Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 168/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Osteoporosis and Weight Loss

Hi! I have just returned to this site after a few years lay-off. Unfortunately I have been fighting Osteoporosis and just found out my thyroid has quit producing....

Now, I am on thyroid meds and am fighting bone loss without RX meds, because I had a very bad reaction to them.

I was told that I had to lose weight slowly so as not to lose more bone. So far, I have finally lost 14 pounds since August of last year!!!!

Anyone else, in this boat?

If so, how are you managing it all?

Thanks & Blessings!
McSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #2  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Hi, I can't offer you any advice as i'm not yet where you are at now though one day i could be.

Would you mind sharing more about what you understand of the link between osteoporosis and hypothyroidism or more about your history with these disease. I understand there is a link. I have hypothyroidism and so do and did my mother and grandmother. They also both have/had osteoporosis. My grandmother died aged 90. My mother is now 77. I'm 50.

Have you only just discovered you had a thyroid problem? And therefore have never been on meds for it before.

What are RX meds?

I'd like to know how old you are but obviously its your call.

Did the doctor say how slowly you should lose? I mean did he/she say like 1 pound in three months or one pound a month? or anything like that?

What sort of exercise program have they got you on?
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 168/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post

...Would you mind sharing more about what you understand of the link between osteoporosis and hypothyroidism or more about your history with these disease...
Glad you joined me in this quest, Pattience! First, I am by no means an expert on this matter. Second, I am learning about this condition, as I go. A little history~
Everyone in my mom's side of the family has or had Osteoporosis, male and female. We believe it could be contributed to very low vitamin D levels as far as my brother and I. My mother died at age 75 from a broken hip. She had been on Fosamax about 10 years and we now know that if on it longer than 5 years, can cause hip or femur fractures. My brother, 63 yrs started fracturing in his spine about 5 years ago and had back surgery to fuse 3 vertebrae together in his mid back. His blood tests revealed his Vit D levels were in the teens (extremely low) and put him on Fosamax for 3 yrs and then Forteo for 2 yrs. His last DEXA score showed he had reversed his Osteoporosis of -4 in his back to -2.2 Osteopenia. Praise God. I on the other hand, was Osteopenia in back and hips at 60 yrs. I discovered I was barely Osteoporosis -2.5 in my hips and still Osteopenia in my back 2 years ago. I am now 66. Unfortunately, I tried the RX's, but I had a very bad reaction and cannot take them. So I am doing bone healthy vits/supps, healthy eating and exercise. My last Dexa showed no further bone loss in my hips and a 4% improvement in my back! Nedless to day I take 8,000 units of Vit D3 daily! 500 mgs of calcium and rest from food.

Have you only just discovered you had a thyroid problem? And therefore have never been on meds for it before. What are RX meds?
I have had a low thyroid since I had my daughter, 43 years ago! The last 3 years, I had noticeable signs of hypo...thinning hair, no energy, very dry skin..., but my tests never showed I needed meds until last physical in Sept 2013. The doctor put me on Synthroid 100 mcg, but I was still exhausted, so had blood test again and even though I was in the normal range...it was still too low for me, so it was increased to 150 mcg and I am doing great! Not sure about the link, because it is the parathyroid (located behind the front thyroid glands that mess with the calcium that can certainly cause Osteoporosis! Funny, too Mom had Hyperthyroidism and my brother 's thyroid and parathyroid has been normal.

Did the doctor say how slowly you should lose? I mean did he/she say like 1 pound in three months or one pound a month? or anything like that?
He really didn't say, but I belong to NOF (National Osteoporosis Foundation blog and have learned so much helpful info, plus how to research and study for myself. I can then discuss my findings and questions with my doctor (MD with Alternative Med focus)so we can work together to achieve a healthier life!

What sort of exercise program have they got you on?
I go to a women's fitness center that used to be a Curves and I do Zuma once a week. I wear a weight belt of 10 lbs while working out. I also, love to walk and doing steps many times a day, due to living on the second floor with a doggie that needs to go out really helps!!!!
Do you have any health problems that you are dealing with while losing weight? Fill me in, please and again thanks for being there! Sometimes, it just helps to share and encourage one another...

Blessings!
McSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:06 AM   #4  
banned

No i consider myself to be a healthy person, although fat and unfit. But as mentioned i do have hypothyroidism and i also take meds for depression though that is under control at the moment.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:15 AM   #5  
banned

Oops sorry i didn't see the quote contained answers to my questions at first. Thanks for answering them.

yes so i think the osteoporosis and the hypothyroidism is hereditary in my family.

But unlike my mother and grandmother, had a good diet full of milk growing up. I also never had children. My mother was a war child when food was in shortage in london. Grandma had four babies. Mum had just two. I've also grown up with lots of sunshine and for most of my early life quite a bit of exercise particularly when very young. I"ve been much slacker throughout my adult years with only shortish periods of intense exercise.

All those are factors in the causes of osteoporosis.

I haven't really got anything else of any use to share about my situation re these diseases.

I am surprised that if it was known you had a low thyroid function many years ago that you weren't put on medication then. Do you know why they didn't?