Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 10:30 AM   #1  

Red face

Anyone batteling weight and high blood sugars?
Old 05-16-2001, 05:19 PM   #2  

PeachyMom,

Can't believe there are no other diabetics on this board. Pretty amazing.

Yes, I do battle with weight loss and diabetes and seem to have the upper hand at the moment. I've lost 50 pounds and I am off 1/2 of the diabetic drugs I was taking before the weight loss. It is possible to bring this disease under control.

Tell me what you are currently doing about diet and diabetes?

Take care,
- Jim
Old 05-16-2001, 08:46 PM   #3  

Well Jim I am a dieter from way back when. I think I have tried them all. Right now I am walking daily and really watching what I eat. The meds I take are Glyburide 6 mg. and Glucophage XR 500 mg. My blood sugars have been between 130 and 157 for the past 4 weeks. My Doctor is pleased.
50 Lbs. WOW that is great how did you do it???
Have a great day!
Old 05-17-2001, 10:31 AM   #4  

PeachyMom,

I started WW123 last year at the end of May. I wanted to take it off fast but my doctor told me to take it in stages and let the body get used to the new weight and size, so that's what I've done. The WW plan allows too many carbs for a diabetic diet, but by cutting back on carbs and refiguring for additional protein, the Point system works fine. This will be slow, but that's the way I put it on. This has become my life's work. I'll eat like this the rest of my life. And that's OK.

You have a great day, too.
Take care,
- Jim
Old 05-18-2001, 09:02 PM   #5  

Jim tell me a little more about the Weight Watcher plan that you follow. How much more protein do you add? Well I have done pretty good about walking rhis week. I have walked about 1 1/2 miles each evening. Plus I have done a good bit of yard work this week.
Hope you have had a great week!
Enjoy your weekend!
Old 05-19-2001, 12:34 AM   #6  

Hi PeachyMom,

I do the WW program too and Jim is right about too many carbs. I had to adjust it to fit my diabetes but it hasn't been a problem and I've lost 75 pounds since January 2000. I'm a type 2 diabetic (for 19 years) and have been insulin dependent for almost 9 years.

Our diabetic group has dwindled. There used to be a lot of us that posted regularly.
Old 05-19-2001, 09:36 AM   #7  

WOW.....75 lbs. Janet that is wonderful!
Please tell me a little more about what you do different on the WW plan. I have done WW in the past...and is the only diet plan that I have any luck on. And I do need to get back on track.
Old 05-19-2001, 11:39 AM   #8  

Hi,

I had to experiment with the portion sizes of complex carbohydrates to find what I could eat without raising my blood sugar too much. I do best with 1/2 cup portions of rice, mashed potatoes, and pasta, or 4 oz. of a baked potato. I make sure I have 3-4 points of fats like margarine or mayonnaise daily.

I don't eat beef every often, maybe once a week I have a burger from Sonic. I eat lots of chicken and fish. I don't eat fruit or drink juice very often because it raises my blood sugar so fast. Milk products will too, so I use calcium chews daily and only use 1/2 cup skim milk when I have cereal. Occasionally I will have yogurt, but I have to take a little more insulin or exercise a little more to keep my blood sugar from shooting up. I've been using more soy products too.

I think more than anything though, it's just sticking to the amount of points you are allowed with the WW plan--portion control! You are learning to eat healthy and making better food choices for your weight loss and your diabetes. It's like they advertise with WW--making lifestyle changes. And it really is. You feel so much better eating healthier.

That's about the only changes I had to make. I have to eat a lower fiber diet because of gastroparesis-nerve damage of the stomach from diabetes-so I don't eat a lot of raw vegetables. Lettuce doesn't seem to hurt my stomach as much though so I eat salads. And I cook my vegetables pretty soft.

Be sure to get enough fat in your diet too. We tend to want to cut it out too much, but you need it to lose weight, and if you aren't getting enough you will have problems with your hair, nails, and constipation too.

Most days I only take 5 units of insulin. When I started WW 16 months ago I was taking 140-170 units daily.

So for me, less carbs, a little more protein, don't forget the fat, drink my water, and exercise! It works.
Closed Thread