Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #1  
I am the mirror!

S/C/G: 292.5 / Goal 135

Height: 5'7"

Default I really hope someone can help me...

I have Type II and recently had a kidney stone removed. I never want to go through that again! So I want to incorporate a kidney-diabetic friendly diet into my life. I can't eat oatmeal it raises my BS over 200 even on meds. I don't want to take the metformin anymore because of its harshness on my kidney's. So I have been told, and handed pamphlets that make no sense, about eating a low oxalate diet as well as limiting my meat protein to 6 oz a day. Currently my BS before breakfast is 170 and stays around 150 throughout the day before and after meals. I eat:

Breakfast
1 hard boiled egg
2 slice of sourdough bread
2 Tbsp of country crock light

Lunch
1/2 can tuna
2 slice of sourdough bread
1 Tbsp mustard
1/2 cup of lettuce

Snack
1 Apple small
1 string cheese

Dinner
2 corn tortilla shells (oven cooked hard)
2 cups of kale
1 Tbsp onions
4 oz of turkey taco meat from jennie-O
1/3 of green zucchini grated (in place of cheese)
2 Tbsp sour cream
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp onion powder, garlic powder
1/4 tsp or less of cajun spices
1/2 tsp cilantro

bedtime snack is the issue I think. I have been eating 2 cups of popcorn with a string cheese stick but my sugars are still high in the morning. Also i do not let more than 9 hours go by between bedtime snack and morning snack which is breakfast split in two (I eat 1 slice of bread and 1 Tbsp of the butter then 3 hours later I eat the egg and other bread). Anything would be helpful. I am looking for a healthy protein filled night snack. and kidney friendly ideas!
Bigbeautifulmama2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi, I had to google "oxylates" because I didn't know what they were. I am assuming that the doctor gave you a list of what to eat and what not to eat, but if not, here's a list I found online.

http://www.ohf.org/docs/OxalateContent092003.pdf

Since you already have kidney issues, it's important to get your glucose levels down, as high blood sugar can cause more damage. Your numbers really aren't that bad. Mine were so much worse, just a couple months ago.

I was diagnosed type II in 2008, but I think I had it for a while before being diagnosed. I do take Metformin. The past year my glucose reading were creeping up higher than I care to admit and I knew I needed to take action. I cut out practically all carbs and started eating a lot of vegetables, mostly cooked and got back to exercising and my BS has dropped pretty good.

Your diet doesn't look bad. Here's what I would do. I would try to find a different bread. The bread I eat, when I eat bread, is called Nickles 35 lite. It might not be available in your area, but it is very thin small slices that are 35 calories each, so eating 2 slices compares to 1 slice of most other breads. You're getting less, but you still have 2 slices if you want to make a sandwich. I think Pepperige Farm has something similar.

I would try to eat only one slice at breakfast, and only eat it when you're eating your egg. The first slice of bread you're eating is turning right into glucose since you're eating it alone. Always have a protein and fat with a carb. They slow down the absorption of the carbs.

(I almost always have eggs for breakfast. I use 1 serving of egg beaters and 1 egg and scramble them. I add things to it, like sauteed mushrooms, wilted kale or spinach, onion, and a sprinkling of black beans. I buy them in a can and separate them into 1/4 c servings in little snack bags. All the snack bags go into a freezer bag and into the freezer. Each day I take out a bag, run some water over it to defrost, then keep them in the fridge, adding some to my eggs, and some to my salad or veggies at lunch.)

Instead of a tuna sandwich at lunch with 1/2 c lettuce, you could make a big salad, using other veggies besides lettuce and mix your tuna into the salad.

(I usually just have steamed vegetables for lunch. Kale, carrots, brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, or a tossed salad. We eat dinner early, so lunch is small.)

You could do the same with the tacos at dinner. Instead of using the shells, make it into a taco salad. Really, you could do one or the other, either the sandwich or the tacos.

(For dinner I usually cook a normal dinner for my husband and I, and I eat whatever I made for him, eating more vegetables and omitting whatever starch I prepared for him.)

Add as many vegetables into your diet as you can. They provide nutrients that your body needs. I would stay away from the popcorn. I know it spikes my bloodsugar. Some things I like for snacks are Edemame. They are soybeans, and I buy them shelled, frozen. I just defrost them and eat them as they are. They look like lima beans but are high in protein. I don't know if you are allowed soy products. Another thing I like is hummus. It's made from chickpeas and is good fiber. I eat it with celery sticks and red and yellow pepper strips. You could also eat Jello. They have sugar-free that isn't bad, and you can even top it with Redi-whip, that stuff that squirts out of a can. It's really low calorie.

And exercise. A walk after dinner helps. Because you are not taking meds you have to be a little more diligent, but you can do it.

Good luck to you.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:02 PM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Sorry i just posted and realised you want a night snack. so give me a minute to think of something.

I don't know too much about your medical conditions but i assume that the kidney stones mean you can't eat a higher protein type diet. Is that right?

I think sourdough bread is a good bread. Its lower GI than other white breads and its also very yummy. but if crock light is a type of butter or margarine, i'm wondering why you need so much of it on your bread?

I would definltey suggest more vegetables at lunch time.

What about dairy? How come you are not eating dairy? What are you doing for calcium and your bones?
If you include vegetables at every meal, you will find this easier.

Here is the salad i had yesterday for lunch. I also had a very nice light red lentil soup which i will tell you how to cook and something else.

Salad:
1/2 beetroot finely grated
1 carrot finely grated
1 stick celery sliced
1 cup leafy greens chopped up
a few fresh basil leaves diced
You can add any other vegies like cucumber, capsicum, tomatoes, onion etc, if you want more.
1-2 tsp cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
1-2 tsp balsamic vinegar
30g crumbled fetta cheese (best quality)
1 heaped tsp of mixed seeds (grind them if using linseeds)/5 half walnuts, broken up.

Red lentil soup:
if you think of it, soak your lentils overnight, discard the water and fresh for boiling
1 cup red lentils (about 250grams)
2-3 cups of water

Boil until mushy. Blend til smooth
add salt till it tastes lightly salty. If the soup tastes bland, you need more salt.

One serve would be 1-2 cups of soup.
Before you decide to add anything else to this soup recipe, try it like this first and then you will know if other things Improve it or not. For me this is the way i like it best.

Red lentils are high in protein and carbs - about 20g protein per 100g. Lentils and legumes are good for taking cholesterol out of your blood. They are good for your bowels. They are comparatively low in calories.

After that yesterday i had 1/2 cup natural yoghurt with one fresh date and one dried fig. That was my lunch.

Another tip i've got for you. Vary your cheeses. Keep serving size to about 30grams Try more traditional and strong flavoured cheeses like aged cheddar cheese, parmesan, romano, pecorino. Fetta is a strong flavoured cheese. When i use these sorts of cheese, i don't need to eat a lot of it. And mainly i just use it to add flavour to other dishes.

Make your tuna into a big salad. Add in diced tomatoes, 1tsp finely chopped onion, cucumber, capsicum, anything else. This will bulk up your meal, add more nutrients, make it easy to get your vegies, enable you to eat less bread.

A nice dressing for tuna salad would include diced raw garlic if you like it. cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar or fresh lemon juice, parsley. fresh crushed black pepper. You could try adding 1/2 cup of pasta into the mix as well. Then you might be able to leave out the bread altogether.

Last edited by Pattience; 04-24-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #4  
banned

In place of popcorn, try 1/2 cup of natural yoghurt with a diced apple or pear in it.

Or 1 cup of milk

But do you really need a bedtime snack?

a wholegrain cracker biscuit like ryvita and a small piece of cheese and a glass of water to take away the yummy salty moreish taste.

or just the cracker with no cheese.

Or just fruit.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:07 PM   #5  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

I think the previous posters have given some good advice. I would second the recommendation to nix the bread and popcorn. Alternatively find a low carb thinner bread as Carol Sue mentioned. I make my own breads using wheat free low carb recipes. I don't eat them often though. I find the less bread I eat, the less I want. I also eat eggs at breakfast and while it gets a tad boring it seems to really give a good solid start to my day. What is that saying? Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper. When I make tacos there is always meat leftover so lately I've been eating 3 of the thinner crunchy shells (~18 g carbs) with my meal then using the leftover meat for taco salads at lunch the next day or two. If I do eat a snack after dinner it is usually nuts or a lower carb trail mix. I like baking wheat free sugar free cookies and such as well so sometimes I eat a couple cookies (these do not raise my BS). I have seen improvement in my BS with cutting out bread and other higher carb foods like pasta, potatoes, rice, higher glycemic fruits and processed snacks.
Shannonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:22 PM   #6  
I am the mirror!

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Yes Patience you are correct I am allowed only 6 oz of meat based protein a day. I eat a bedtime snack because when I don't my BS reaches over 200. Diabetes is weird not the same for all so its hard to find the right way to eat for you. I eat some dairy mainly just the string cheese, I am lactose sensitive and too much dairy is bad for my tum tum, and the people who share the potty. I take vitamin sups and have been looking for calcium rich veggies. Country crock light is a type of spread, and the toasts are just large, I measured today to be sure and well my eyeballing wasn't good it was about a Tablespoon only. I am going to work on it and will keep ya'll updated, again thank you!
Old 04-24-2014, 11:40 PM   #7  
banned

I understand that lactose sensitive people can usually eat yoghurt without drama. Go for natural. unsweetenened and no added cream. Have you ever tried that? I love that style of yoghurt. I never eat sweetened, or rather rarely.

Yes i have read that diabetics are better off eating more regularly than non-diabetics.

With calcium, you know that it is taken up in combo with other minerals. I think its vitamin D and phosphorus or potassium. I can't quite remember.

Avocado is a nice alternative to butter/spread as well.

And even straight olive oil, especially with sourdough is divine.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #8  
I am the mirror!

Yes I just saw that Avocado is good and not too high in the bad stuff for my kidneys. I also found that Chick peas are OK. So I made some hummus without tahini in it and ate that last night. BS was good. I will be going out to get some Avocado's today to add to the hummus to use as a spread instead of the margarine.

i usually don't have issues with yogurt but never tried plain so I will get some of that and add it in...Thanks for that!
Old 04-25-2014, 04:37 PM   #9  
banned

What's wrong with tahini. I know its got a lot of oil in it but still… if its not bad for your kidneys, you should be able to use some of it. I remember once having to make hummus without tahini, i just can't think what i used instead. I guess you just have to put in more olive oil.

Oh yes plain yoghurt is one of my all time favourite foods but there are nice ones and not nice ones so you might have to experiment with different brands until you find the ones you like.

Read the labels and if possible look for one without added cream or any other added things. In America it seems that they call greek yoghurt what we call natural yoghurt. But here, Greek yoghurt seems to have added cream so just check it out. It might take you a few goes to get to like it but keep trying.

I like it with fresh fruit or stewed fruit such as apple or rhubarb. These things give it a touch of sweetness.

Also if you find the yoghurt you like, you will be able to use it instead of sour cream on your taco, if not now, then down the track.

its also nice on some meats with added garlic. i.e. especially lamb.

And its also nice on vegetables.

And its also great to cook vegetables in instead of cream. The indians use yoghurt well in some of their recipes.

Anyway all of that is just food for thought.

I just had a look at a kidney diet thing and see now it says to limit foods with phosphorous and potassium. It sounds like you've got your work cut out for you. I guess its why you are leaving out the tahini.

Last edited by Pattience; 04-25-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:28 PM   #10  

Okay, so it's not about dieting, it's about healthy lifestyle choices. Meaning: eating healthy throughput your life, not only for '2 months'. Snack on fruits and veggies. When you think you are hungry, drink a glass of water, cause sometimes your mind may tell your hungry but, you really are thirsty. Eat slowly, and don't stuff yourself, eat until you 80% full not 100%. Eat smaller portions., and make sure to get all your food groups (fruit/veggies, dairy -low fat-, protein, meat/fish, grain ect.) Eat low fat dairy milk products such as skim milk, and 0% yogurt. exercise daily (run, jog, walk). Drink water,milk, and tea. No juice, soda or milkshakes. Also, cut down on the "white products" such as white rice, white flour, white pasta ect., try whole grain instead. When eating Packaged foods, make sure to read the Nutrition Facts for the amount of sodium, sugar and fat. And make sure they are low in those categories. NAd also, try not to starve youself, because when you do your body takes in any fate it can find and it usually ends up on you rbelly. Hope I helped. And Good Luck with you "Healthy Lifestyle"!
JoggerGirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote