Improved health with weight loss

• I'm just wondering if anyone has had health issues that have improved or even gone completely after losing weight? Eg, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure etc.
  • Diabetes doesn't go away, but getting your diet under control and exercising lowers blood sugar. I don't know if my blood pressure would be better on its own but it is down because I take meds for it and diabetes. I know that I feel better than I have for the last couple of years. I can go up and down our stairs with ease and walk 5 miles without a problem. I take medicine for gout and haven't had an attack (if you have gout you know that is an accurate word- attack) in six months which gave me the ability to move more.
  • I've had alot of improvement with my arthritis and chronic back pain, which has helped with my insomnia as well.
  • Quote: Diabetes doesn't go away, but getting your diet under control and exercising lowers blood sugar.

Well... just last night I was at a meeting of endocrinologists and nephrologists talking about diabetes. (I'm a medical writer.) Several doctors said that early type 2 diabetes CAN actually go away if people lose weight. They said they've seen it happen several times in their own practices. However, you can't just lose a few pounds and expect to reverse diabetes: you have to lose all your excess weight so you reach the normal BMI range.

That's why doctors don't push this approach: in their experience most people can't achieve or sustain this type of weight loss. So they push pills instead -- which may accelerate diabetes progression in the long run.

F.
  • my blood sugar numbers were into the prediabetes range and now every time I test in the mornings, it's reading in the normal range....also some strange skin rashes cleared up and I don't know the cause or the cure but it happened

however I still deal with asthma especially when exercising hard