Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-14-2004, 09:07 AM   #31  

Smile hi girls

well today is the start of the weekend for me. i always have tues. and wed. off. work every other weekend. i have alot of laundry and cleaning to do. was doing op and my dh decided he knew how to make moo-lattes.m-m-m very good but not op.
the hints have been good. anyone ordered cokke syrups off internet?they are so expensive around here.
hope everyone is doing great will catch up in a few days. pat
paperdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:43 AM   #32  

Well today is Tues. and that is weigh day for me. And the scale has refused to move. But I'm trying to keep all three chins up that alone should burn a few calories
Rosetta glad to see you back. To tell you girl, right now I wish I were in SF with you. This Ivan thing is really got us all in a tissy down here in the south. So tonight it will be plenty of storm prep around my place. So much for the pool.
And wow is moose good to eat. I thought we ate everything in Louisianna. Sounds like that should be really low in fat. How dose it taste. Rosey you must have one of those real outdoors men we all hear live in Alaska. You lucky girl. My dh thinks hunting is standing in front of the fridge seeing whats leftover from dinner the night before.
Well I've Got another busy day at work. Check you gals later.
Deb
2round is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 02:07 PM   #33  

Smile

Hi from rosey..that was to funny deb..yes my dh is one of those rugged outdoor types..sometimes a neanderthal he hunts and fishes and has all the big boy toys to accomplish that and he loves it....airplane, snow machine, 6 wheeler, 4x4, cabin in the woods ,etc etc moose is alot like beef only leaner..i love it..good luck on your weigh in..it cold here this am and had to turn the furnace on.. the leaves are changing color too.. we have short summer and long winter..curves went well yesterday and im going to increase my workout on wed ..as i said befor i couldnt do everything yet.. the lo carbs thing is still a struggle im working on an order for greeting cards.. the lady wants 300 of them this will take me awhile..but i enjoy it.. hope you all have agreat day rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:26 PM   #34  

Akrosey. You have the creative talent, so I hope you are proud of yourself. You should be, it is quite a gift. Question, What does one serve with Moose? Moose parmesan and spaghetti-Moose paddies and mashed potatoes---???? just kidding, it sounds to me you have a good full life and a manly man for a hubby. Talk to you soon
patsygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:58 PM   #35  
Walking by faith

Smile Hello

I've been lurking around this thread for a couple days. My name is Joanne (homebound), and I'm not diabetic, but I'm borderline . I'm 54 years old, no kids at home; just me and DH. I'm partially paralyzed (right leg-due to ruptured disc), hence the name homebound. Right now, I'm recovering from a broken right ankle, and 5 1/2 weeks of hospitalization for a bone infection. I'm watching my weight by limiting portions, trying to cut back on carbs, and just eating healthy.

2 Round: I noticed your post is from Louisiana. You guys are in our prayers. I live in SE Georgia, and we've had close calls with both Charley and Frances You also mentioned that you have neuropathy in your left foot-I have it in my right; and it's the pits My Dr. has me on Neurontin and Baclofen-they help some.

Somebody mentioned moose? I used to live in Maine, and there were a few people I knew who liked moose steak-I'll pass, thanks!

I'll be dropping in again soon!
Stepping Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:59 PM   #36  

Cool

Hi ladies. Deb -- I'll say a little prayer that Ivan misses you and your family. In the meantime, keep your chins up. Rosey, what a talent you are! 300 cards -- all handmade. Wow.! I have a suggestion for your moose: grind it and put it through a sieve then cook it in a mousse pan. Put a French sauce over it and call it "moose a la mousse." Joanne - welcome to our thread. What a trial you have had and are still having. It's hard to lose weight when you aren't mobile but not impossible. Rather than worry about carbs right now (except the obvious - bread, desserts, etc.) I would recommend strictly controlling calories since your calorie burning is presently very constricted. The WebMD site has a calorie calculator where you can figure out how many calories you need to maintain present weight depending on your activity level. If you stay under that then you can lose weight.
Have a nice evening all.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 11:20 AM   #37  

Good morning all. And Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers. We spent all last night getting everything tied down and ready for the big blow. We are hoping to be on the goodside of this thing, if there is one.
Joanne glad you decided to join in. I also take Neurontin and Baclofen, and there are still good and bad days, but I've learned to live with it, and do the best I can. The suggestion from Rosetta is great on just watching your cals. for now. If your borderline the weight is a real key. I wish I had done something sooner so I wouldn't be in the spot I'm in now. But so much for that. Gald to have another Southern Belle in the group.
We have laid in supplies in case we loose power here and I'll be trying my best to stay op as much as possible.
If I'm out of touch for a day or 2 don't worry I'll be back soon.
Love ya much!
Deb
Old 09-15-2004, 11:31 AM   #38  
Walking by faith

Smile Good Morning all

Rosetta: Thanks for the nice welcome and the good advice! I'll have to check out the WebMD site There are some exercises I can do even in my chair-not exactly Cardio but at least I'll burn a few calories

2 Round: I have good days and bad days too. Stress, activity level; lots of things can effect it. I do the best I can too-and rely on God's grace to get me through the tough days. I'm praying for y'all on the Gulf Coast-Ivan needs to GET LOST!

Hope everyone has a good day !
Old 09-15-2004, 11:51 AM   #39  

Red face

Hi from rosey..gee i am up with the birds this am sometimes have trouble sleeping hope the hurricane doesnt affect any of you..that would be scary to go thru keep safe everyone...today is exercise day and cant think of any excuses to not go have been working on the card order..i have always tried to use my crafts to make extra..and have had some success at it..do any of you do crafts?? i would go nuts if i didnt have them to do..the winters are long in alaska where we are and it helps to have projects..have a great day everyone..lets all try and do one thing diff today that will make us healthier..im going to increase my exercise routine today..i still cant do all the machines or workout..my daughter goes with me and pulls me out of the machines as she exercises in front of me..the curves machines and exercise pads are set in a circle and you are suppose to go around 2x..the machines that are leg lifts i cant do yet but im working on it..its hard for a 300+ women to exercise..and everything hurts but they tell me it will get better..anyways i will check in later to see what you all come up with..i just love sharing with you all..
Old 09-15-2004, 02:22 PM   #40  

Default So glad I found you!!!!

Hello, Soooooooo glad I found all of you! I have just been told I have Type 2 Diabetes and not dealing very well with it, closing in on my 60th birthday and sure don`t have the energy I use to. My sons have all moved away and I am divorced so cooking is not for me. I did very well on Atkins low carb until I had to add other foods on the second part of it, now I just want to keep my carbs low so I can lose weight. No medicine as of yet my doctor feels I can do it with diet and exercise.I use to run so I`m hoping to get back into that. May I ask "When you were told you have it did you get angry or upset?? Would really like some input. Thank You
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 06:58 PM   #41  

Red face

Hi from rosey.. welcome meadow am glad you found us..yes i was angry and upset and cried when i was diagnosed.. and then i got on with living withit..its scary at first.. and i hated taking all those meds..my dr said we are lucky they have all these meds today that can keep us healthier..so every day is a struggle..you are entitled to feel angry and scared..if i was there id give you a big hug and ask you to come to curves with me..anyways you hang in there learn all you can and vent with us we are here to help each other..and every one has such neat ideas like taking cinnamon to lower sugar levels..i never knew that but use it every day now..by the way i did increase my exercise today and boy am i sore now but happy that i succeeded ill check in later (((((((hugs))))) rosey
Old 09-15-2004, 08:51 PM   #42  

Cool

Hi Meadow -- welcome to the thread. Yes, I was depressed and angry when I was diagnosed about ten years ago. I shouldn't have been surprised because my mother developed it when she was in her 50s. I was mad because I thought I had another ten years to clean up my act. Come to think of it, I'm still p.o.'d and depressed. Especially having to take meds and having to be careful about eating enough to keep the sugar on an even keel. So you came to the right place. We are all trying to deal with it the best we can. If you can get back running regularly you will be able to stay off meds for a long time. Rosey -- you're going to be doing the whole circuit at Curves in no time. It's great that your dd is there to help and encourage you. Joanne - have you heard of Miriam Nelson's book - Strong Women, Strong Bones. It shows you how to weight train and has exercises with weights that chairbound women can do. She also has one on weight loss and another on nutrition. They're really good books.

I know we're all thinking of Deb (2round) hunkered down there in Louisiana waiting for Ivan to get on his way. Hope you're on his "good" side Deb.

ttyl
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:27 AM   #43  

GOOOOD Morning Boy was it a blessing to wake up this morning and find out we just missed the brunt of Ivan. I'm still praying for those just to the east of us.
Medow I don't think anyone is happy when they find out their whole life has to change because od diabetes. But I'm here to say again that we're glad your with us and together we will learn to live with our condition. I really am inpressed that your a runner. And that's great, excersie helps keep suger levels under control. I do good to jog my memory.
And Rosey a big kudos for you on increasing your workout. Your doing great I know your proud of yourself and you should be. Just give thouse sour spots a good hot shower and keep up the good work. You make me want to do a lillte dance.
Well I'm sticking to plan and I'm going to see if I can get the dh to take a little walk tonight after dinner. Ivan has helped keep the temps down and I could get MY body moving.
Hope yall have a great day!
Deb
Old 09-16-2004, 01:04 PM   #44  
Walking by faith

Smile Good day ladies

2 round/Deb: I'm glad you're here! Ivan the Terrible is on his way out! I post on the Depression board, and there are a couple of ladies from Louisiana there too-I'm glad you came through the storm o.k.

Rosetta: Thanks again for the heads up. I checked out "Strong Women, Strong Bones" on Amazon.com, and I think I'm going to go ahead and order it

Meadow: 3 Fat Chicks is a super site! I'm glad that they have forums that deal with so many different issues. It's good to have the support of others who've been there.

I cooked a low cal meal last night, and my DH loved it! (Ham & Potato Casserole-from an old TOPS monograph). He needs to lose weight too, but he's not as motivated as I am. I need to look for more new & interesting receipes. I'm sure not cooking 2 different meals-one is about all I can handle

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 09-16-2004, 09:13 PM   #45  

Smile evening ladies

my work day is done. i took the cat to the [shots] shes a baby yet. then i got my hair cut.can't stand having it hanging in my eyes, so how is everyone doing i finally moved the scale after a 5 months of just not moving. i lost 3 lbs.
deb it looks like the brunt of ivan missed you but i am sure you had some effects?
rosey i love crafts . how do you do your cards? stamping?
joanne welcome nice to see more faces.
meadowlark welcome also. yes it is hard to face up to diabetes just be smarter than i was. i denide it and ended up on alot of meds that made me gain weight and iot is hard to take off.
patsy thanks for the dottie website it is very informative.
rosetta thanks you always give such good advice.

lastly question? anyone else got pets? everyone have a good nite and a good weekend. pat
paperdoll is offline   Reply With Quote