What can you eat (and what should you avoid) after having gallbladder removed?

• My mom is having her gallbladder removed today. She's also diabetic. I'd like to take some food this weekend so she doesn't have to cook or rely on my dad.

Any ideas? Has anyone been through this?
  • I didn't actually change much but those first few days, for me, were painful. I would consider some brothy soups (maybe veggie). The biggest change, for me, was if I ate alot of fat I would sometimes have to go to the bathroom. Now that I am eating higher fat, I don't have that issue as often but at the time I wasn't so I would stick to lower fat items since you don't know how her body will initially respond. Otherwise I'm not sure. I would recommend bread items since they are easier to digest but with diabetes I'm not sure that is a good idea. Definitely ask your dad if the surgeon gave any specific recommendations.
  • Hi there...

I definitely relate to what Shannon Snail said, I find I need to eat pretty low fat. If I eat high fat items, I make a bee line for the bathroom! Nowadays, there are lots of low fat items on the market these days, I love low fat foods, a lot of them are quite tasty. I had my gallbladder removed laparoscopically about 10 years ago, I was very sore right after the procedure.

Good luck!

Oh, maybe check out some low fat recipes and cookbooks like Cooking Light Magazine and Weight Watchers Cookbooks.

Take care,

Amy
  • Sweet of you to want to help your mom out that way.

I had my gallbladder removed a couple years ago, I think I was 48, and I did so well I was begging to go home the same day. I hope your mom has a similar experience.

Once I was allowed to eat I was able to eat anything, but since your mom is diabetic I would think a controlled carb diet would be in order. Lean meat, veggies or salad and something whole grain, perhaps?