Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:53 PM   #1  

Default Weight loss and mental health

Hello everyone
I have noticed for myself every time that I try to lose weight I do really well and stay on plan with whatever I'm doing until I feel like I notice a difference in my body. Then I become unmotivated I don't know if I'm scared that it's actually working or what is going on mentally that I'm not letting myself continue I'm just wondering if anyone else deals with something similar
Shellyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:39 AM   #2  

This kind of thoughts are quite natural however keeping your mind strong is the best way to keep the motivation.
FattoFitIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'10"

This may be a little late on the reply, but this is absolutely normal.

Personal experience: When I first started seeing changes in my body after beginning to lose weight, I was happy of course, but I quickly came to realize that, yeah, I was changing. I was already looking different from my mental picture of myself, and I realized on a primal level that if I continued to lose weight, I was going to have to make changes to how I see myself and even to my self-identity.

Even though in principle, making those changes are the very reasons we're trying to lose weight, it's scary to think of just how much is going to change. I don't know if that's specifically what you're going through, but I want you to know that this is not something that you're alone in. Try googling "phantom fat" for some of the full, dramatic effects people have psychologically when they lose weight. The important thing here is to accept yourself for who you are, and if losing weight is something you're committed to, to keep going even when it's tough. You can do it.
Keika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 242/234/145

Height: 5'8"

Self-sabotage can happen at every level.. maybe you need to focus on positive self-talk? For example, telling yourself you deserve (whatever your goal is). In my experience, I've stopped early because I felt so accomplished that I felt that it was ok to stop early. In the end I realized that I wasn't where I wanted to be. Or, it could simply be that you haven't put in enough time into your new habits? Try and trust the process. Hope this helps! Best of luck.
FitBritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/210/125

Height: 5'5"

I don't get satisfied with myself when I lose, but I do get anxious. I once heard Dr. Oz say to remind ourselves that just because we're changing how we eat we don't have to feel like we need to change our whole life. It helps me to know that. I've always hated the phrase "life style change." Or when people start saying I'm a whole different person, now.

I remind myself that even if I reach my goal, I don't have to start a different style of dressing, go out more often, say yes to any male attention, take a night course, start a hobby or learn TaiChi. I can still come home and watch TV in my old sweats, I don't have to become some sort of amazing Superwoman.
FluffyFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:33 PM   #6  
Jesus, I trust in You

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyFat View Post
I don't get satisfied with myself when I lose, but I do get anxious. I once heard Dr. Oz say to remind ourselves that just because we're changing how we eat we don't have to feel like we need to change our whole life. It helps me to know that. I've always hated the phrase "life style change." Or when people start saying I'm a whole different person, now.

I remind myself that even if I reach my goal, I don't have to start a different style of dressing, go out more often, say yes to any male attention, take a night course, start a hobby or learn TaiChi. I can still come home and watch TV in my old sweats, I don't have to become some sort of amazing Superwoman.
I never thought of it this way. I like this. (I never liked "lifestyle change" either.)
Thank you for sharing, FluffyFat. ! It definitely takes away the overwhelming sense that I need to reinvent myself. I still like the same things: I don't need to compromise my current lifestyle by feeling that I have to go and find new activities, etc. just because the pronouncement:"now you can" is written as the new norm by diet experts.

Last edited by MorningGlory1950; 04-30-2017 at 04:37 PM.
MorningGlory1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:26 AM   #7  

I find myself looking forward to seeing what the scale says...yet I rely solely on when I go to the doctors office. I have never had a scale at home...but I will be getting one soon Bc I need to have some kind of validation or reprimanding once in awhile. I don't see anything I need any way, I use focus on "This is what I want, how and why will I get there". I refuse to diet...but I know that increasino activity and eating better will help accomplish what I want. I spent over 5 years intimately with agoraphobia....depression , grief and rage. I may not super sayaon, experienced or now cured....we all need to just relax....let ourselves do Thisbe journey with kid gloves...because if we don't we risk no to doing it all....being overly critical of any progress and backsliding more often. Each and every on each of us are unique.
Tayfam8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:03 AM   #8  

Losing weight will have different effects on different people, but research has indicated that weight loss can have notable benefits for mental health. A study published in 2003 investigated the relationship between depression and obesity. The trial involved 487 patients who undertook a depression inventory questionnaire before and every year after receiving weight loss surgery. It was found that severely obese individuals were at high risk of depression, particularly younger women with poor body image, and that improvements in mental health could be seen with weight loss.
alex25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:06 PM   #9  

Diet and exercise need to be forever. not just for a few months
Molly Larkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:18 AM   #10  
I'm on a Mission

S/C/G: 375/297/200

Height: 6ft

The mental aspect of weight loss is the biggest reasons of failure.

It's so EASY to get demotivated.

So I think it's important to have something that keeps us motivated.
Unapologetic Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:50 PM   #11  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I think most people naturally have a limited amount of willpower and that we can burn out after a period of time on a program. I think that's one of the reasons why really successful programs are more of a permanent lifestyle change and not just a diet, and why to be successful it helps to remove the need for willpower as much as possible. One tip you'll hear often is "don't shop hungry" because that's when you'll buy junk food and stuff. Eat before you shop, and then you buy only healthy food, and then there's no junk at home which removes your need for willpower when you are at home. That sort of thing. I follow this. Also I use this website, Sparkpeople, a number of Facebook pages, etc. to keep motivated. I like looking at fitness memes and reading fitness articles. There's a short book called "The Strangest Secret" that says, essentially, we become what we think about. So I try to surround myself with things that keep me focused on my health.

Also, if you can build activity in to doing something you love- so that no willpower is really required- then all the better. If you love to dance, or hike, or geocache, or swim or whatever- build your exercise around that activity so that it doesn't feel like exercise but instead feels like FUN!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:11 PM   #12  

Some inspirational quotes:

When you feel like quitting, think about why you started
Secret of success is never to give up.
Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.
jab123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:10 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 180/165/145

I used to get satisfied after a week or two of consistent weight loss and then stop for unknown reason. I realized that it took me a week sometimes more to get back on track mentally. After trying new routines I finally found the one I love. This made my workouts fun and the meals were gradually reducing in calories so I had more energy. Tried different kinds of natural foods and started hiking to free up my mind.

So far it has worked really well. Hope you take it easy on yourself give some mental room and time.
SSnooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:00 AM   #14  

Self-sabotaging old traumas are frequently at the bottom of obesity and mental disorders. Once you lose weight these trauma can get triggered, making you feel bad. If you want to address effectively the root problem deal with early life trauma.
Mrs. Fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:15 AM   #15  

I was overweight during my highschool years, got bullied, affected all the aspects of my life. Now is all better thoug
Cherrypar is offline   Reply With Quote