Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Default Synthroid and weight loss

I had a thyroidectomy in early April and was placed on Synthroid. There was an initial weight gain due to binging for a few days and being hospitalized for some complications (the weight gain was primarily water weight and came off quickly).

Before going to the hospital I was at about 174. After the hospital, water weight and binging I was around 180 but that came back down to 173 two weeks ago. This morning I was at 169. This may not seem like much difference, but I have binged twice - and after the last time, I dropped 3 pounds.

I am not trying to lose weight; I am just trying to maintain. But it seems like I'm losing weight easier than I ever have before. I am somewhat relieved because i was afraid of weight gain after losing my thyroid, but i am also curious.

Have any of you lost weight faster after starting on Synthroid? All I have ever heard is complaints about weight gain or difficulty losing weight on Synthroid. Could my dose be too high? I don't have any hyperthyroid symptoms. Or maybe my dose is just right and for the first time I know what it is like to have a normal metabolism?
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #2  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

I posted something on this topic a week or so ago, but didn't get any response. I'm hypothyroid, and have recently changed from Levoxyl to Synthroid due to a drug recall, and I've been losing steadily since the day I switched!

I had been on a plateau since about November, which I found puzzling, since I was sticking to plan, but I tried to just "hang in there." When the scale started moving, I really didn't know what could be causing it, but I thought back to the change in my medication, which was the only thing different.

I'm not sure if the effect will last, but so far, so good. My goal is around the same as yours, so if this helps me get that far, then I'm all for it! Hope your experience is positive, too!
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote