Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/170/130

Height: 4'11"

Thumbs down Gastritis - So annoying!

This is more a vent/rant than anything...

This never happened to me before until the early part of this year. I suppose my diet and stress levels are pretty bad (ok, yes, they very much have been) that I've been dealing with gastritis on and off.

The last time I went to urgent care for it (because I couldn't get an appointment with my doctor asap), the doctor at the facility constantly stressed to me that I need to avoid fried foods, acidic foods, and stress. It's been nearly impossible to avoid stress with how (horrible) my job is going. She prescribed me 2 different medications for them and after taking them for about a week or 2, I felt much better. Changing my diet helped things too.

But then I fall back into the bad habits of eating tons of junk food and stressing to death over work and everything else going on in my life, so here I am totally going through gastritis again.

Loose stool. Stomach cramps/aches. Fun stuff! Luckily, I still have a lot of the medication left to take. I just started taking them again moments ago, so I hope this resolves it once again... and this should really scare me away from junk food.
SlytherinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 179/ticker/135

Have you tried eliminating dairy and wheat products? My system is much improved.
kris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:56 AM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I can totally relate to this- I had gastritis so bad for 5 months last year, it was horrid and they couldn't find the cause for so long. The healthier I ate, the sicker I got. They finally figured out I have a serious gut dysbiosis and have developed food allergies and food sensitivities. I had to completely change my diet, for a while I could only eat 3 foods. Even now, I'm only up to about 40 foods I can eat. Anyway- I just wanted to say you have my sympathy and empathy and I sure hope you get better ASAP! Stay strong and stay away from those trigger foods!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:07 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris2008 View Post
Have you tried eliminating dairy and wheat products? My system is much improved.
I don't consume as much dairy as I should, to be honest. Maybe I can look at eliminating wheat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
I can totally relate to this- I had gastritis so bad for 5 months last year, it was horrid and they couldn't find the cause for so long. The healthier I ate, the sicker I got. They finally figured out I have a serious gut dysbiosis and have developed food allergies and food sensitivities. I had to completely change my diet, for a while I could only eat 3 foods. Even now, I'm only up to about 40 foods I can eat. Anyway- I just wanted to say you have my sympathy and empathy and I sure hope you get better ASAP! Stay strong and stay away from those trigger foods!
If you don't mind me asking, what foods can you eat? And what do you have to stay away from?
Old 09-13-2017, 01:33 AM   #5  
Here to Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlytherinGal View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what foods can you eat? And what do you have to stay away from?
My case is unusual but it happens. My gut developed a dysbiosis where I had only 1 of the 3 good bacteria that should be present, and had 3 bad bacteria that shouldn't have been there. As a result, I developed food allergies to corn and garlic, and sensitivities to histamine (present in all aged foods- cheese, bacon, wine, etc) and to salicylates (present in most fruits, vegetables, spices). Initially all I could eat was lamb, rice, and pear. Now I can eat most fresh meats except pork (but fresh, not aged). For fruit I can have pears and bananas. I can have rice. And for veggies, I can have cabbage, bok choy, white potato, brussel sprouts, carrot, sweet potato/yam, acorn squash, spaghetti Squash, asparagus, beets, leeks, kale. Some of these are medium salicylate foods that I can't have every single day, but I can eat them. If I start having problems I go back to the lamb, rice, pear diet for a day or two. I avoid high salicylate foods and all histamine foods like the plague, I also avoid wheat products (I don't think I have a sensitivity but I feel like crap when I eat them), and I eat absolutely no processed food and no restaurant food. All my meals I prepare myself. I freeze some so I can eat them later, because freezing slows the aging (histamine).

I'm definitely not suggesting you do this- your trigger foods are undoubtedly different than mine.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:34 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
My case is unusual but it happens. My gut developed a dysbiosis where I had only 1 of the 3 good bacteria that should be present, and had 3 bad bacteria that shouldn't have been there. As a result, I developed food allergies to corn and garlic, and sensitivities to histamine (present in all aged foods- cheese, bacon, wine, etc) and to salicylates (present in most fruits, vegetables, spices). Initially all I could eat was lamb, rice, and pear. Now I can eat most fresh meats except pork (but fresh, not aged). For fruit I can have pears and bananas. I can have rice. And for veggies, I can have cabbage, bok choy, white potato, brussel sprouts, carrot, sweet potato/yam, acorn squash, spaghetti Squash, asparagus, beets, leeks, kale. Some of these are medium salicylate foods that I can't have every single day, but I can eat them. If I start having problems I go back to the lamb, rice, pear diet for a day or two. I avoid high salicylate foods and all histamine foods like the plague, I also avoid wheat products (I don't think I have a sensitivity but I feel like crap when I eat them), and I eat absolutely no processed food and no restaurant food. All my meals I prepare myself. I freeze some so I can eat them later, because freezing slows the aging (histamine).

I'm definitely not suggesting you do this- your trigger foods are undoubtedly different than mine.
Thank you for this! It's definitely a diet I should be on, based off what my doctors have told me in the past. The big thing was absolutely staying away from processed food and no restaurant food, particularly anything fried and greasy. I haven't been doing too well there, so I need to practice much better self-control *sigh*
Old 09-29-2017, 12:56 AM   #7  
Here to Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlytherinGal View Post
Thank you for this! It's definitely a diet I should be on, based off what my doctors have told me in the past. The big thing was absolutely staying away from processed food and no restaurant food, particularly anything fried and greasy. I haven't been doing too well there, so I need to practice much better self-control *sigh*
I hear you. People think I have self-control by sticking to my diet, but I don't. I have self-preservation. I guarantee you if I wouldn't suffer nearly immediately for going off plan, I'd be gorging on a greek pizza right now. LOL. Man, I miss cheese.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:55 AM   #8  

Gastritis is a sign that your stomach acid is not low enough. This leads to digestive issues, food allergies, etc.
Mrs. Fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:56 AM   #9  

DGL and mastic gum heal gastritis.
Mrs. Fat is offline   Reply With Quote