Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #1  

Default Hyper mobility? :(

Anybody else have it? How do you exercise? All I'm doing at the moment is walking and it would be great to have some variation!
LauraLouu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 196/see ticker/140

Height: 5'1"

I am hypermobile and it has never stopped me from exercizing. In fact a lot of gymnists and dancers are hypermobile. If you have Marfan's or severe Ehlers–Danlos syndrome to the point where you are dislocating joints and tearing ligaments all over the place, then your health care providers can advise you on limitations. I did have to have reconstructive surgery for pelvic organ prolapsse but that really had nothing to do with exercize. It was genetics plus giving birth. I dance, walk, swim, do T-Tapp, yoga.

I don't run because the loose joints in my feet cause the bones to rub against each other and it's painful. So I won't put myself through that. But no one ever said I couldn't.
nonamortica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 232/226/160

Height: 5'3

I am hypermobile with psoriatic arthritis and still get out and excercise most days. Walking on the treadmill is great for those days I just can't handle anything else. I also enjoy riding the recumbant bike, stair stepper (when my knees aren't too cranky), Zumba, and BootyBarre classes. I have learned to tape certain joints that are more used in the excercise I plan on doing that day, if they are causing problems.
momma2bugandbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #4  
Slender Nerdess Inside...

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'0"

Mostly walking, swimming, and ZUMBA! One of my favorite workout songs to listen to is "I like to move it." That song always has a way of making me wanna get up and shake my tush!
tehshort1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #5  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

I am hyper-mobile due to Elhers-Danlos type III. I just need to make sure that my knees and shoulders are protected. I found that losing weight and gaining muscle/strength actually makes my joints MORE stable, less prone to injury, and less painful.

As was mentioned, if you have a specific diagnosis, talk with your doctor not only to protect your joints, but your heart as well (very often, hyper-mobility syndromes have issues related to the body's connective tissue, including those found in the heart).
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote