK!

I was diagnosed today with type 2 diabeties have been dieting and exercising for around 4 months and dropped 22 lbs. Have not been all that good this past 2 weeks and gained 3lbs back...

I need to get back on track!
Mazarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 08:42 PM   #59  
stbakd

welcome alison. my legs are getting stronger.it's nice to have real food again.
glen
hefty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 12:43 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 280/275/150

Height: 5' 4"

Thumbs up Hi everyone!

The reason I use a wedge is I have a hiatial hernia. Without it I will have acid backing up into my esophagus and that could burn it. And, I am chesty and feel like they are trying to take my breath away. Also have asthma so feel a little short of breathing room at times.

My sweats for hormonal are a little different. I heard others whose numbers were higher had some sweating as they came down to lower numbers but that the body adjusts.

Hefty1-glad your legs are stronger.

Alison-you're doing wonderfully.

((((((Rosey and Nosugar)))))

I lost another pound-every little bit helps.
Have a nice Sunday.
oldwriter is offline   Reply With Quote