Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 69kg/65/60

Height: 5ft

Default Improved health with weight loss

I'm just wondering if anyone has had health issues that have improved or even gone completely after losing weight? Eg, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure etc.
happybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Diabetes doesn't go away, but getting your diet under control and exercising lowers blood sugar. I don't know if my blood pressure would be better on its own but it is down because I take meds for it and diabetes. I know that I feel better than I have for the last couple of years. I can go up and down our stairs with ease and walk 5 miles without a problem. I take medicine for gout and haven't had an attack (if you have gout you know that is an accurate word- attack) in six months which gave me the ability to move more.
lotsakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I've had alot of improvement with my arthritis and chronic back pain, which has helped with my insomnia as well.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsakids View Post
Diabetes doesn't go away, but getting your diet under control and exercising lowers blood sugar.

Well... just last night I was at a meeting of endocrinologists and nephrologists talking about diabetes. (I'm a medical writer.) Several doctors said that early type 2 diabetes CAN actually go away if people lose weight. They said they've seen it happen several times in their own practices. However, you can't just lose a few pounds and expect to reverse diabetes: you have to lose all your excess weight so you reach the normal BMI range.

That's why doctors don't push this approach: in their experience most people can't achieve or sustain this type of weight loss. So they push pills instead -- which may accelerate diabetes progression in the long run.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #5  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

my blood sugar numbers were into the prediabetes range and now every time I test in the mornings, it's reading in the normal range....also some strange skin rashes cleared up and I don't know the cause or the cure but it happened

however I still deal with asthma especially when exercising hard
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote