Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 03-23-2005, 11:43 AM   #1  

Default Friends with RA and OA #15

Morning Angel.

I know you were doing some research on foods. I just got the book I ordered, called "Eat and Heal" and I am sharing what they say about RA foods. This is from the book

Eat lots of Omega-3 foods. Best are cold-water, fatty fish like Salmon, Mackeral, Albacore Tuna, and Herring for the biggest boost. Between seafood suppers, try cooking with canola oil and making salad dressings with Flaxseed Oil.

Cut back on Omega-6. While Omega-6 reduces the number of enzymes in your body that promote inflammation, Omega-6 encourages your body to make more. This is a tug-of-war you want Omega-3 to win. To help it win, limit your intake of foods rich in Omega-6, like meats, processed and fast foods, and vegetable oils, like Safflower, Corn and Soybean.

Olive Oil - The fragrant oil turned up the big winner in a recent study from Greece. The researchers surveyed the eating habits of over 300 people in seach of foods that can benefit people suffereing with Ra. Of over 100 different types of food, Olive Oil came out the winner.

The monounsaturated fatty acids in Olive Oil appeared to work like Omega-3 fatty acids by helping to reduce joint swelling at the source. The oil's antioxidants could play some role, too.

Antioxidants - Speaking of free radical fighters, exciting new research suggests all antioxicants might relieve, or even prevent, RA. Rheumatoid sufferers tend to be overloaded with free radicals and low on antioxidants. This imbalance leads experts to believe free radicals have a hand in causing joint damage. Eating antioxidant rich foods could give the edge back to the good guys - the antioxidants.

There are a few leaders in the antioxidant army - SELENIUM, VITAMIN E AND RESVERATROL. In a recent study from Sweden, low selenium levels appeared to increase a person's risk of getting a certain type of RA Some experts think raising your Selenium intake, might help to reduce your swelling and pain. Low Vitamin E levels, on the other hand, raise the risk of all types of RA.

Boost your selenium levels with seafood, mushrooms, dairy and whole wheat. Rich soures of vitamin E include fortified cereals, vegetable oils, peanuts and fish.

Pumpkin Seed Oil - You can profit simultaneously from the powers of antioxidants and fatty acids when you cook with pumpkin seed oil. Sometimes called "green gold' this unusaloil contains Omega-3 fatty acids, as well as Selenium, vitamin E, beta carotene and other antioxiants called polyphenols. When you put all of these ingredients together, you get potent anti-inflammatory remedy. You can cook with it or use it to make your favorite salad dressing. Chefs prize "green gold" because of its unique nutte taste. If you have trouble finding this oil, you can order it through the mail.

Contact Green Gold in Austria by e-mail ([email protected] or visit their Web site at http://www.greengold.net

Ginger and Tumeric - Ease the inflammation and ache of your next flare-up with a pot of ginger tea or a heaping plate of curry. Turmeric, the leading spice in Curry, and ginger both contain curcumin, an antioxidant with pain-fighting pwers. In laboratory studies, Curcumin appeared to be as potent as NSAIDS, like Ibruprofen.

Water- Soothing your fiery joints could be as easy as drinking six 8 oz glasses of water each day. Water lubricates and cushions your joints. But stay away from sugary drinks. They can lead to weight-gain, which could make your arthritis worse.

A WORD OF CAUTION: Many Ra sufferes blame food allergies for their arthritis. The biggest culprits seems to be Tomatoes, red meats, citrus fruits, legumes and coffee. And yet, scientific evidence hasn't been able to show a connection. Cutting one suspicious food from your diet won't hurt, but it's a good idea to check with your Dr. before making any drastic food changes.

Sorry for any typos. Just passing on as a topic of interest.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:38 PM   #2  
Focus on the Process

S/C/G: 247/247/165

Height: 5' 8"

Anne,
I absolutely love your little dog picture and the Easter bunny kitty. I'm an animal lover and those were just too cute. Where did you get them?

As far as the food connection thing, I believe I have some that make me feel worse. I think fast food makes me ache more. I haven't eaten any for a few days and I feel alot better. I've been trying to cut out sugar and I don't really eat much for pasta or refined thing either. I have noticed a big difference. I could rack it up to coincidence but I think eating better and exercising more have helped me come a long way.

Barb-It was soo good to see you post again. Sorry to hear your business is still not doing so great. My dad's went like that for awhile and it seems for us, the first few months of the year are always a struggle. Thanks be to the little leagues baseball season and the summer vacation. Candy sales go up and my dad is less "cranky'.

Charlotte-Thank you for the prayers for my husband. I don't know what's going on with him and his doctor is fairly baffled by it all too. I think they should do another ultrasound and biopsy and maybe take out that pesky thyroid. He'd be on meds for the rest of his life, which is no different than it is now. Did you're blood work show any elevated liver counts or anything like that? When my liver was getting "poisoned" with the sulfasalazine, I felt awful. I'd sit up and get dizzy. I had no energy and I was nauseous and vomiting...it was strange. I felt like I was dying and no one really could grasp that. I must say the worst part was when they found out it was my meds. I had to be off of everything totally until my liver count went back down to normal. That was almost 2 months of sheer agony. I hurt so bad. I could barely get to a standing position and walking...Oh my gosh, every step was torture. I can't even begin to describe the level of pain I was in. It was excruciating. That's why these days...feeling good feels sooo darn GREAT!

Joanne-Where are you? Don't tell us you're spending all your time walking on the beach? I would sooo love to be where you are right now. We have snow falling and I would enjoy having some nice warm sand to squish between my toes and the smell of the ocean in my nose.

Here's to a "as pain-free as we can get" day!!!! I better go break up the little "fight" between the girls. They have colds and boy are they moody.

~chris
chrily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:58 PM   #3  

Default Hey There

Hello Everybody...I went up to my daughters for a few days. We went shopping and it was shop till you drop. One day we went walking on some North Florida killer hills. We walked about 5 miles. I barely made it back to the car. The beach has been dreary for a few days. I don't walk in the sand. It is too hard on my knees. I prefer walking on the hard road at the beach and from my house to the beach.
I bought lamb for sunday. Just family will be here.I hope it will work out better than Christmas .
Bye for now.. Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 01:46 AM   #4  

Cool

Hey everyone! I just saw this thread and decided to jump in, hope you guys don't mind! Anyway I'm Whitney, I'm currently being tested for either RA or lupus... I have horrible ankle, wrist, and knee pain...it's constant and I'm only 28 and have a hard time making it down the stairs in the morning I am currently still nursing my 16 month old, so I'm leery about taking any meds, although I do take motrin (800's) on my really bad days, and it takes the edge off a bit. I"m hoping that with some weight loss and some excercise it'll get better, but I'm not seeing much improvement, maybe I just have to lose some more weight! HA! Anyway I'm glad to see this thread, I hope you guys find some relief with your pain. I bought some books that might be helpful, "eat drink and be healthy" is a good one, I'm sort of using that guide to do my WW core program, and the other one is "eating for optimum health" by dr. weil. It has some really specific guidelines about different disorders and changing eating habits to help them. Anyway worth a look dr. weil also has a great website! Anyway have a great day everyone!
patriotsjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:02 AM   #5  

PATRIOTSJUNKIE!!

I'm so sorry you're in such pain. I sure hope you find out what's wrong & can get some help soon. This is a good place to come & talk when you're feeling down & need to vent. We all understand, because we all have chronic pain. I'm sure there are meds that you'll be able to take while nursing.

I have RA & OA, & currently being tested for more. Sometimes I forget I'm suppose to be on a diet, & just come to talk to my friends. I lost my weight a couple of summers ago, & was maintaining. But, some has creeped back on, so....back to trying to lose.

Please keep us informed how you are doing.

Happy Canuk...that was so sweet of you to post the information. Thank you so much! I was reading in WebMD about taking Cod Liver Oil & leaving off sugar making such a difference! Seems this lady had remembered her grandmother having RA really bad, & used an old remedy she remembered talked about through the years. Said she got so much better, & was back to working in her garden! I can't walk through a garden anymore, much less work in one. I heard that Fish Oil was good, but that the Cod Liver Oil was better...to take the liquid (capsules wasn't as good), put it in milk, or juice, or whatever to take the edge off. I just may have to try it. Also, everywhere I research, sugar is a big enemy of RA! Sugar is my largest addiction!! Going to be hard, but I've got to cut back. I'm going to copy & paste your post, so I'll have it. Again, thanks.

Hi Joanne...glad you enjoyed being with your daughter. We missed you. I thought maybe, you had gone visiting. I've never tasted lamb. I'm not a good cook, so would want someone else to cook it for me to try. I hope everything turns out well with your weekend.

Hi chrily...I don't know what the lab tests showed, other than "borderline" for a lot of things. I'm to keep my follow up appt for April 12th. They really stressed that! It irritates me when they just give me enough information to worry me, & not explain. I'm going to start requesting a copy of all test results & lab work. I can always do research to find out what it means. I sure hope I don't have to do without my meds! No one would be able to put up with me! I'm bad enough, as it is!!
I do hope your DH gets better. I'm praying hard for him.

Hope all of you have a good day...........
Angel-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:08 PM   #6  
Focus on the Process

Welcome Whitney!
You sound kind of like me. I started out with the pains at 27 and here I am 7 yrs later dealing with it still. Sorry to hear your in such pain. When they figure out what you have and how they want to treat it, you should feel so much better. It's the not knowing part that stinks in the beginning.

Okay...sorry so short everyone. Mini-melt down with the kids upstairs and I need to get dinner ready for all of them. I'll check back in a bit.

~chris
Old 03-25-2005, 05:02 AM   #7  

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I appreciate it hopefully soon we'll figure out what the problem is and we'll be on our way! It's tough w/ the kids being so little, but as I'm crossing my fingers, it does get easier right?! EEK!
patriotsjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:16 AM   #8  

Hello everyone......

I hope you all have a great day! I can't stay, got lots to do, but thinking of you all!

Hope the pain is minimal today! So far, this morning, I'm not so bad.

Old 03-25-2005, 10:42 AM   #9  
Focus on the Process

Whitney,
That was and still is the most difficult part for me...having little ones to take care of. I've had plenty of days were my hands hurt and I had no strength in them to use a can opener, brush my hair, fold clothes, pick up the little people, and so on. Once you get some medicine, it should get easier. I've been on Methotrexate for over a year now, and it's working really good for me. I have an occasional bout of swelling and pain (usually in my wrists now) and then I can go back to being "normal". There is lots of things that help. What helped me ALOT was losing some weight and exercising. Exercising is important...keeps those little joints from getting stiff. I'm guessing you're husband is in the service huh? Germany...WOW! Must be an interesting place to be. I have hardly been out of Montana. My sister's brother in law was supposed to go to Germany for a little while before they sent him to Iraq...but they put him straight over there. He's been there for 4 months I think. Anyhow, you found a really good thread to be on. These ladies have helped me out ALOT! They've listened to alot of my problems and rants and raves...and STILL like me...

Charlotte-Busy lady today huh? Well the kids are home for Easter break so I have a house full. Easter Sunday is over at my sister's house. We're going to our Easter service at church and then over to her house for dinner and an Easter egg hunt for the kids. Then later in the afternoon its over to my MIL"s house we go. Busy day. The service at our church is fantastic.

Well once again...the melt-downs are going on. Screaming and fighting. Tiana just got a call from her friend, and her dog died last night. She's really upset and crying and so is her brother...I'm guessing they might wander over this way too. Poor little honeys.

~chris
Old 03-27-2005, 10:15 AM   #10  

Old 03-27-2005, 06:58 PM   #11  

Default Hey There

I HOPE EVERYBODY HAD A NICE EASTER..IT WAS NICE HERE AT MY HOUSE..
By ....Joanne
Old 03-29-2005, 05:37 AM   #12  

Good early morning everyone...
It's a little after 4am, & I've been awake for well over 2 hours. Might as well get up. Something terrible happened at the TV Station that has me upset, & I couldn't sleep, so I thought I'd just talk about it a little, if you all don't mind.
I got to the station at 11:45 & immediately saw the side foyer door had been broken completely out! Later, found it was a block that had been thrown threw it. I went to the front door & let myself in, checking out the building. Everything looked fine. Nothing in either studio was disturbed, cameras, etc still there. The computers (we have several) were untouched, all monitors (tv sets) were all there. Brother Jones office was ok. So, I decided some mean kids probably had broken the glass door just for kicks. I went to the office that Connie & I share to call & report it, & found a terrible mess! All of the money (which was locked up) was gone, & the personal things on both of our desks had been knocked across the room & broken! They didn't do a clean sweep of the desks, knocking everything off, but went between the phones, adding maching, roll-a-dex, etc, to get to the pictures, angels, whatever we had, & destroyed it! (gee....looks like it's not meant for me to have anything anymore, especially my angels. )I fell all to pieces! I finally got myself together & called Connie & Bro Jones, who were still 5 hrs away...but, on their way back. He talked to me so calmly & reassuringly. If they had panicked, like I did, I'd never made it through!
After I called the police, I let two of the guys on staff know, & they came to be with me. My sister called in the middle of me talking to the police, & I told her why I couldn't talk....she sent my brother-in-law, who stayed all evening! I may have been alone at first for awhile, but had plenty of help for the rest of the day. The whole evening consisted of police investigation, dealing with insurance, getting the door replaced....etc. I was totally exhausted! Connie & Bro Jones got there around 5pm.
I stayed & went on with my program at 6pm, with my BIL helping me. I was still trembling, after all that time! It hurts so bad to know someone would take from a Christian Station, where everyone works so hard. Also, to know someone would do me & Connie that way about our personal things. Connie was scolding me for going into the building alone, when I found the door broken out........I didn't think about it, was just anxious to check things out.

Well...a bit of nice news. My sister called me Sunday morning to tell me I was on the front page of the newspaper! I've been nominated by the Chamber of Commerce to receive an award for "Volunteer of the Year"! I knew nothing about it, or expected it. I've been volunteering at the TV Station since '94, when it first came to our town. Also, singing at nursing homes. I felt like it was something the Lord wanted me to do, & wasn't expecting any awards. I have to admit, though, it made me feel kind of good. I received my letter yesterday from the Chamber of Commerce inviting to the banquet Thursday night. That's when the winners will be announced. All of the nominees will receive recognition, though! It's an honor to be just to be nominated.

I'm glad you all had a nice Easter. It was nice, except for the weather. Very stormy & raining. Everything worked out, though. DH & I don't plan much anymore, anyway....getting old, I suppose.

Chrily...take care of those hands. I thought of you the last couple of days. My hands have been bothering me more than usual & swelling. I don't have trouble with them very often, other than not being able to hold on to things very well.

Joanne...Happy you had a good Easter.

Happy Canuk...I'm not eating those healthy foods yet, but planning to.

Whitney...have you heard from your tests yet? I've got test results to hear from on the 12th of April. I thought I had enough with OA & RA!

Hi to everyone....have a pain-free day.....
Old 03-29-2005, 10:32 AM   #13  

Default Hey There

Angel- What a awful thing to go through. Don't take it personal ,they were just after the money. These kinds of things can shake you up a lot though.
What a nice thing the chamber is giving you. I am sure you deserve it.
Hello everybody...Joanne
Old 03-29-2005, 08:09 PM   #14  
Focus on the Process

Charlotte, I'm sorry! That just makes me sick to hear about what happened. I think the breaking of the personal items would have hurt me the most too. On the positive side of things....Congratulations! Volunteer of the Year. What an honor! I bet that surprised you esp. after all that. Have a great day and take care of those hands. Mine are feeling better. I havne't had to sew for a few days though...

Joanne-Glad you had a great Easter Sunday.

Whitney-Any news on your test results? Let us know. I'm kind of anxious to see what the doctor finds out.

Hi Anne and Barb! Hope your Easter was good too.

Our church service was a really great message. I enjoyed it and learned alot. Then we went to my sister's for Easter dinner and and Easter Egg Hunt for the kids. After that it was to my MIL's house for an evening appetizer thing. She didn't want to cook a big dinner. All and all it was a good day. Now I have to get back to behaving.

Kelly had an appt. with his doctor today to go over his test results. His doc. thinks his problem with his triglycerides is caused by a genetic liver problem. Nothing to do for it...except lose weight. He's probably about 40 lbs. overweight. So looks like we both have something to work on. Kayla tells everyone her mom is getting a new body, and that she gets to pick out my new clothes when I do. I don't want to disappoint her but it seems like an awfully big claim to fulfill. Please...I need some inspiration and will to do this. I want to be healthier for my kids. I also need more patience with them. They are so out of hand and it seems like there is no help for me. I tried to get into a parenting class at church but it was full already. I don't know if I can handle another 2 months of this. I just don't know what to do with it all. Seems like everything is falling apart at the seams.

Well I better go find me something for dinner. The kiddies got a pizza from Little Caeser's...Thank Goodness, I can't eat pizza. It sure smells good.

~chris
Old 03-29-2005, 09:57 PM   #15  

Oh Chrily....hon, I wish I knew how to help you. Is there no one to give you a litte break, sometimes? That's something we all need, is just to get off to ourselves & refresh a little. If I was close by, I'd help, if I could at all. Hang in there, & be strong. As far as losing weight....I'm totally out of control, myself. The more junk food I eat, lately, the more I want! I get mad at myself afterwards, but, can't seem to help it. I don't think you'd disappoint Kayla by not losing weight....but, by not buying new clothes for her to help with. A child loves us unconditionally....I don't think they see the weight. It's the adults that are so judgemental.
Please take care of yourself. Don't beat up on yourself for not losing weight as fast as you think you should.....you're not alone. I'll pray you have the strength to do what you have to do. Being a mom is a big job! Praying for DH, also.

Joanne...thanks for the compliment. I don't know about deserving the award. Should we receive an award for something we love to do? Besides, my reward will come later.
I'm afraid I am taking the break-in personal. So is Connie. It was just so clear they wanted to hurt us, by destroying sentimental things we had. I have a gigantic headache today! I'm sure things will get better.

Hope all have a good evening.....