Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 06-22-2005, 09:26 AM   #1  

Default What if nothing works???

I'm sorry to whine, but I feel like I'm at the end of my rope. I am 31 years old, have hashimoto's thyroiditis, am prediabetic, hypoglycemic, and 5'4 and 160lbs. I feel like I have tried EVERYTHING for the last 20 years (yes, 20) to lose weight. I work out in my target heart rate zone for at least 45 minutes, 5X a week. I have tried restricting my calories (I once I ate 1200 calories for 4wks and didn't lose a single pound). I just finished two weeks on Michael Thurmond's body make over, which is a plan where you have no dairy, wheat, sugar, oil, or salt and I didn't lose a single pound. I always hear everyone say that losing weight is the easy part, it's keeping it off that's hard, but I've never actually lost the weight. Is anyone else like this? Did you ever find anything that worked for you?? I try to tell myself that the way I'm eating is healthier anyway and that exercise is good for my heart, but I would love to have the weight loss to go along with it. I would appreciate any information or support anyone has to offer.

Take Care,
Katy
KatyDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:44 PM   #2  
Absinthe girl

Default me too

Hi Katy!

I understand you, because I am in the same situation as you. I haven't been struggling with my weight for so long, but it still feels like an eternity.

I was naturally very lithe before my hyperthyroidism started. When doctors diagnose you with hyper they expect you to lose weight. ..well, I started gaining a lot of pounds (I put on about 25 in a year, more or less, now I'm down by a few). It was really traumatic and I look all funny because it looks like the major part of my body weight is centered around my belly and my face. Needless to say, I feel really bad.

I've been doing some research and I found out that the south beach diet is good for people with low thyroid function, because it shows you the appropiate carbs, I'm not sure if it could work for us, tho. I read in a book that some people with thyroid problems can get a "fatty liver". The liver starts acting like a storage unit for fats and it makes it difficult to lose weight. For these cases, a detox program should be followed first thing before you decide to diet introducing fats and carbs gradually.

Last edited by FeeVerte; 06-22-2005 at 07:52 PM.
FeeVerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 01:00 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyDes
I'm sorry to whine, but I feel like I'm at the end of my rope. I am 31 years old, have hashimoto's thyroiditis, am prediabetic, hypoglycemic, and 5'4 and 160lbs. I feel like I have tried EVERYTHING for the last 20 years (yes, 20) to lose weight. I work out in my target heart rate zone for at least 45 minutes, 5X a week. I have tried restricting my calories (I once I ate 1200 calories for 4wks and didn't lose a single pound). I just finished two weeks on Michael Thurmond's body make over, which is a plan where you have no dairy, wheat, sugar, oil, or salt and I didn't lose a single pound. I always hear everyone say that losing weight is the easy part, it's keeping it off that's hard, but I've never actually lost the weight. Is anyone else like this? Did you ever find anything that worked for you?? I try to tell myself that the way I'm eating is healthier anyway and that exercise is good for my heart, but I would love to have the weight loss to go along with it. I would appreciate any information or support anyone has to offer.

Take Care,
Katy
Do you lift weights? That can boost your metabolism and make you burn fat when you build muscle.

You might want to do a little research into caloric intake and fat loss vs exercise. If you're not eating enough calories you will maintain or even put on weight.

I eat 2000 calories a day [sometimes more], cycle and weight lift. The right amount of caloric intake, exercise and the added weight lifting is what has helped me the most. 1 pound of muscle burns 30 - 50 calories per day whether you are asleep or awake. Imagine what more than 1 pound of muscle would do to your fat reserves!

Check out the following web site for more info on weight lifting, caloric intake and weight loss:
ExRx (Exercise Prescription) on the Net
SOON2BE154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 03:42 PM   #4  

I hear you! I exercise at least 5 times a week, [somtimes free weights, sometimes cardio] I watch what I eat, I've tried a million diets [gained 3lbs on WW]...
Although I'd like to loose a good 20lbs, frankly, I consider it something of a success to not gain anything. The only thing I can take some comfort in, is that my blood pressure and resting heart rate suggest that I'm not actually in bad shape - the exercise does seem to be doing something, even if its not getting any fat off.
One bizarre thing that I have noticed - I gain weight when I'm cold; I assume because I eat more? [one more reason to hate my over air conditioned office!]
Charlotte2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:19 AM   #5  

I have you same conditions and have lost 200 pounds and maintained it. I worked with a registered dietician and she put me on a plan similar to Weight Watchers Core Plan. No white sugar, flour, rice, extra protein. And 1200 calories is too little and defeating the purpose. I ate 1500-1600 a day while losing. My doctor told me to to start an exercise program I could maintain forever and recommended just walking 2 miles a day. All I can say is it works for me. Being cold is a sign of decreased thyroid function and your meds probably need to be changed. I'm checked every 3-6 months and adjustments made to keep me with a TSH of 1-2.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 12:35 PM   #6  

Cool hypo woes

I am having many of the same problem. Before Hypothyroid problem I never seemed to have a problem. I did experience other problems that seem to be related but weight was not one. Since going hypo I steadily gained despite good eating, regular work outs etc. Tried alot- Atkins, south beach, slim fast etc. Am also dealing with IBS which limit fiber intake. would like to lose 20 - 25 lbs. The frustration is incredible.....

Debi
dlo2755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 02:28 AM   #7  

It took me 6 months of eating enough calories and the right type of foods to actually see results. I've read that it can take anywhere from 8 to 12 months to "heal" your metabolism after being on low calorie diets.

I've read an interesting book The 7 Secrets of Naturally Slim People and follow its recommendations along with BFFM. Now I am getting results - 19 inches lost in the since the 13th of June. I found the missing link in my nutrition program was starchy carbs such as yams, whole grain bread, potatoes, cereal, oatmeal, brown rice (I use white basmati which is low glycemic) and whole grains. Before I was eating them I didn't have enough calories but I thought I did. As soon as the missing food was in my nutrition program I began to lose inches. My best so far was 6 inches in 6 days!

I eat between 2000 and 2400 calories a day. I also eat about every 2 - 3 hours to rev my metabolism.
SOON2BE154 is offline   Reply With Quote