Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 271/265/170

Height: 5'5

The only studies that I have read speak of upopposed estrogen in women who still have a uterus. Unopposed estrogen in women with a uterus does have an increased risk of uterine and endometrial cancers. My Dr. has said that estrogen and progesterone replacement is only for women with a uterus but that a woman without a uterus needs estrogen. I will speak to him at my next check up about testosterone. I don't know if my exhaustion will resolve on it's own or not. My other symptoms are resolved and my libido is totally normal.
Shannon1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #17  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon1976 View Post
I'm very concerned I will gain a ton of weight now that I am in menopause. I have already noticed the scale creeping up on me.
Shannon1976, I had the same surgery as you, when I was 45. Honestly, I did gain weight afterwards, but it was because I was in so much emotional turmoil that I decided to soothe myself with food. After another major surgery 2 years later, I decided that the soothing with food had to stop, and I lost all the weight I had put on (50+ pounds). I do believe that it is possible to not gain weight (although it does take some caloric adjustment downwards) and I am proof that it is possible to lose weight post-menopause. Good luck to you!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 271/265/170

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf123 View Post
Shannon1976, I had the same surgery as you, when I was 45. Honestly, I did gain weight afterwards, but it was because I was in so much emotional turmoil that I decided to soothe myself with food. After another major surgery 2 years later, I decided that the soothing with food had to stop, and I lost all the weight I had put on (50+ pounds). I do believe that it is possible to not gain weight (although it does take some caloric adjustment downwards) and I am proof that it is possible to lose weight post-menopause. Good luck to you!
Thank you for the encouragement! Congratulations on meeting your goal! I know I have been eating too much here at home, it's been a long 4 boring weeks. I just started knitting to distract myself from eating all day long. I also stopped drinking soda. I'm hoping a few little changes will help me lose some weight and that will help keep me motivated. My partner and I are having a wedding next September so I'd also like to be happier about my appearance for the wedding.
Shannon1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Perhaps I'm one of the luckier ones, but I didn't find it substantially more difficult to lose 50 pounds at age 54 than I did at 16. I lost a bit more slowly, but I ate 1,500 cals per day and didn't limit any foods, including bread and other carbs. I'm now 56 and maintain on a high-carb, 2,000-calorie diet. I suppose I must in perimenopause (but have no symptoms), though I'm still getting periods.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 150/130/125

Height: 5'4" 42 years old

I am in menopause for 2 years (surgery) , I am 38 now, no HRT. I was very worried about gaining weight and completely avoided carbs right after surgery. I went to surgery at 133 lb and 6 month after I was 120. Did not counted calories at all. In Jan 2013 I have decided that I can try to have carbs again. Well, I am at 134lb this morning and all the fat is on my belly...so I am back on low carb and will give up my wine for a month as well, I also practice IF (black coffee only until noon).

For me, its is carbs 100% what makes me gain weight.

Last edited by onthedietagain; 09-22-2013 at 09:13 AM.
onthedietagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 154/145/130

Height: 5'-6" roughly

It's good to hear from some that have lost weight during and post menopause. I really feel defeated. I haven't had a period in over two years and have put on so much weight in that time. Now I'm at my all time highest. It's unhealthy and I don't feel like myself anymore. I have thyroid issues as well. Depressing.

I'm with onthedietagain - carbs are evil.
Crimzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimzon View Post
It's good to hear from some that have lost weight during and post menopause. I really feel defeated. I haven't had a period in over two years and have put on so much weight in that time. Now I'm at my all time highest. It's unhealthy and I don't feel like myself anymore. I have thyroid issues as well. Depressing.

I'm with onthedietagain - carbs are evil.
Hi.. I'm not new to 3 FCs but haven't done much reading or posting on the general and main forums.

Your comment about carbs being evil grabbed me. I too have a problem metabolizing carbs. You may want to look at a fat burning, protein sparing protocol that uses carbs that are real low on the glycemic index (and provide a source of high fiber). I've lost most of what I was trying to lose, and know that adding only a moderate amount carbs to my diet, and mostly those that come from veggies will be key in maintaining my loss. Lucky for me ( sort of) is that I am Gluten intolerant ...so that leaves a lot of things off my plate and has for years. Now I'll do a modified paleo which uses almond flour ( instead if rice flour which is in most GF substitutes.) and other flours that are low glycemic to make my own bread. Wheat is outrageously high anyway...) I don' t miss cereal and cookies much anymore so I'm not adding that back in unless it's a rare treat and made flourless or with low a GI flour. GF oatmeal occasionally ..maybe. There are other GF grains/cereals I'm exploring, but no wheat, oats, rye or barley. Ever. It's a lifestyle change. But I've lost over 70 lbs since the holidays last year...and "Never goin back!" --(-Al Rokers' book. Which is personal and painfully tells his weightless journey. We all have demons... No one has the identical story). The right diet for you is the one that works.

I've learned I'm carb sensitive in addition to gluten intolerant and that is critical in how I eat now and forever. It does matter where my calories come from. I convert carbs to fat ...easily and quickly, and lost belly fat first and fast on a fat burning protein sparing diet. My dr gave it her blessing in March after I'd lost over 20 lbs, and monitored all blood work this year. She was going to put her own husband on it after she saw me almost 6 months later in August! Good luck finding what helps you. I'm 65 and was trying to lose 65 before my B-day ... And did it.

Last edited by 65X65; 10-07-2013 at 07:54 AM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 196/196/147

Height: 5ft 3"

I had the same surgery in March and find the hardest thing is the tiredness. I thought I would be past it by now. I have learned that getting your feet up for twenty minutes when you are really tired seems to recharge the batteries whereas if I try keep going, it can take a lot longer to get back. I found that once I hit the 6 - 8 weeks after the surgery, I was much better and back walking and cycling (although again in moderation) Take care and look after yourself.
Polnuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #24  
this space for rent

S/C/G: 274/274/140

Height: 5'8"

I had my ovaries& uterus removed a year ago-just five months after my mastectomy. I have gained all of the weight i lost back. Now that I am able to work out again, the biggest mental block i have is dealing with the physical strength i've lost. its also harder to lose weight now that I'm menopausal, so i'm currently trying a higher protein diet. we'll see how it goes
eroica27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 180/See Ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I lost my weight while going through menopause. Two periods spaced about 6 months apart. Suspect there won't be any more periods, hurrah.

The only difference I found was weight loss was probably just a little slower than when I was younger, but not appreciably so. What was more important is that I HAD to exercise. Which is good for me anyways. My improvements in strength, stamina, balance, etc are amazing. I love to travel and need those skills. I exercise 90 minutes a day, 5-6 days per week. Probably 60/40 cardio/strength.

What was interesting was how the weight I carried in the late 40s before I lost was so different. Previously I had gained weight all over, when I gained at all. The weight gained in the 40s went only to my waist and face. It was that weight that skyrocketed by triglycerides, and when I lost the weight by bloodwork was better than it had ever been (exercise helped there too I am sure). My resting heart rate is lower than in my 20s

So - yeah - you can get a LOT better through menopause!
delmarva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:48 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 166/166/145

Height: 5'7"

Default Thanks for sharing

Hello, everyone. I just joined. I went through menopause about 18 months ago. The hot flashes were brutal and last about 4 months, then ended - why, I don't know. Now I have this belly fat that just sits there no matter what. I'll be checking in for ideas on this journey. Thank you and keep up the slow hard work!
MenopauseMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:09 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 150/130/125

Height: 5'4" 42 years old

Hi ladies,

How is everyone doing? Since my last post I am still straggling and go on and off low carb, then count calories without any success, then go low carb again...its just crazy and Canadian long winter doesn't help.

Today I am going on low carb again and will do my best to stay on the plan. I am going on vacation in 3 weeks and need to lose few pounds , especially this fat around my belly.

How is everyone managing ?
onthedietagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #28  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I did surgical menopause at age 31. A long family history of endometriosis, and fibroid tumors, and ovaries that like get fossilized!

I had one successful pregnancy, at 20 years old, that resulted in twins, at full term and after that, one miscarriage, at 21. After that no birth control until my hysterectomy, never got pregnant again!

I was sicker and crazier than crap for about a year, before my total hysterectomy. Hormones raging, periods out of whack, grumpy, GRR!

I am so thankful, that my Dh, hung in there with me, and I found a great gyno!

My Dr. was great!

I did do some HRT for awhile, and did wean off of it.

As far as the weight issue, once I got straightened out, what works for me is higher protein and lower carbs. As far as exercise, I power walk, my knees don't like running, I'm 54! But I also strength train! Love that!

I have noticed in the last few months, I'm again, having some menopausal issues, warm flashes, grumpy, etc.

So, I called my Dr. I did all this menopause thing, at 30, I'm 54, what gives? I have no ovaries, no crib, etc. Just a play pen!

Well, it turns out, my body now that it is older, seems to think, I need to do this whole menopause thing again. Thankfully in a milder form.

So, in a nutshell. Lots of lean protein, lots of veggies, (me and fruit don't work) I do eat a baked potato now and then, keep calcium in mind, and continue my power walking and weight lifting. Lifting is a good thing. It builds muscle, and is great for dodging the bullet of osteoperosis!

It did take me awhile to find a balance, but if you stick with it, menopause, while a trial, (deep sigh) can be managed.

I feel for all of you who are struggling with this.

Hang in there, get a good Dr. and take a breath, it can be managed, just takes some time!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:22 PM   #29  

Check out webMD. Lots of research has been done into the metabolism boosting qualities in green tea. Also soy products, like tofu, soy milk, etc. are known to soothe the less pleasant effects of menopause.
JoggerGirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote